23f cannot wait to start a family (hoping to start TTC this year)

@sashakasha OP could be neurodivergent and dealing with hyperfixation/hyperfocus. I'm ND and just decided I want a kid. I've been obsessed with all things pregnancy and parenting. This is a part of my disability, and it's okay. The fixation will die down with time. I obviously don't know her situation or mental status, but telling her to get on BC for what may be a normal reaction for her isn't helpful.

@eastsideeric It’s the same thing when birth control is prescribed for PMDD, it’s literally used to treat suicidal thoughts that occur before and during menstruation (one of the reasons I take it). It could be the hormones causing it, in which case OP would need to see her doctor for an evaluation.

@sam81 Like others have said, get married first. You should have those legal protections in place before you have a child. Also, please think about the choice to be a SAHM. There is absolutely nothing wrong with be a SAHM (and it has a lot of benefits), but you are very young. If something happens with your marriage or your husband has to be out of work for any reason, you're in a more vulnerable position because you don't have much career experience. I hope nothing bad ever happens, but it's worth considering if it would be better to work for a few years so you can keep growing your skills so that, God forbid, you have to enter the workforce after being a SAHM, you have some meaningful skills and experiences. Or, you may decide that after you have your kid you want to work part-time. I know a lot of women who do that, and they've had positive experiences.

Since deciding I (25F) want a baby, I've wanted to be a SAHM. But my hubby is a grad student, and I'm the main breadwinner, so that's not going to happen. It bums me out, but I've also realized there are benefits to me continuing with my career instead of quitting when I've only just started. I'm not a careerist, but I don't want to worry that I don't have any experience if my husband became sick, disabled, or jobless and I had to go back to work.

So, just spend some time thinking about that before you pull the trigger on being a SAHM. You can always quit your career when you have a kid, but it's harder to juggle a new job or going back to work when you've been out for a long time. But I'm excited for you and hope it all goes well! Just don't feel like you have to get pregnant now. You still have a ton of time to get your ducks in a row and still be a younger mom.

@sam81 I don’t think it’s too advantageous at all, and instead I think people in this sub have a bias against younger women. I can feel your excited, and it makes me excited for you! I’m 23, going to start trying soon as well. I got married at 21, we just bought a house, we both have degrees and stable jobs etc, yet people STILL give their opinions about my age.

If y’all are ready, do it. I do think y’all should have a more serious talk about a timeline a series of events, but other than that it’s yalls life, live it how YOU want, not what bitter/judgmental people on the internet tell you would be better.

@katrina2017 People don’t like young people doing things I guess 🤷🏻‍♀️. I think some remember how they were at that age, they weren’t ready for that commitment, and then project that onto everyone in their early 20s.

Back