Formula Scoop Weight Experiment

A properly formed scoop of formula is important for the nutrition of your baby and can help your formula stretch farther during the shortage. For this experiment, I used a jewelry scale as it was more accurate to the tenth of a gram than my kitchen scale and tape and a marker to create the line on the formula container. The marker did not touch the formula and the scale was clean and dry before it was used to measure the scoops. My baby uses member’s mark advantage formula so I googled and used information only from the Sam’s Club website. The website told me that for a two ounce bottle, which my baby eats, I need a scoop of formula that weighs 8.8 g. The website states that that scoop should be “unpacked level” I noticed on the container that it says that the contents may settle during shipment. I’m sure you’ve noticed that as you scoop into your formula and it sits on the counter it starts to compact. I’ve been wondering what the difference is I decided to see for myself, I’m not a formula expert or anything just a curious, formula feeding mom. Here’s how it went. First, I shook the formula container three times to loosen up any compaction of the contents. I then took a piece of tape and placed it on the container and marked the tape as close as I could to the level where the formula was sitting in the container. Then, I took the formula scoop and scooped a very loose scoop of formula and leveled it off with the corner scoop holder. I then placed the formula on the clean scale and it weighed exactly 8.0 grams. This is 0.8 grams less than the recommended amount for her two ounce bottle of formula. Secondly, I took the formula container and gave it three good taps on the counter to simulate compaction of the contents. I was surprised at how far the formula compacted down. I did not move the tape and the level was a good half an inch lower at least. I then took a scoop of the compacted formula, leveled it on the scoop holder, and weighed it on the zeroed out scale. This compacted scoop of formula weighed 9.6 grams. That’s a whole 1.6 grams more than the loose scoop and 0.8 grams more than the recommended serving for a two ounce bottle. This told me that the scoop recommendation is right in the middle of very loose and firmly compacted, which makes sense. So, I wondered if I could get the perfect scoop. I tried one more time. I shook the container three times again to loosen the formula. I then got a heaping scoop of that loose formula and firmly leveled it off on the scoop holder and weighed it. 8.8 grams exactly. I now know what the proper serving looks and feels like for my formula. This all being said, none of us are perfect and we aren’t going to get the “perfect” scoop every time and that’s okay. So, let’s look at the two extremes and make a six ounce bottle with the loose scoop and hard pack scoops and see the difference nutrition and amount wise. To make a six ounce bottle I’m going to need three scoops of formula. With three loosely packed scoops of formula, 8.0 x 3, you get 24 grams. That’s 2.4 grams less than the recommended amount. If your baby drinks five bottles a day they are getting 12 grams , 2.4 x 5, under the recommended amount of formula. That’s almost a three ounce bottle of nutrition that they aren’t receiving. Now, for the compacted scoop. With three compacted scoops of formula, 9.6 x 3, you get 28.8 grams. That’s 2.4 grams more than the recommended amount. If your baby drinks five bottles a day they are getting 12 grams, 2.4 x 5, more than the recommended amount of formula. That’s almost a three ounce bottle that could be saved every single day. Almost a days worth of bottles for a week. I just thought all of this was super interesting and wanted to share with you all. Hopefully this will all be over soon. 💗scale, measurements, and compaction

@eloquentspeaker14 This is why I weigh my formula and water. The markings on bottles are not accurate and the scoop method (as you’ve so wonderfully shown) is not accurate.

My son is a preemie and needs his formula mixed a bit stronger for higher calorie intake, the variation of scoop could totally mess with his growth if it’s less than what he needs.

@athanas When my son was discharged we were adding a teaspoon of Enfamil Enfacare to 90ml of my breast milk. Now that he is formula fed I add an additional teaspoon of powder per 90ml of formula.

@eloquentspeaker14 Good experiment! I’ve always been tempted to do this. Although, I just think of the variances like in breast milk. When I pumped, each session had different amounts of fat. In the morning I had high amounts of fat in my milk and in the evening much lower amounts of fat. I think it all averages out

@corbinw I feel the same. It shows how arbitrary the whole process can be because most babies thrive regardless. But for preemies and medical indications this is really important, and I love that someone weighed it out because I’ve thought about it a lot!

@eloquentspeaker14 The amounts are averaged, so in theory you'll be something close to the correct amount when you're using more than one scoop. We measured all of ours because of it being so random though. I think it usually ranged from about 7 grams to 10 games per scoop, which is a significant amount difference, right?

@eloquentspeaker14 This is exactly why everyone who uses formula should get a decent kitchen scale. Added bonus: you won't lose count when making a big pitcher of formula.

Another added bonus: being able to bake/cook without dirtying up a bunch of measuring spoons and cups

@jimp0459 When I realized I could tackle the day's formula by weighing all 130.5g of powder in a measuring cup then stirring it in the Dr Brown pitcher, my life instantly became like 70% easier than when I was mixing it one bottle at a time.

@christiangirl30 Yep! We would put in 20mL of water first (to prevent dry chunks getting stuck in the bottom), add powdered formula, then fill up the rest of the water and pop it in the fridge. Took maybe 5m and much fewer bubbles than making it in a bottle.

@deaconchadwick It really depends on your baby. Our daughter preferred hers warmed up to at least room temp, but I've read of other babies who were fine with formula straight out of the fridge.

If you're EFF, I think the pitcher is an absolute must. It saves a lot of time and gives you more flexibility when pouring out bottles.

@deaconchadwick I served it cold. I lucked out that my baby (now a toddler) was always happy to drink milk or formula at any temperature. So that made it extra convenient! After trying the pitcher for a while I ended up buying a second so there was always a clean one.

@jimp0459 I LOVE using a scale for baking. Recently started with the formula we supplement because I accidently threw away the scooper and legit wondered why I hadn't always weighed it. I'm a sucker for accuracy.

Back