I’m conflicted about going back on b.c

gladtobeelect

For context, I’m 25 and have a pretty regular, unproblematic period, now.

Main point at pt.9
  1. So I’ve been on and off the pill for years. First got it at 16, not by choice, for 3 months. Back on it again at 20, off by 22 because I felt like my body never had a chance to “normalize.” As I grew to be an adult. Got on again at 23, off by 24 for 3 months. On one more year, and now I have been letting my body mellow out for the past year.
  2. Started with Ortho tri cyclen lo, then every generic version of it up til Tri-sprinetic.
  3. Idk why I was put on it at 16, but every time after had been for vanity/sex; moderate acne. Every time I had gotten off before, my body went back to normal. Aside from this time, though the breakouts are roughly the same, I’ve begun to breakout on my arms and shoulders. Thinning hair/a bald spot on the side of my head, and a drastically shorter period (2 days, but that’s a godsend).
  4. This last go around of pills, I have definitely noticed how depressed it made me feel and I do not want to go back to that feeling. At the same time, I want to go back on because I feel more self conscious about my acne than ever, even more so that I’m 25 and still breakout, while freshman college me had finally had control of my acne and had cleared up my skin.
  5. Now I am considering going back on but with much more reservation than ever before. I feel like myself again and my body has finally found a balance again, recovering from the withdrawal period. I love how I feel now but am afraid of the depression. It wasn’t so severe that something could happen, but I felt not right. The worse mental stages being around/on my “period.”
  6. I’ve been feeling pressures by my parents, though they mean no harm, and my SO of 5 years to go back on. He knows my reservations and reassures me that it’s not something I have to do. My parents say it more in a way referring to my acne. So I finally folded and now I’m conflicted on if I should really go on b.c. Or stay off, which I know is all of personal choice.
  7. If I were to go on I want to try another method, preferably the implant, but I’m afraid of the side affects it may have on me. Like excessive weight gain and the lack of control you have over knowing when my cycle will start. Versus the iud where it seems like a longer adjustment period, the uncontrolled nature of spotting and full out bleeding. Also the terrifying fear of it getting logged or ripped out, despite knowing I can check it or have an OBGYN check it.
    Though I would be fine with the pills, with my job and life in general now, things are to hectic and I might forget to take it. Never had a problem with sticking on schedule or missing days before.
  8. I Really just don’t know what to do or which to take. I have expressed concerns with my Doctor and they gave me a three months prescription of Ortho. So I can have some more time to mull it over.
  9. What are everyone’s experiences with the implant or iud? What should I look for. I definitely researched and was dead set on the implant walking into the doctors office, but it all left me with more questions on what to do and what to choose.
If you read this far, thank you. You are a saint.(excuse my grammar)

@gladtobeelect The one method that won't give you any hormonal side effects is the copper IUD. It brings no hormones to the table so you don't get hormonal side effects from it. If you believe that not getting hormonal side effects is worth it even if you may get heavier, crampier, and/or longer periods (at least in the first few months while adjusting), then go for it!

With the implant you don't have a cycle so everything you get is irregular bleeding. Some may not get any bleeding at all - that falls under "irregular bleeding" too!

Hormonal IUDs may have a lower dosage but if you're acne prone I wouldn't recommend it. They might cause an increase in acne because they have no estrogen and have a very androgenic progestin, and honestly "localized hormones" is bullcrap to me, nothing is "localized". But women tend to keep their natural cycles (so ovulation and hormonal ups and downs and all that) but bleed less and less (and sometimes stop bleeding) during the "period" part.

There is a link in the sidebar about weight gain and it's a myth. There is no direct weight gain created out of nothing on hormonal methods (except for the shot, for some reason). Other ways it can affect your weight is water retention (which shouldn't be excessive and should subside shortly), or increasing your appetite (so it's ultimately eating extra calories and giving in to the cravings that gain one weight but that happens regardless of you being on birth control or not if you think of it!).

Back