How/are you changing what your <5 y.o. does in light of Omicron and the Pfizer vaccine trial issues?

edwina958

We have a 3.5 year old. Husband and I are vaccinated and boosted - although I got the J&J which I just read is really ineffective against Omicron. We've been pretty damn cautious since March 2020. Kiddo just started preschool in September, and we just started letting her go to dance classes once a week.

Given Pfizer pushing back their trials for 2-5 year olds, and given the uncertainty/seeming borderline panic about Omicron.... I'm curious if anyone is changing their behaviors / precautions / what you "allow" your kids to do.

I just want to cry.

@edwina958 We’ve been pretty cautious this whole time. My kids started daycare again in May, when I thought things would take a turn for the best with the vaccines (oh how naive I was). The kids are thriving at daycare and love the socialization. We let my 2 year old go on quick trips with one of to places like Home Depot but he wears a mask. And we’ll take him to the library or local kids museum with a mask. My daughter, who just turned 1, has never been into the library or sat in a shopping cart.

However, if it’s going to be a matter of “when” and not “if” they get Covid with Omicron, why should I bother depriving them of all this anymore. So honestly, I think I’m about ready to say f-it and start moving on with our lives. We will avoid large indoor gatherings and we won’t go eat at a restaurant until outdoor dining reopens. But I will not derive them of seeing family and friends or taking them to enriching activities anymore.

@jd34 Yeah, I’m feeling unfortunately like it’s become a when with how contagious omicron Is and how their age group is with it. It’s depressing. And Im an essential worker, vaccinated and boosted all pfizer. I wish I could protect my kids

@sandyoriane That's kind of how I'm feeling now - it's not if, but when. Especially given how 95% of the preschool class doesn't mask up. It's so depressing how long this has dragged on. And how our kids think nose swabs, mask wearing etc is all normal.

I'm a pediatric nurse. I am so over this. As I know we all are.

@edwina958 I fully understand that my kid will get it someday, but I’m going to keep partying like it’s April 2020 until he’s vaccinated. My sister is an nurse in the Covid unit and my mom died from covid. I’m far too familiar with the details of what Covid can look like in an unvaccinated body to let go yet.

Then there’s the “little” things that Covid can take, like taste and smell. My 3yo is picky enough about eating….indefinitely don’t need anything making it harder to get him motivated to eat. One of my best friends had Covid and they can still barely taste anything over a year later.

The next doses will be here soon enough; I can wait.

That’s me. A year later, and still have a lot of trouble with taste and smell. We’ve made huge sacrifices to protect my son but this news shifted our plans. We’ll go to outdoors shopping after winter (farmer’s markets, garden centers) and possibly restaurants that require proof of vaccination. My son is turning one in Feb and I can’t wait it out until June. I’ll be careful but I can’t eliminate all risks forever.

@estilow Yes, but not enough. In general it’s thought to potentially be milder in severity (but only probably), but way, way more contagious.

In children we haven’t heard much yet, bur that data is being collected. That indicates to me it’s acting as we’d expect it to in children based on precedence in prior variants

@suz85 But we also have loss of effectiveness of some therapeutics. Regeneron is useless against Omni, and it is one of the few things approved and available down to age 2.

@jd34 So my middle child was barely a year old at the start of lockdown. She couldn’t remember what it was like to be in a cart or go to the store. She didn’t go anywhere like that for a year!
Finally around Easter 2021 I took her into a store masked up, so she was 2.5 she couldn’t believe all the food!
She was in absolute awe of all the produce and it was the most exciting thing in the world to her. It’s sad but it was really amusing at the same time.

@edwina958 I hear you. We have a 5 year old (in kindergarten), a 2 year old, and a 3 month old. Husband and I are both double-vaxxed and will be boosted when it comes our turn (not yet where we’re at).

Given that we decided that homeschooling was not the best option for our eldest, we had to accept some degree of risk in her riding the schoolbus and attending kindergarten. Thankfully, she can now get vaccinated in our area.

We focus on mitigating risk rather than eliminating it, and we try to balance risks & benefits in multiple domains - particularly our children’s development, and all of our emotional and mental health. The data is very very clear that parental mental health has a substantial impact on children’s development (if you want sources let me know - I do children’s mental health as a day job when I’m not on parental leave so I could gather a list)- so I often ask what will keep us all sane and healthy. We also change our behavior based on current case rates in our area and changes in our situation.

Examples: our 5year old will likely do outdoor soccer in the spring but we’re not frequenting indoor swimming pools/gymnastics right now. We swam all summer at an outdoor pool, but we totally closed down our social get-togethers three weeks before my due date so I didn’t go into labor with COVID. We had few visitors and very clear boundaries for the first eight weeks of baby’s life this fall during our delta wave. We enrolled our eldest in French immersion kindergarten which has smaller class sizes (we’re so lucky!! Eleven kids). Bonus: she loves French. Risk: it’s in a neighboring town so she has a longer bus ride. We keep our social circle small, and with like-minded people (quality rather than quantity) and as much time as we can with them. We’re still gathering with family for Christmas - this is our biggest risk “splurge” of the year as my family is pretty large so it’ll involve 18 people total, some of whom are not vaccinated - and I sent out a message to everybody in an effort to get some buy-in on precautions we can all take to stay healthy “so we can enjoy our time together.” This last one is tough, but we were previously a close-knit family who have a great diversity of perspectives on covid (to put it charitably). We live 8 hrs drive from them so day/outdoor visits aren’t an option and after two years of watching from a distance as more than half my family drowned in (or dove into, for some of them) the conspiracy rabbit-hole, we strongly believe that we need to get face to face with them to rebuild trust. We’ve been involved in two unvaccinated family members choosing to get their shots - primarily through face to face conversations - and I have hope that we can be a helpful voice and stop the vaccine-hesitant echo chamber if we are present with them this year.

We likely won’t fly anywhere until the omicron wave has peaked, but we’re debating a trip to see my husbands family in May (a 2 hour flight). We’ll see what omicron does…??

Sorry for the rambling wall of text….

@elpasoautotransport You’re kind. I find our perspective makes some more risk averse folks very uncomfortable, and on the other hand it’s downright offensive to my unvaxxed family members… sigh.

This is not an easy time to be a parent, and at the end of the day each of us has to find our own balance, or live within our own “risk budget” depending on our family’s needs.

@crispyfry As an expectant parent I really appreciate you sharing your perspective on balancing mental health and physical safety. It’s validating because I knew I wouldn’t be able to go through this pregnancy as a total hermit and the same when baby comes. We will likely shrink our indoor social circle to immediate family a couple weeks before due date. I’m just glad I’m not alone in not attempting a 100% Covid-risk free life.

@arrenwatp I wish you the very best with your little one on the way!

You’re absolutely right that attempting a 100% covid-risk free life would have risks that are (for many of us) far worse than the risk of covid itself. I’m lucky than none of my kids have significant risk factors beyond the normal risks of being a brand new human. And I also think we can protect our mental health in a way that provides a decent degree of covid safety. I hope you find ways to stay connected to the most important people in your life, get some gentle movement/exercise, spend time outside in nature, have lots of skin to skin time with baby, and have a supportive partner on the journey.

Back