How do you approach the stupidity that is Daylights Savings Time?

@robaya Toddler conveniently skipped her nap yesterday, so she went to bed earlier 7pm. Hoping she wakes up a bit earlier today, so we can get on track.

@robaya I think it just depends on your schedule. My kids (now 3 and 4.5) have always gotten up early - like between 5-6) so usually when we “spring” forward”, we try to adjust everything an hour later, then they sleep 6-7am.

It does suck for bedtime because now they are both in bed about 7:15-7:30 and we don’t like to lose the hour of child free time. However, when it’s lighter out, we like feeling like we have to rush home.

@robaya There is no luck in trying to make them go to bed earlier without waking them up earlier. We wake up earlier in 15 min increments, including adjusting naps.

@robaya just adapt the new time. we regularly push nap time to fit with weekend excursions and it seems to work well for us so I’m just going to pretend like the new time has always been that way and it’ll sort itself out eventually

@robaya The sun being up longer was our Achilles heel last year, but last year we simply adjusted our daughter's (2 at the time, now turning 3 in april) bedtime from 7pm to 8pm

However, we made sure to stick to the routine; we go to her room about 7:45, read 2 books, sometimes 3, we share tickles and other games my wife and I do with her for fun, and tuck her in by no later than 8:15. So assuming kiddos don't really know "what time it is", just stick to your routine! It may feel like it isn't working but it'll pan out as it may. Good luck!

@robaya Daughter's room has a west-facing window so here in Sydney in the middle of summer the sun doesn't set until 8:30pm sometimes. I gave up getting her to sleep by 7 with the hot sun streaming thru and just put her to bed later and enjoy a sleep in during DLS.

@robaya I literally just do the same thing but I only have 1 child & he’s an incredible sleeper. We are also a 9-9 family due to flexible work hours. Who knows what would happen if we have another who’s a crappy sleeper or our work sitch changes.

Update:

She usually has a short bridge nap at 10:30 for 20 minutes, then her real nap at 1:00. We skipped her bridge nap and kept her long nap at 1:00. Stretched bedtime by about just 15 minutes and everything was totally fine.

And now today she seems completely adjusted.

Back