How did you choose a baby carrier/wrap?

juragankacang

Due June 9 and planning to spend most of May being as “zen” as possible and letting my body guide me. One thing my husband and I haven’t done yet, but need to do, is pick out baby carriers/wraps for baby wearing at home and on-the-go. We are overwhelmed with the name brands, styles, price ranges, and options.

We are both tall, I’m 6’0 and he is 6’4. We are also both athletically husky with broad shoulders, if that makes a difference. I also have back issues, so I’d love something with decent support for both mama and baby. We’ve been to BuyBuy Baby and tried a few on, but even still are overwhelmed by the choices. This is an item we are both hesitant to order online before being able to try it on or see it in store before buying.

How did you choose a carrier? What are some of your favorites and why? Any carriers to avoid?

TIA!

@juragankacang We put a cheap infantino on our registry and I got a Ktan secondhand for cheap, so I didn't put a lot of thought into choosing at first. Once I fell in love with baby wearing, then I read a lot, borrowed from friends, and then bought a bunch of carriers secondhand to try out.

My recommendation would be to buy a basic stretchy wrap (Moby, Boba, Solly are all fine, I like buying used to help me narrow the options haha) and a basic structured carrier (ergo, Tula, lillebaby, or happy baby). You really can't go "wrong" with any of these, you'll get a feel for what you like or don't and then can go from there.

If you don't end up liking the SSC, maybe you go woven wrap next. If you don't like the stretchy, maybe you explore a ring sling or meh dai. There's a lot of options, but it's hard to know until you've worn your baby and figured out what you like and don't like.

My favorites have been the Ktan, ring sling, and standard Tula baby carrier. I also enjoyed a woven wrap, although I'm still a beginner.

@juragankacang Id break it down into categories to make things more digestible
Type, price, aesthetic are the ones I sort through.
For newborn days I absolutely loved Solly Baby- my husband used it too. I loved how thin it was especially for those summertime hot days
Consider what type of activities you’d want to be doing with them in. To start we only had the solly baby wrap and a soft structured carrier (happy baby OG) as she got older and I started realizing what I was using baby wearing for and her weight etc I started purchasing more- adventured to ring slings them mei dais and now onbuhimos.

I always suggest starting with a soft wrap just bc it would for sure fit your newborn vs some carriers you cant get a safe newborn fit out of!
I’d avoid baby bjorn as its notorious for not fitting in the proper deep M seat.

Congratulations!

@juragankacang I was gift wraps, ring sling, meh dai and SSC. I still bought a stretchy wrap so I could put him in and out as a newborn. (I didn’t know “poppable” wraps were an option with the woven wraps.). I’m having a baby wearing consult this week to get some advice and try on a few more carriers (upcoming holiday, I’m wondering if I get something more structured or if I just master the woven).

Soooo I still haven’t chosen and my baby is nearly 4 months 😂😂. I loved the ring sling earlier on, but feel like he’s getting a bit heavy for it now (and he’s too small to put on my him). Woven wraps were intimidating at first but I’m getting the hang of them now, and love how they look and all the options with them. He hates the meh Dai and I think the SSCs I have might be for toddler sizes. Another reason I’m looking at a more structured carrier like a Tula lite or boba x is so my husband can use it on holidays too.

What are your plans with the carrier (eg around the house, hiking, shopping)? Will you both be using it? Are you both interested in learning how to use a woven wrap or do you need something quick and easy to put on? The consultant I’m seeing recommends a consult during pregnancy, rather than after, but personally I feel like it’ll be more beneficial to me now than when I was pregnant (especially to troubleshoot why he hates the Meh Dai - If it’s my technique, or if it’s just his preference).

Is there a lending library you could join? Or baby wearing group?

Sorry I wasn’t much help! Just wanted to share my experience, if I had chosen one while pregnant (compared to being gifted) I probably would’ve felt like I had to stick with it even if it wasn’t right for me.

@juragankacang We ended up with a bunch of hand-me-down carriers, and I also knew I liked the idea of wraps so I bought a stretchy wrap. My husband liked the idea of SSCs and bought a cheap used Infantino.

Then after we actually had the baby we figured out what worked. I really liked wrapping and wasn't a big fan of other carrier types so I bought some woven wraps to be able to keep wrapping for the long haul, and also a meh dai in order to try a different style. My husband only ever really felt comfortable with the ancient baby Bjorn that gave our baby blisters :( so he basically stopped babywearing.

I would recommend thinking about a few things:

First, is there a babywearing group near you that could help you sort through the options and maybe try some that buy buy baby doesn't carry?

Are you looking for one carrier to do it all, newborn to toddler, all kinds of situations? There are a few that will truly work for this but not most.

What's your budget? Can you afford multiple high-end carriers or do you need to bargain hunt?

You already note that your bodies are both a little outside of the average, both in terms of size/shape and existing pain issues. Woven wraps and meh dais are really adaptable for all body types but there could be other carriers that are good fits for you (maybe ask others with similar body types and pain issues).

What suits your preferences and personalities? You'll be happier to wear a carrier that you think looks good on you. You may be willing to learn wrapping or maybe you just really prefer buckles.

But even if you find the perfect carrier after thinking about all of that, your baby will come along and may have their own opinion, which may change over time - so be ready to adapt later.

