How do I tell my antivax parents I’m getting the vaccine?

@alessandra It wouldn't make sense at all to get shots in April for a school you're not starting in until when... August? Lots could change between then and now in regards to what products fit the current situation and what is still required when classes start. A shot you get now may be obsolete by July and you'd have to go through the series all over again in a matter of a few months. For me it would make more sense to live your life, get out of your head, and worry about this a little closer to the deadline rather than tangling up over it well in advance for what could ultimately be no reason at all.

Granted if you are taking classes in the summer then yes you would need to figure all that out now. But the way I see it, the biggest problem is you feeling like you need to tell your parents anything at all when you are 18. That would be something to work through with a counselor. You would definitely not be the first young person they've guided in this position.

@alessandra Have you done lots of research prior to this decision. Is there other schools that don't require it? How do you feel after doing all the vaccine research? Look at science resources to make your decisions. At 18 years old what you decide is your right. But, if I were you, I would not volunteer info, and not lie if they ask. Try not to allow emissions to express if this conversation comes up. Say it like it is. No judgements or name calling. Stay true to your intuition. Blessons to you

@alessandra Deja Vu! I swear I saw this exact post with this exact wording and phrasing, a few weeks ago-ish... albeit in a different subreddit.

That said, personally, I would either tell them and let them take the news however they will (can't change some people). Could be entertaining to watch their reaction(s).

Plus, think about it... Apart from some shouting, maybe, perhaps a meltdown or two, what consequences would you face from them? Like, what are they really gonna do? What can they even do, within reason?

Or just not tell em at all, I've seen that option being mentioned.

You got this :)

@alessandra Just don’t get it. It doesn’t prevent you from getting Covid anyway. If you can fill out religious exemption then do it.

My mom got the vaccine and got Covid anyway.
She had exact same symptoms as me.

There’s no point to get it right now if you don’t have to.

The vaccine clots your blood at a microscopic level.

I am not anti vaxx but it’s too soon to get and not know the side effects.

Listen to your parents and wait.

@alessandra I understand the feeling where if you don't share something with your parents, it's lying. My parents were like that too when I lived home. But, legally, you are an adult and your medical choices are your own. Your own doctors wouldn't contact your parents about your wellbeing anymore either, especially so in college once you start.

Take this as the first test of that. You're an adult who is doing something medical for their own benefit.

@alessandra Honestly, you don’t have to tell them at all. You are legal now, and do not have to share your medical info with your parents, and if you think it will cause arguments and conflict, it probably isn’t worth it to tell them. You can sign up to get a vaccine at a local vaccine center, pharmacy, or any place that offers them, really. I would recommend getting the vaccine sooner rather than later. The sooner you get it, the sooner you’ll be inoculated.

Congrats on turning 18! And also, I’m happy that you are making a responsible decision on your own just days into adulthood. I was not very independent at 18. I still asked my parents for a lot of help with things (asking for help from people is okay, but I still needed A LOT at 18), my Mom set up my doctor’s appointments until I graduated college, I still asked my parent’s permission to go out with friends until around age 20, etc. So good for you for taking the initiative to get the vaccine.