How many every day shoes for 9y/o?

minh

How many every day shoes does your 9y/o have? I mean, like shoes they can wear to school and on the playground to play soccer or football on recess (i.e. closed toe sneakers)?
My son has 1 pair every day sneaker shoes and he wants another pair to change it up. Am I being a cheapskate if I say "just keep waiting"? His 1 pair are from start of the school year or before, so they are worn, but not yet worn out and they fit fine still.

@minh Until their feet stop growing, I'll only do one pair of gym shoe/tennis shoe per kid. Their feet grow so fast that it doesn't make financial sense. We do one pair of tennis shoes, a pair of boots for the winter, and some sort of croc style sandal. That's it. But both of my children have flat feet and need supportive shoes otherwise they end up in pain.

@minh I always bought my son 2 pairs of sneakers. They last longer when switched out. Plus, if a pair got destroyed i wasn't scrambling to replace them immediately

@minh 2 pairs of shoes (daily wear and something specific for sports, etc.) and one Crocs. Look on FB marketplace for used shows as most parents will have for sale good quality used shoes that are worn few times.

@minh We did 2 pairs of shoes. 1 was a sneakers and the other was a pair of sandels. We lived in Texas so wearing closed toed shoes all the time with socks sucks

@minh My 3 elem aged boys each have 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of rainboots, and 1 or 2 pairs of crocs/slides (used daily in the summer and weekly during the school year when going to swim lessons and martial arts classes). We don’t know any fancy dress-up shoes, because we never have an occasion to use them.

@minh Daughter has brown boots, black boots, gold shiny boots, two close toed gym type shoes, one pair of “dressier” brown Mary Jane’s, a pair of crocs, and a pair of slippers.

@minh My kid is 12 and has always had one pair of sneakers/school shoes and a pair of crocs. This year we added a pair of dress shoes for band. That said, if he wanted a second pair of sneakers I would probably get him one as long as it was in my budget to do so.

@minh My daughter is also 9

1 pair nice shoes for school uniform
1 nicer sneakers for gym class & we keep the older beat-up sneakers for outside play
1 trail shoe/boot for Cub Scouts, camping, hiking, woods.

No, I would not buy a second pair of sneakers for a kid that age just because. You see how expensive decent sneakers are! And this time next year they'll probably have outgrown it.

@minh Mother of two sons. Mine had one pair to wear to school. Bought new when they wore out. They could ask for a pair for Christmas or birthday or they could spend allowance/gift money to buy a new pair.

@minh My oldest is ten, and she has two pairs of boots (snow boots and casual wear), two pairs of nice sneakers for school, and a pair of crappy worn out tennis shoes for playing in.

@minh My rough and tumble kids have 2 pairs of sneakers at any given time. 1 pair as indoor shoes for school, 1 for outdoor. Then they get winter boots as well. Cuz Canada.

The most worn pair gets replaced every 6-8 months, and the new pair becomes the indoor shoe at school.

@minh My sons are 8 and 10. They have 2 pairs: school ones (uniforms) and "regular" ones (sneakers/sandals/boots - depending on the time of the year). No point in buying more, they would grow out of them before putting them on.

@minh Our family is not super shoe conscious lol. We usually all have a pair for work/play, 1 pair sandles, 1 pair dress shoes and 1 snow/rain pair. And a couple of shared, cheap, fake crocs to toss on for walking the dog or taking out the trash.

Back