How do y’all do it??

@stephenk So, one thing I wish people would have clarified when talking about trimesters is that not everyone feels better as soon as they reach 2nd trimester. I know for me, it took until about week 16-17 for me to feel any better than I did first trimester. Also, I think for me, I saw working out more as a way to feel better mentally and physically than anything else. That meant not working out if I didn't feel well, or toning it down, or telling myself "give this a shot and if I don't feel better within 10 minutes of starting, don't do it." For me, working out in the morning has been helpful, but you might want to experiment with different times of day that you feel best.

@stephenk Right there with you.
I also just found out I’m pretty anemic. This happens to me every pregnancy (so I should know better) but also, the supplements have never seemed to help much. Still, might be worth checking next time you go in for bloods.

@stephenk Currently week 14: I'm certainly not a perfect example of someone who consistently exercises but I've tricked myself into believing that exercise gives me control over labor/delivery. If working out consistently will shorten labor (I read somewhere that those who stay fit deliver like 35 minutes faster??) then you bet I'm going to try to get at least 5k steps in a day. If prenatal yoga is going to help me strengthen my pelvic floor (I'm not even sure what that means) so that I can better control my pee stream after labor, I'll be there. I'm not sure that any of this is real or not but it's the only way I get myself into sneakers. I also think I've made it a little easier on myself by buying maternity leggings starting week 7 and only wearing those so at least I don't have to change my pants to make it to a 'workout'.

@stephenk I started sloooowly around 16 weeks, and only at 22 weeks can I now work out about 5 days a week again. And my workouts are nowhere close to what I did before pregnancy. I’m just wrapping my head around the new normal (or at least trying to).

@stephenk Maybe this is a time you just need to be a bit kinder to yourself and accept you don’t have the energy for work AND training. The baby is taking it.

I cut down training a lot. I used to train twice a day most days, plus some muck around sessions (I’m a coach so in the gym a lot), now I train once a day, and the intensity is waaaaay down. I’m def just moving for mental health, and, that’s ok.

I also have w very flexible life & job so have the opportunity to nap and take things at the pace I want, so the “stress” is a lot less than working always.

I think if you can adapt to the phase you’re in, like others have said, it’s only temporary ☺️

i do want to add tho that working out feels WAYYY more difficult now then it did 20 weeks ago, and i think that if i could go back in time and even do a little bit each day, i would. because not only did my body lose track but also my body is DIFFERENT and everything feels harder and heavier and my joints are weird and my endurance is crap.

@stephenk I'm 38 years old. I've been walking 4-5 miles 6 days a week and using resistance bands and yoga 5 days a week since the day I found out I was pregnant at 3w2d. They diagnosed me with chronic hypertension at 3w4d, so that's been my biggest motivator, honestly, since walking is great for it. But my key to success is waking up and getting out the door by 7am. (I feel like the earlier I go, the better I do). I also do a TON of self talk...It's cold? Too bad, go anyway. I'm SO tired! Too bad, go anyway. My back, hips, and legs hurt. Too bad, go anyway. Things like that work really well for me.🤷‍♀️

@stephenk Remember two things;
1. Every week/month is going to be different and prenatal training often lacks consistency because energy levels/wellness changes frequently . I was very active in first trimester then spent week 13, 17-20 on bed rest 😡. At 21 weeks I got some energy back I am back 2 working out
2. Half a workout still counts as a workout. If I'm tired, I split my leg day into hamstring/glutes day 1 and calf/quads day 2. If I want to put in 5 miles on the weekend. I often would run 3.5 and then walk 1.5 later in the day. I should also add that I ONLY DO CARDIO ON THE WEEKENDS
Similar to you , I am not experiencing that crazy surge of energy everyone told me about. I literally need 9-10hrs of sleep to survive so on my workdays I limit my workout to 30-40minutes and definitely dropped the intensity. Right now my schedule looks like this:
6am wakeup
7:30-4 work
4:45-5:25workout
5:30 shower
6:20 dinner
8:30 bedtime.

@stephenk I have had this exact experience of pregnancy (I'm 27 weeks and maybe had a good 5 weeks during the second trimester I felt somewhat normal). Otherwise, I've needed 9-10 hours of sleep per night in order to feel like I'm halfway human the next day, but still dragging ass all. day.

For me, it just hasn't been realistic to exercise like I was prepregnancy. Like another comment said already, all you really need is to make a consistent habit of getting a 30 minute walk to get enough activity. So that's what I've been doing. I think I've been to the gym or taken a run maybe twice each since being pregnant. And that's okay!

Regarding feeling you're never going to have time or energy to run again -- try to remind yourself that this is a temporary season of life. I know that this is easier said than done when you're locked into the experience of pregnancy...40 weeks flies by normally (just look how fast 2023 went!) but when you're looking forward to the end of pregnancy & there's no escape or break from the fatigue it can really feel like forever. But this season will pass, just like the season of baby not sleeping through the night will pass, as all seasons do. Hang in there:)

@stephenk it is hard - not gonna lie. What is harder is seeing the performance drop as well, especially that it took me such a long time to recover after my first delivery. But honestly - anything is more than no workouts at all - which is what I keep reminding me off.