@juragankacang I started with what I was given by friends who were done having babies, so I got a stretchy wrap and an ergobaby with infant insert. I loved babywearing! The stretchy wrap was perfect for the newborn phase and the ergobaby was really a great, practical carrier. When my baby got a bit bigger I explored back carrying and wanted another carrier. I love fabrics and colors so got a woven wrap in a good size for back carrying, then one in a good size for front carrying, then an onbuhimo, then an SSC made out of wrap material, and most recently a ring sling. So I ended up getting pretty into it! But honestly? The stretchy wrap and a basic SSC covered like 90% of my babywearing needs for the first year. I'd recommend that you pick out an SSC that appeals to you for whatever reason - looks or practicality or price. Used is great for basic carriers (ergobabys). The popular brands are all pretty similar. Would not recommend the Infantino, get something nicer. If I were in the market for an SSC, personally I'd get a Tula.

@juragankacang My husband and I are also both tall with more athletic builds.

The soft stretchy wraps are really popular for newborn stage. There is a learning curve but after practicing a couple times, it’s not bad. For a summer baby, I would recommend the solly wrap. The fabric was a lot thinner than the moby. Highly recommend picking one up from Facebook marketplace/good buy gear/etc.

For soft structured carriers, I initially got the lillebaby but it was really bulky for me. Swapped to a happy baby carrier and we loved it.

My kid is a beast, upper 90 percentile. So I found front carrying to be pretty uncomfortable for long periods of time after about 6 months. I never got good at doing the back carry with the happy baby.

However, my husband and kiddo absolutely LOVE our hiking backpack carrier. My husband is a sweaty MOFO and the frame keeping the kid off his back is essential. We have the osprey poco and I think the waist belt makes a big difference for comfort.

@juragankacang See for me I would focus on type of wrap you’ll need for each “stage” of baby’s life. First 4 or so months for us we only used the Solly baby stretchy wrap. I had an ergo baby I was gifted from my registry at that time too but even around 2 months, my baby wasn’t comfortable in it. We stuck with the Solly then went to a Sakura Bloom Linen Scout as a Segway to still have that cozy cuddled feeling but also soft and supportive. We used that thing religiously until baby was closer to 30 ish lbs at around 9 months and I needed the lumbar support of our ergo baby. So we have used 3 wraps all at different stages of baby’s life.

I am now pregnant with #2 and intend to use the same wraps the same way but I also purchased a ring sling from Sakura Bloom that I’m hoping to use with the newborn once she’s here. I here they’re good and easy for quick on/off or in/out of being worn.

Happy baby carriers are similar in price to tthe Sakura Bloom Scouts, but you can find good priced ones on the Sakura Bloom BST (buy sell trade) Facebook page.

If you want to look at ring slings, lots and lots of brands make them but wild bird is popular and seem easy to use.

@juragankacang I prefer the wraps that you literally tie on to your body. You can use them many different ways when you learn the ties and watch some YouTube videos. The ones you buy like ergo etc. idk I just didn’t like all the straps and clipping some hurt my back- the baby born one. The other one I’m thinking of was wayyy to stretchy. So- the wraps (I bought from wrap your baby .com) Dianna is amazing and answers questions, helps with sizing, has videos and how tos. Cause the cloth wraps aren’t cheap but wow what a difference!! I ended up getting three. There’s a place called nurturing expressions in Seattle and Poulsbo- they also had baby wearing classes and wraps you could try on. If your planning on breastfeeding there are ways to wrap to breast feed while wearing.

In conclusion, I like the versatility of the wraps and that you literally feel and tighten the fabric. It feels most natural and it felt best with my body and baby. Additional they are beautiful. A little practice and I could do it in the parking lot at the grocery store easy peasy! Best of luck!

@juragankacang Regardless of carrier style make sure you get one where baby’s legs and bottom are fully supported knee to knee. There are some carriers out there with a narrow base (like this baby bjorn: https://www.babybjorn.com/products/baby-carriers/baby-carrier-mini/) that are not supportive. You never want baby’s legs hanging straight down or their whole weight resting on their crotch. Newborn hips are very fragile and there’s a risk of hip dysplasia if they’re improperly carried in a position that isn’t ergonomic.

There are tons of brands that are ergonomic for baby, my favorite is Tula. Their ‘free to grow’ carrier can be used from birth and is very adjustable for wearers of all sizes. I also used a stretchy wrap (a k’tan actually) for early newborn days as it’s snugglier than a more structured carrier.

ETA: here’s a link on proper hip positioning in a carrier: https://hipdysplasia.org/baby-wearing/

@juragankacang Baby Bjorn One. £20. Vinted. £150ish off retail price after spending £120 on two Baby Bjorn minis that I have to say where excellent to just outgrew them. Pretty good quality for being second hand, Id recommend looking on some preloved sites for good baby carrier deals, weve passed the minis down to family and are now onto our second use of them, machine washable is a big help

@juragankacang Did a lot of research - read a lot of amazon reviews - watched a lot of TikTok videos lol. My husband and I are both 6’ and I’m very broad. We both also have bad backs with is a concern when so many amazon reviews saying they all hurt your backs. Skipped a slog/soft carrier because of this. We preordered the WildBird Aerial Carrier - it’s supposedly a dupe for the Artipoppe carrier and very comfortable/decent for backs due to padding. It comes in May. My backup was the Ergobaby Embrace before finding the WildBird - which I ended up getting anyways because I needed my hands back before it would come lol. Because it had to go over the sides of your shoulders it’s REAL annoying with broad shoulders - do not recommend. TBD if the WildBird works for us but highly optimistic!