How to support a gifted child?

@whittney1234 Little league was awesome for this - there was a lot of emphasis on sportsmanship. At the end of every game they lined up to say “good game” to every opponent player, win or lose. It wasn’t optional, and it started in Tball (which didn’t have winners and losers since every player rounded the bases every inning).

@aegisheart You could be describing my son at 3. He is now 20, a top student at a top university. Happy and thriving.

At 3-4 I was agonizing over what to do. His giftedness was obvious. He was behaviorally well adjusted at his montessori preschool. But his maturity was low and he had a fall birthday (before our state’s late cutoff, now changed). Socially he was a total wallflower - not disliked, not bullied, but never participating, only watching from the sidelines.

We enrolled him to start kindergarten a few weeks before he turned 5 but it never felt right. It was two teachers who changed my mind. His older brother’s kindergarten teacher, a respected old timer, asked me to reconsider - she didn’t think he was ready. But a teacher friend pointed out the thing I couldn’t quite put my finger on - his peers treated him like a younger child. He was at risk of becoming a mascot. A bell went off - suddenly I saw it.

We pulled him and found a private “JrK”. Academically he learned nothing, and I agonized over whether we made the right call. But the extra year was transformative. When I volunteered in kindergarten the following year I saw a different child, confident and self assured. A peer to his peers.

Many people choose gifted early because they are afraid that without extra challenge their kid will be bored and act out. That’s misguided, imo. Kindergarteners need to be engaged, not challenged. My son was engaged.

The sensory stuff was stressful, but over time he learned to deal with it. He needed and deserved extra time to adjust to that. He’s also dyslexic, as it turns out. There’s more than a few loose wires rattling around in that brain, but he’s so smart he defeated his first dyslexia assessment. (Conclusion: we have no idea why he can’t read, he keeps passing tests which makes no sense.)

Our schools don’t test for giftedness until 3rd grade and that’s a good thing. He was shocked when he was identified - he had no idea. (He couldn’t read, after all, and parental assurances don’t count because everybody knows parents are supposed to say that stuff.) Our schools have two tracks - self contained and supplement in place. His best friend’s mom, a teacher in the gifted program, kept her son supplemented in place. But since our son still couldn’t read we opted for self contained, which is where most of the quirky kids were.

It doesn’t matter how smart they are: happy students thrive and succeed; miserable students flail and fail. There are no bonus points for being the youngest kid to reach calcBC. What matters is developing the whole child. Don’t let the academics leave other things behind.

We had doubts in kindergarten, but none after - at every step we could see fresh evidence that we’d made the right call. For a different child, a different decision might have been better. You know her best.

@gizmorazaar This is all such well seasoned advice.

I think it is so important to consider that at a young age your child needs to learn a few things foundationally and everything beyond that is gravy. Things like how to relate to peers as you mentioned, how to regulate emotions, how to stick with a problem through frustration, how to meet physical needs and create routines, how to be handle boredom... If they get these things, as you said "there are no bonus points for being the youngest kid to reach calcBC."

@gizmorazaar Wow, you've described my son. He seems also very engaged in preschool and likes it there. But he doesn't love it and doesn't care to talk about it/his day there much.

We don't care about him being first and youngest to do X. I believed this in school and uni, so I know first hand how damaging that is.

I'm so happy for your son. I hope we can set ours on a similar path.

@aegisheart Well if our kids are comparable then I’ll offer my other standard bit of unsolicited advice. (Did you ask? No you did not; feel free to ignore, as most unsolicited parenting advice should be ignored.) The early elementary years are the easy part and are unlikely to set your kid off on the wrong foot. Don’t worry about it, just enjoy your kid. Because (cue rant mode):

Every parent tries to perfect infancy. You could fill an entire library with books on how to care for your newborn. (tl;dr: feed the input end, clean the output end, try to get some sleep.) Parents stay home if possible and focus 110% on baby. The library will next have a whole aisle of books on OMG toddlers, wtf? Lots and lots of focus and attention still - playgroups and baby gym and transition to nursery school. But after that, few general guides on how to parent. Books are more specialized - what’s wrong with my kid and how do I fix that? ADHD strategies, learning and behavioral disorders, etc. You’re presumed to know the rest. They’re in school now, we can focus on work or younger sibs or whatever.

IMO, and in the opinion of many parents after they’ve been in the trenches a while, this is misguided and potentially backwards. The key years are 11-13, or maybe 10-14. That’s when you determine how your kid will turn out. It’s hard to screw up a baby but adolescents slip off the rails all the time. They don’t need as much on a hour by hour or day by day level, but what they do need has to come from you. A nanny or teacher can redirect a 2 year old, and the more caregivers loving on them the better. Only a parent can redirect a 12 year old.

Some advise that if you could schedule only one career gap to stay home and focus on your child, do it during middle school. I will expand on that by saying if you can optimize only one stage during your child’s education, choose middle school.