I have recently heard an interesting fact :Maternal blood volume increases by 45% to approximately 1 200 to 1 600 ml above non-pregnant values. That means our hearts needs to work harder, and we need more oxigen as well, plus we have a baby to carry and our lung capacity is also compromised on top of it all. It is more than amazing that despite all these insane changes we are still committed to our goals.

Hand on heart, as a mum and someone who is going through this the second time round, my honest advice is, do it for your mental health, when possible and when you can. We will have the rest of our lives to chase those body/workout/personal best goals, but we only carry out little ones a handful of times max.

It is a precious time and doesn't last all that long!

As for the time after delivery - give yourself time to recover. The official advice is not to do anything before 6 weeks after, but with more complex deliveries they often recommend 12 weeks if not longer. It took me 12 months to gather my mental, emotional and physical strength to go back to my workout regime and 24 months before I felt like I was going back to my previous self. It takes time. But there is no rush. Consistency is key.

You will find your routine, as a mum, as a household, as a partner, to see what is the best time for you to workout. I had to compromise, and give up my gym and private PT lessons, but I made a swap to Peloton (this is not an ad) and never looked back. It gives me enormous flexibility to workout when I can where I can (I often do workouts on my phone too)

Honestly I couldn't be without it.

All in all though - try not to stress too much over it. Things will settle down, you will start feeling a bit better after week 20ish (2nd trimester) and once the baby is here, find what works for you that you can stick with and it will work itself out!

Best of luck!

@stephenk I am 6 months pp and honestly, this whole thread has been so healing for me. I was an exhausted wreck in my second pregnancy. I have not gotten back into working out yet, but as I've begun to be more observant and blaming myself less, I can see that I am much more willing to do physically demanding things with my kids even though I'm not working out. I think that strength counts for something. I'm also, maybe, just barely beginning to actually believe that it's okay to be in a stage where I prioritize gentle strength training and stretching.

I've never done a marathon, but I've done half marathons and other intense trail running things. I can't believe that this is where I am, but I can't help my body's physical limitations. I, too, expected that I would be one of those pregnant and early postpartum people to maintain my athleticism. Genetics and hormones have demonstrated to me that I am not that person.

In general and not specific to exercise, I would say my first child advanced confidence as a personality trait in me. This second child has encouraged gentleness to grow in me.

@stephenk I have to do it first thing in the morning or I never will. My doctor approved adderall for me and that has kept me from being too exhausted, honestly

@stephenk Also 16 weeks, but i already have a kid so my illusion of me-time now and after birth is distant. Basically i am embracing "something is better than nothing" mindset. I do very much miss my strength and my sport. It is going to take time to heal, and it won't always be linear, which is very frustrating. So your feelings are totally valid here!

Some days my movement is hardly a "workout", like just some pt or mobility exercises. But it was something. If you can get in some stretching or 10 mins of stuff on a mat, maybe it will help you feel a bit better?

@stephenk Making a baby is metabolically similar to endurance sports, except you’re doing it for 9 months straight. You’re making a whole human . I tell myself each trimester is a marathon and the birth is an ironman race 😂. You will feel tired, that is normal. But it’s temporary and you will have that energy back- it may take a while (it was about 8 months after giving birth for me). In the meantime while pregnant (pregnancy #2) I just exercise when I can, for 30 minutes, with lots of modifications and take it easy.

@stephenk I was working out all throughout my pregnancy but honestly hadn’t really started my program until I was 5weeks pregnant. I had just started with a personal trainer so that cost was definitely a driver. It was hard but my only irritating symptoms were mild acid reflux/nausea and fatigue. I went to bed early and napped on lunch. Work took a hit for sure. In hindsight maybe I shouldn’t have worked out 4x a week since I was so tired but so this little guy is doing ok as far as we know (26w5d).

@stephenk I certainly wasn’t training for a marathon, but i too was eating right, just bought a peloton, and was strength training pretty much 4-5 times a week! Pregnancy hit and i wanted to nothing (still don’t want to do anything). I’m 22 weeks now and have only recently got the energy to start doing small things again. I take my dogs for a walk for about an hour total a day, then try to throw in some sort of light strength training 3x a week and prenatal yoga as often as i can. It’s so crushing not being able to do what you know you’re capable of!! I keep trying to remind myself to take it easy because i am literally growing a whole other human! That takes a lot out of a person I’m sure. I’m confident once i have baby I will be able to at least work up to where I was and that it’s not gone forever. Take it easy on yourself mama, you are not alone!

@stephenk
  1. Lower your expectations and be kind to yourself. Acknowledge that what your body is doing is amazing (growing a baby!!).
  2. Don’t compare yourself to others. Every pregnancy is different.
  3. Try to workout first thing in the morning. I know it’s hard. Like you, there were days where waking up in time for work was a struggle.
  4. Some weeks you’ll be feeling average, some others you will be feeling good. Take advantage of every week you feel good and try squeeze in something small/light. Any exercise is good and it could be as simple as a 10-15 minute workout.

Back