I’m going to Uk for a week but I’m lying to my parents about it and now I feel really guilty

@ryanmessy As someone who has done a lot of international travel and works full time dealing with young adults traveling internationally it’s incredibly dangerous to go abroad without anyone knowing your whereabouts. While I think lying to your parents about where you’re going is a horrible decision, not telling anyone other than your friend who is traveling with you is a worse decision. God forbid something happens to you or both of you, your parents have no idea where to tell police to start looking for you. Human trafficking is real and it’s happening all over the world every day and young inexperienced teenage girls abroad on their own are perfect targets. I vote you tell your parents but if not please tell SOMEONE where you are going and when you should return and share your itinerary with them.

@holty Human trafficking is more likely to happen in the UK than in Syria. A simple google search will reveal the increase in violent and terroristic attacks in the UK over the last year or two. Especially random knife attacks and violence against women. Like I said, I work in an industry that monitors these things. As a female traveler you should never let your guard down just because you’re in Europe….

@jeffreyanovero This is such fear mongering. Yes, be vigilant. Be smart about it. There is violence anywhere you go. But the UK is a safe country for solo female travellers and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. I think whatever work you do might be skewing your perspective a bit.

@holty It’s fear mongering to tell a teenager traveling abroad for the first time in their life to meet a stranger from the internet that they should let someone know where they are going and be careful of predators and human trafficking? 😂 Okay.

@ryanmessy As a mother i know it can be difficult to back off your kids. I dont know your specific situation so i can't say if youre justified or not but i must say- someone HAS to know where you are, who you are with and how to get ahold of you and your friend. If not your parents- then someone old enough to not just assume youre fine if they cant get ahold of you or something seems off who will contact your family if they are concerned. You wouldnt be the first to go missing on a vacation to another country. I listen to true crime every day and every single one thought itd never happen to them- and a good portion went with someone they thoroughly trusted who turned on them. Id say go- but be safe about it. I disagree with those saying youre wasting money and all that. Life is for living- but adults stand on their decisions and take precautions to ensure they keep living. You MUST be safe if youre going to go. Id have someone check in throughout your stay there religiously to ensure nothing has gone bad.

@ryanmessy There are going to be lots of things you do in your adult life that your parents won’t agree with. You have to get used to telling them things they won’t like.

For safety’s sake, in case you got into an accident or some other trouble while abroad, you need to tell them where you’re going. If you absolutely cannot tell them, then tell some other trusted adult who can be an emergency contact.

@ryanmessy It is unfortunate that you can't trust your parents with your true whereabouts. In my opinion your parents are making a huge mistake in not letting you travel and causing you to hide your plans from them. I would just make sure that someone you trust who is responsible knows where you are in case you get in trouble.

@ryanmessy My kid just turned 18. Id feel pretty nervous about flying somewhere, let alone out of country. But if she talked to me about it and I knew what was happening I think I’d be ok. I’m just worried about her safety. She pulls the she’s 18 stuff on me, but she’s barely 18, somewhat grew up sheltered (at least compared to me growing up). So I’m on her a bit more. I had friends with super strict religious parents, they always were the sneakiest ones. I don’t know what your relationship with parents is, but they will have to get over their fears and trust you and pulling this might not be the best but you know you’re parents best. I hope you have fun and I hope you are being safe!

@ryanmessy I’m confused by this whole post and all the comments. Are you not an adult? Why even lie to your parents in the first place? Just tell them and do what you want.