I almost lost my 4 y.o. Today

@hisvictor Kudos to grandma for calling right away and not trying to “quick fix it” herself IMO. Ever seen arrested development? Can you stage a situation where he’s defiant to try to scare him straight a little? Note : staged so you control the environment and safety.

@hisvictor That sounds really scary and I’m sorry you’re going through this. I think a good idea would be AirTag with this Kaizen Kreations AirTag holder so you can clip it into inside of pants where it can’t be easily removed by the kid. I haven’t used it, but I saw it recommended in a different thread and saved it because I thought it looked like such a good idea!

Kaizen Kreations Airtag Holder for Kids Hidden Compatible with Apple Airtag Holder. GPS Tracker for Kids, Tracking Device for Kids, Airtag for Kids, Airtag Kids Hidden (Gray, 1-Pack) https://a.co/d/5QhL5Ch

@hisvictor We have a ElevationLab holder for our daughter’s AirTag attached to her backpack strap. You can’t remove it without a star screwdriver. Just a thought to keep in mind and I think they’re water resistant. We also use an AirTag holder that is like an Apple Watch band.

It sounds like the insole AirTag holder is the best option so far.

@hisvictor I’d probably go for a tile and used one of those medical bandages over the top of it between his shoulder blades. It should stay put for a few days at a time and he won’t be able to reach it.

@hisvictor I just want to say I’m so sorry. That must have been so traumatic. I’m glad your child is safe. Keep us updated on the tracking device because I also have a willful child.

@hisvictor What about an apple AirTag if you have iPhones? You can buy a little strap for them to make them into something that’s wearable like a watch or lace them through their shoelace. I think you need to be within 15 feet of an iPhone with Bluetooth though, but as far as I’m aware it can be any phone and it’ll always show the last connected position which would give you somewhere to start at least. My kid is also a runner and my brother suggested AirTags because he uses them on his dogs collars.

@hisvictor I purchased a jiobit for my child. Put it on her shoe. My only complaint is that it doesn’t track in real time which I needed for my runner. It updates location. every 2 minutes.

@hisvictor I’d try those gps trackers that typically are for pet collars, you get real time location all the time, only downside to AirTags is they have to be within 200ft of an iPhone to accurately ping