Hype me up and tell me I CAN do a short international flight alone with my two kids (3 years and 9 months)

docmrm

Moms,

Husband has gone above and beyond on the disappointment scale and I need a break. I’d like to fly to my home country to see my family and spend a few weeks recovering from the immense stress I’m feeling at home right now.

It’s a short international flight (just over 3 hours) and since it’s a 7pm flight I think the baby will likely sleep the whole time. Toddler might not sleep but she’s travelled with us a lot and I think she should be okay to manage. I just keep having bursts of confidence and then a lot of ‘no way, I can’t do it’

Hype me up! And if you’ve done it before tell me it will be okay!

@docmrm I only have one but she manages long haul just fine. Three hours is nothing. Your baby should sleep, let your toddler go wild with screen time. You’ve got this no worries at all. Hope you get the rest you need!

@docmrm I would highly recommend bringing an iPad or phone where you (days before) got YouTube premium and you downloaded a ton of videos for the toddler. Fully charge that puppy and bring the charger. Keep it on airplane mode so battery doesn’t drain.

This way you don’t have to rely on WiFi on the plane.

Preparation is key! Tons of snacks.

You got this!!!

@tim1451 Also only one, but I did a 4 hour international flight with a 9 month old. It was breeze! She ate, and then passed out for the whole flight! If your toddler is used to travel, then I say go for it! You’ve got this!

@alhale Came to say exactly this. Keep in mind no one will even remember what you or your kids look like after the flight if it doesn’t go well. It will be worth it ten-fold to have some space and be with your family!

@alhale Do it! At worst, it's one bad day. I've flown solo with one baby once and two kids at 1 and 4, 2 and 5, and 3 and 6. Only one time did we have a "bad" day, and it was just one leg, then it's over and you'll never see these people again. It's more challenging than normal but at worst, one bad day.

Check your bags, wear the baby, toddler leash, eat the snacks, lean in to the fun.

@docmrm Oh you’ll be great!! I’ve flown multiple times with my two kiddos without the husband; flights of 4-6+ hours including a 2 hour drive to the airport and then shuttle from parking to the terminal.

Check your luggage, bring headphones for the toddler and lots of snacks. Also, I always book seats close to the bathroom so if I need to take one to the toilet the other is right outside the bathroom.

Traveling alone with kids is like giving birth, it sucks when you’re doing it but it’s temporary and worth it 😂

You’ll do great!!

@docmrm You can do this. My kids are similar-ish ages and the trick is - baby gets his or her own seat and sits in a car seat. That way baby is secure and your hands free to deal with the 3 year old. Do not be tempted to save money with “infant in lap.” I repeat, do not make the same mistake I did - no infant in lap for a 9 month old. Second trick is - screen time rules don’t apply for us on planes. My toddler gets to watch movies the whole flight, and I’m ok with that.

The hardest part will be getting through security and getting everyone situated on the plane/off the plane. So, pack as light as you can.

@monkeym24 Thank you, that’s helpful! How did you juggle getting the carseat onboard with baby and toddler? On this side of the world our carseats are very chunky and heavy so I’m wondering if I’m missing something here?

@docmrm In addition to ordering a light/easy travel car seat, you can get special straps that are meant to strap the seat to your carryon luggage, so you can just wheel it around together. Plus, it’s okay to just be clunky and awkward with a bunch of stuff in the airport!!