How are you dressing warmly when wearing baby in an ssc?

randyt68

I can’t figure out how to get dressed! I think I know how to keep Bub warm, but I keep changing my mind about me. Usual layers? less layers? carrier over puffer jacket or puffer jacket over carrier?

Full disclosure- I’m from an Australian city. ‘Cold’ means 9-15 deg Celsius (48-59 F) during the day plus wind. I think it’s cold, but I’m not prepping for an arctic excursion.

@randyt68 Fellow Aussie here. I usually take LO’s jumper off and put an oversized jumper on over the carrier if my arms are cold. I can do it up if it’s windy for LO. If I’m home and it’s cold I’ll wrap a blanket around LO and tuck it in to the straps if I feel they’re cold still but I don’t want to wear a jumper. Hope that helps :)

@randyt68 I’m in Wellington, so leaning slightly colder than Aus, but I go usual (indoor) layers for Bub and myself with a jacket on top and a wooly scarf I can pull around if it’s really cold

@randyt68 I have a babywearing softshell coat! It can be used for both front and back carry. And as a regular coat and maternity coat. Mamalila is the brand. I'm also considering getting the sweater.

In freezing winter I've just put baby on top of my coat in a ski suit.

@randyt68 I'm in Denmark, so your temperature is our fall and spring (plus a lot of rain and wind).

Normal layers as you would dress the baby inside. Something to pull over the feet and legs when going outside. Same goes for you, dress for inside when strapping on the baby, then layers over. You'll never know when your baby will fall asleep and you have to go inside. It's so annoying to either wake the baby because you have to take off the carrier to undress you and the baby or to be stuck outside because you don't want to wake up the baby to undress. 😜

You can take a zip hoodie for warmer weather a cover would be a great investment, too. There are also a lot of diy inspirations online how to easily make your own. A blanket and some pins or clothe pegs are also fine to put over the carrier. You're sharing body heat with the baby and regulate baby's temperature but baby's back and legs are still a bit colder so those need to be protected by n extra layer, that's why an extra blanket or cover. I've also had babylegs to pull over legs and feet. She looked like Jane fonda but it worked great 🤣

@randyt68 I would wear a slightly oversized zip up jacket that was easy to slip on and off (baby carrier underneath, jacket left open in the front), and something like this for baby. This specific product is from uniqlo, but if you search Amazon you might be able to find something similar.

I actually bought my baby carrier blanket/cover off of Amazon Japan; shipping was a bit expensive but at the time I couldn’t find or purchase anything like it locally. This one is nice because it’s soft and fluffy on the inside and water resistant on the outside, and has pockets on the back for mama!

If you go inside and it’s warm, it’s easy to take off with the attachable snaps. I’m in southern california, and like you I would find 9-15 C cold. This blanket/cover was appropriate for around that temperature with mild winds, although I’m not sure how it would do in super high wind? I never used it in incredibly windy situations.

Good luck and congrats on the baby!

@randyt68 I have a bundlebean which is great. Its windproof, waterproof and has a nice little pocket for my hands. I just dress little one in leggings and a shirt as the carrier counts as a layer, my body heat is an extra layer and then with the bundlebean and a hat you should be good to go! Ive used it over the pram too.

@randyt68 Remember that you and baby will share body heat, so your chest will be toasty. Long sleeve shirt and open jacket for both of you should work. If the baby is big enough and likes to have arms out of the carrier put the jacket on over the carrier. Same with your jacket. That was what I used to do when I'd have a kid on me and we were walking to a shop. Then the jackets can go in a cart and you don't boil while you shop.

ETA: an extra pair of pants on baby, larger size than usual, will keep the ankles warm. Or tall socks or leg warmers.

Back