I’m [23F] about to be a single mom of 2

@happyhippopot Mama you totally have this. I only have my one, but the peace I had leaving an abusive relationship was so worth the work. My home is my safe place now. If the kids get fast food for dinner occasionally so you can take a breath then go for it. I’d start thinking of life hacks - things you can do to make your lives easier. Give yourself grace, you are a badass single mom who is raising 2 amazing kids ❤️❤️❤️

@happyhippopot I have found focusing on personal development has had a tremendous impact on my ability to move forward after the abusive relationship with LO's father.

Everyday single day, I listen to something inspiring, something informative, something that gives me perspective, something to help me grow as a human being, a mother, friend, etc. It helps me focus, for just a little while, on the only thing in this world I can control: myself.

Audiobooks, podcasts, youtube videos, anything you can listen to while you do something mundane, cooking, cleaning, driving, playing games on your phone, etc.

If you're interested, I've listed some recommendations.
  • "Boundaries" By Dr Cloud or some other book on boundaries - very important when exiting an abusive relationship; often Boundaries get smashed to pieces and the one person is made wrong.. A LOT. It gave me tools to use in coparenting and other relationships. It gave me some of my power back.

(It is Christian based and while I am not Christian, I'm. into good values.)
  • The Bert show podcast - something lighthearted, my go to when I need a pick-me-up.They are redefining morning radio shows. Great personalities, funny, good values, a little bit of drama (listeners emails, calls etc) for some spice, they all add something and balance each other out. I'm not doing them justice.
-Mel Robbins - my current go to. Pragmatic, but still empathic. If you'd like to manage stress, she has multiple free tools etc. If you're interested, I'll find them to link.

@happyhippopot Single dad 43m with daughter, 17f. I have always felt anxiety about the kids future; when I reach a goal it seems there is always another goal beyond. So it's a part of life I guess. I think the anxiety may be a good thing, like your version of a spidey-sense. Try to avoid looking at this thru the lenz of the trauma of divorce because that can shade everything that's usually normal. I mean, you have to process the divorce of course, some people mourn, some people do therapy, garden or adopt a pet, some people are so humiliated that they push thier feelings all the way down and turn into assholes who take no shit, not me but a friend of my cousin who I know that this happened to. (Me.) Anyway, tune into your anxiety and handle those goals. Don't let this huge transition cast a negative light on it. Your feeling all the right things; you got this.

@happyhippopot Hey,

From the sounds of it, you're already thinking in the right direction, but let's be honest, that doesn't make it easy. I went through a similar situation where I became a single parent of 3, and felt the same kinds of things. I won't lie, there were times it really sucked, but the older I get, the better it gets, and the times along the way were rewarding. You're right, I wouldn't say I've lived my life to the fullest. But I've lived it the best I can for them, and as they get older, every day, every week, every vacation, I get to spend a little more of my energy on me instead of them.

I'll say, the small stuff isn't worth sweating, as difficult as it may seem at the time.

And please, most importantly, forgive for whatever guilt you're holding against yourself. There's absolutely nothing positive that can come from that. It will only continue to hurt you, and through that, impact your children. Hanging onto that will consume part of you that you should be using on you and your children, so by not forgiving, you're doing you and your kids a disservice (in my internet-stranger opinion).

One small plus-side of being a single parent I discovered: discipline and raising the kids became easier, in that there have never been conflicting opinions on parenting. There's no one else for them to run to, no one to leave them confused as to what the actual rules are. It's your way of the highway, and I honestly believe that's a good thing.