Help me work out regularly while pregnant

@mariamauva I’ve been trying to just move on days I don’t go to the gym - since getting pregnant I think I’ve been to the gym twice a week (22 weeks) but there are days when I just need to rest and quiet and can’t meet my move goals

@mariamauva I go to the gym with my husband 3 times a week and walk 3 miles every time I go. I also do barre classes 2-3 times a week for maintaining muscle, flexibility, and pelvic floor.

I’m 25 weeks - having my partner motivate me to go and walk is easy. Regarding barre, i just show up and do it (like Nike lol). It helps that I sleep 8 hours a night, drink coffee, and WFH.

@mariamauva I am not particularly proud of my situation in terms of how much exercising I am managing. I feel tired and unmotivated, working full time with 2 under 4, and my husband does shift work so unreliable schedule.

I am doing a pilates class every week if our schedule allows.

I am also trying to get exercise in at work a few days a week - so get there 10 min early and do whatever with a kettlebell that I stash in my desk (individual consulting room so private), maybe in between patients do a little walk or like 1 (lol) to 3 sets of some random exercise, and at lunch maybe go for a walk for 10 min. Also before cleaning the house (also not something I am particularly doing) have a dance party for a song's duration.

Much better than nothing which is what I feel like doing.

@mariamauva I go to orangetheory 3-4x a week. If I’m extra tired, I take it easy. If I feel good, I may push it a little. I am mostly there for the social aspect, but it gives me an appetite and helps me sleep

@mariamauva I just want to say this is really refreshing to read. So thank you for posting, OP, even though I’m sorry you are feeling it. I’m in my first tri and got HIT with a Mack truck of symptoms and I feel like complete ass. My good days consistent
Of a 30 min walk with some hills and gentle prenatal yoga. My bad days consist of me just getting through the day and spending most of it horizontal.

What I have tried to do, is do whatever it is I hope to get done that day right after I have breakfast and my half cup of coffee. That’s the only
Way I can guarantee it gets done. Anything after that is a wash.

@mariamauva I’m 15+4 and struggling the same. I did a 70.3 ironman the week before I got pregnant (along with 4 other triathlons this season). My first trimester was awful with HG and fatigue. While my nausea is doing better, my energy is still low. I used to train 2hrs a day and work 10hr+ days consistently during the work week. Now I can barely do a workout or any sort and 8hrs of work. My coach and I are focusing on finding joy in my workouts. Whatever it may be. We are also going to include more breath work and other things that will help my mental health/delivery. He constantly reminds me that what I’m doing is remarkable and it’s ok that I’m tired. I know logically it may not make sense to keep the coach, but he helps me feel more accountable for myself and has been a great support during my pregnancy for mental health. He also is letting me have a much cheaper plan during pregnancy, but I feel I’m getting the same support.

Today we had a call and he gave me the assignment to come up with 3 macro goals for this year and 6 associated micro goals for each macro goal. For instance, I’m due in June but would like to be racing a 70.3 Ironman again in December.

@mariamauva There are weeks I have the energy and desire to workout and on those weeks I try to really go for it. Then there are days that even my regular daily tasks tire me, and on those days, I skip any additional exercise. Try to set realistic goals that take into account that your mood/well-being and desire to workout will change throughout your pregnancy.

@mariamauva I’m the same as you & did a mix of movement: running and cycling 2x a week and weightlifting 3x a week. I’m currently 6wks pregnant and just now feeling like I didn’t get hit by a bus (we’ll see if it lasts lol).

I haven’t done ANY cardio since getting back to a normal 3-4 day routine and am focusing on 20-30min weightlifting sessions instead. It’s all I can handle. Plus walking and stretching as much as possible.

I say all of this because maybe it’s not the working out in general that is that problem but finding the right way to move for you THAT DAY. I’d zoom in on the scope to make it less overwhelming and try to find something that sounds nice to you that day, at whatever time you have the energy for. I’ve never been a fan of forcing movement but I know how much better I always feel after a session.

@mariamauva My husband asked me how he can help me and I told him to drag me to gym 😂. I have no motivation to do it myself so having someone to push you is great. I am week 17. So really beginning the feel the need of working out more and more.

Binged a lot of YouTube videos today and they all said you need to walk Atleast 30mins-1hr everyday in order to have healthy delivery. Most said, workout everyday even if it’s light. Do squats, butterfly and duck walks to build your body for delivery.

@mariamauva I made a goal of meeting 10,000 steps a day. I run, so I usually did some kind of run, but on the days I couldn't muster up the energy for a workout or run, I'd just do a loooot of walking and a lot of podcast listening!

@mariamauva First of all - no two weeks will be the same so if you skip a week or two no big deal!! (For reference, I was on bed rest weeks 16.5-20) . Second, my motivation came from lowering my standards and doing more workouts at home to cut commute time. I used to be the type to have to do an hour long workout/do all push or pull muscles in one day. Now it's like- ok if I just so glutes/hamstring in one day and quads/calfs another day it's cool. If I only run 2.5 miles it's all good. Baby workouts got a long way!!!

@mariamauva I didn't do much between 6-16 weeks or 20-27 weeks. Everyone says second tri is easier, but I sure didn't think so! For me third has actually been better.

I am a runner and avid yoga practitioner but stopped running around 20 weeks due to a low lying placenta and hip/groin pain. It was discouraging to me, and for awhile I didn't do much. Now I substitute cardio on the stationary bike, much easier yoga, and walking. At first I had to force myself to use stationary bike, as I find them so boring, but I do find thatI feel similar boost to mood and fitness if I use it-so I am now trying to maintain my base fitness using it. I figure it will be easier recovery and return to running later.

Back