Our high achieving district (college town, parents are way too education focused) only offers gifted from grades 4-8. K-3 is just kids being kids, all mixed together. My kid didn’t zoom ahead of his classmates but he was perfectly happy making macaroni portraits of George Washington while becoming a student and developing the basic soft skills, and he continued to be quite smart. He started to get a bit wobbly in 3rd though.

4-8 is where they transformed him into a scholar. So what if you’re gifted? So is everyone else in the room, nobody cares, show me what you can do. He couldn’t coast, they weren’t buying his shit. His 4th grade teacher turned him around behaviorally (the dyslexia and sensory stuff combined was overwhelming my challenging child) and his 6th grade teacher turned him into a responsible and diligent scholar. He sailed through puberty and the teen years and despite being the most stubborn kid on the planet, never gave me a bit of trouble. He did bail on calcBC though, switching to an easier track. I still think that was a mistake but his subtype of dyslexia struggles with symbols, it was his call, and it probably wouldn’t have affect the courseload for his major anyway.

@gizmorazaar Can relate to this so much. I kept my son in preschool an extra year and it was absolutely the best decision. It was mainly a social and confidence decision, and the difference a year made was obvious. He's doing 2nd grade math, but struggling with reading/spelling and I very much suspect dyslexia. I just filled out the paperwork for adhd so we're in the early stages of figuring things out. I just want to support him however his brain works. I want him to be happy and enjoy learning. I very much agree that happy well adjusted is more likely to succeed.

@aegisheart Former gifted child here (I was tested as having a 9th grade reading level in 2nd grade), who is now an anxious mess of an adult. And despite having a PhD and a great career will always feel like a failure compared to the hype I received as a kid because o haven’t like…. I dunno, cured cancer or saved all the whales or something. Soooooo many of my friends and colleagues where also formerly “gifted” kids. We’re all on anxiety meds or nuerodivergent now lmao.

Please, please please Take it easy with this!!! And make sure you let your kid be a kid. No need to push them, just let them explore their own interests. For me, the best thing my parents ever did was just getting me access to whatever books I wanted. My parents bumped me up a grade at one point and that was traumatic. I was already a late bloomer and then being a year younger than everyone one…. It was awful. It was much better for me when I had a teacher who let me work at my own pace and finish curriculum however quickly I wanted to in my correct grade. Then when I got to high school I was able to take all AP classes and those where plenty challenging for me.

Anyways just…. Be careful with this terminology and for the love of god just let your kid be a kid. Plenty of us formerly gifted kids grow up to be mediocre scientists or something, we won’t all be presidents or Nobel prize winners and that is ok.

@joyandhope Just want to say, I'd be damn proud of my kid if they became a "mediocre scientist". I hope you aren't too hard on yourself for not being president or a nobel prize winner.

@joyandhope You're being very hard on yourself. I'd be more than happy if he grew up to be a mediocre scientist.

The consensus does seem to be to keep him at age rather than intellectual development level.

@joyandhope Plus one on that, even though I didn't get the "gifted" stuff until later on. I had the joy of being about 14 in my undergrad when Dougie Howser was still on TV. Went through the Ph.D. and I'm a tenured prof at the tail end of my academic career, and--well, that whole world is built to make everyone who doesn't have a Nobel feel pretty substandard, but it feels like many of my peers share the "former gifted kid syndrome."

@joyandhope Alll of this!! I’m another ‘gifted’ child with adult anxiety, ADHD and probably ASD. Also doing a PhD. Always feeling like I haven’t fulfilled my potential - knowing that you’re ‘gifted’ from a young age sets a certain internal standard that you then have to keep up with.
My parents may be overjoyed that I’m a ‘mediocre scientist’ but I’m not.

@aegisheart IMO the way to “fuck it up” is to make it A Thing. What a lot of gifted kids want is to be allowed to be kids and not treated like they are responsible for curing cancer one day. Treat him like he’s a three year old, a sensitive three year old. Which he is. Don’t expect him to have the wisdom to accept failure, imperfection, or frustration like an adult should. Do not skip him grades. I strongly recommend against that.

My husband and I were both gifted kids who went into gifted programs as kids.
My baby is young for this but the advice I’m giving is what I would follow myself.

@simondarok Thank you for your perspective on skipping grades. I'd rather he go to 1st grade at 5 or 6.

We're definitely not pushing him to "achieve great things" because that doesn't sound healthy and has messed up some of our distant family members. We'd like him to be happy and earn enough to live comfortably.

We sometimes treat him as if he's 5 not 3 and I'm against that but husband is pro.

@aegisheart I get that, so many times I have to remind myself that my daughter is only 3, it can be easy to expect more of them because of their giftedness. But I believe we should give them the gift of time and childhood and let them be their age. There should be no rush to reach adulthood. They have years and years of formal schooling ahead

@aegisheart I fully intend to tell my daughter to take a gap year after highschool and refresh. I was pushed into going to university at 17 and being so young was definitely not good for me.

Back