Fit ladies: what are you snacking on?

@cindy32770 Haha the cheese drawer in my fridge is well stocked. The other day I came home from work and housed brie with crackers then went onto my workout… trying to be more mindful lol

@felicitys Have the treats you want, just add a healthy fat or protein. I super craved sweets for like 10 weeks this last pregnancy. So I made a yogurt bowl from Two Good yogurt (2g sugar!), and put whatever I was craving. A sprinkle of shredded coconut, a generous pinch of mini m&m’s, dark chocolate, etc. I got the treat I wanted, plus the added goodness from the yogurt. Handful of cashews or pumpkin seeds, yogurt, add a banana onto that peanut butter/bagel combo I was craving.

@creexpl Oh yes I certainly agree with having treats. I won’t tell you how many pints of ice cream are in my fridge…

I prefer to save mine for after dinner when I’m on the couch rather than the 3pm slump or drive home from work.

@oluyara Totally, I’ve just found myself quite averse to fatty things so I amp up the fat in sneaky ways like nuts / seeds. Then I can add how much I can stomach in the moment

@felicitys I have been having issues with low blood sugar in late pregnancy, so I try to have snacks that have some carbs/sugar but also protein and some fat. Medjool dates stuffed with nuts or almond butter, chocolate covered almonds, yogurt with fruit, apple with cheese, apple with nut butter, carrots with hummus, brown rice cake with nut butter. I also keep nuts in my office and car just in case I need a calorie boost.

It’s good practice to get used to snacking—by 34 weeks I felt I just didn’t have room for 3 full meals so I need to disburse them.

@outofplace_christian Ooo never tried stuffing dates, thanks for the tip!

I was really full in first trimester but have been feeling normal enough to resume my regular eating schedule throughout 2nd. But good to know that feeling may return in 3rd.

@felicitys Low fat string cheese is one of my faves: 50 calories but 6g of protein! Helps keep the portion in check, too (if I’m just cutting into a block of cheese, forget about it lollll). Other than that, I snack on cottage cheese, high fiber toast (with butter, pb, laughing cow cheese, or jam), lots of mandarins, apples, and popcorn.

I also have small portions of roasted nuts around but I’m cautious with them because I’m not good at keeping my portion reasonable lol

@spiritglove Thanks! I bought individually packaged raw nuts from Whole Foods in first trimester and now typically always have these on hand. While more expensive than buying a big bag, helps with portion control and is easy