How did you prep your toddler for your C-section?

seweryn

Who did you have watch them? How long? Did you practice before. How were they when you got home? Any tips for making it easier on them?

@seweryn Well I can't speak to how well it's going to work because my c-section is scheduled for next week, but we've been talking a lot about Mom going to the hospital for a few days to have the baby. Our plan is to have my parents help during the day, but my husband will be staying overnight at home with our toddler. We haven't quite figured out the schedule yet but my plan is that they will come visit in the morning and at some point my parents will come up to the hospital to visit and take the toddler for the rest of the day and then my husband will go back at dinner and bedtime to keep his routine the same. I might have my mom stay overnight with me in the hospital or I might just handle it with the nurses help, it depends how I'm healing and whether or not baby has NICU time.

When we get home my plan for the first few days is to stay in bed to hopefully reduce the chances that my toddler jumps on my tummy. We've been working really hard on gentle hugs and gentle with my tummy. I figure if we're in the bed at least he has room to cuddle and roll around and be a little silly without having to worry about hurting my incision too much. I haven't been able to pick him up in a little while so that won't be different, and we've been working on my husband doing bedtime routine because I won't be able to go upstairs and help with that for a while.

@seweryn Well we let the doctor do the c-section instead of our toddler. And my mother watched her during the operation. Afterwards she came to the hospital with my mom and finally I went home with her so she could sleep in her own bed whilst my wife stayed in the hospital. Beforehand we explained everything regarding the new situation with the baby and whatnot thoroughly. We also off course explained that mom was on bed rest and why (because of the birth) but we didn’t explain the procedure or anything as far as I can remember. But it has been 5 years tho. All in all it went pretty smooth.