Final update to: Help understanding low hcg levels

edm1

Hi all, my time here with you has been short, fast, and filled with emotions. Some of you may have read my previous posts, but in short sum:
  • Very faint BFP Thursday 11/12 (estimates 11 dpo)
  • Beta HCG Friday 11/13 came back at 11
  • Beta HCG Monday 11/16 came back at 24. I was already feeling in my gut that this wouldn't work, but my DH and doctor were hopeful that my numbers were rising and we had just caught it super early.
  • Beta HCG Wednesday 11/18 came back at 34. Progesterone 13.4. Got the call from my doctor's medical assistant on thursday morning and knew then and there we were done. I spent all weekend worried that it might be ectopic, or that it would end up an MMC and just wanted it to end so I could began moving on. Started having dull but persistent R side pain that gave me panic about ecoptic.
  • Tuesday 11/24: Began spotting. Saw MD again and told her about the pain. She sent me for a "stat" transvaginal @spiritualtranscendence and results were inconclusive. Good news is no sign of ectopic, but also no sign of pregnancy anywhere so they still couldn't rule it out.
  • Wednesday, today, 11/25: Bleeding and cramps picked up during the night and I'm now in full force AF. Doctors office called and my beta HCG from yesterday was 11.
So, though of course I wanted a miracle pregnancy, I am SO SO relieved that I'm miscarrying naturally and early and I can now begin moving on. I felt stuck in limbo knowing I wouldn't be bringing home a baby in July but still being pregnant. I am also so happy that it doesn't appear to be ectopic, and if it is, it's resolving itself.

I'll see my doctor again next week for one more follow up and blood work to be sure beta HCG is back down under 5. I discussed progesterone supplement with her because I feel it was possibly the cause of this CP. Yes, I know it could also have been chromosomal abnormalities. But I have a 10 day LP with spotting by day 9 and low post O temps so I feel confident I do have low P. She felt it wasn't necessary but agreed it can't hurt and said she could give it to me if it would make me feel better. So next week at my follow up I will bring it up again and request it for going forward.

Thank you all again. You're a wonderful community and everyone was so nice and supportive. I only hope I can be back here with you soon, with a happy story. I wish you all a wonderful holiday season!

@edm1 Damn :( I've been waiting for an update, hoping for good news!

I hope you are able to take the next steps soon with your doctor (like getting your progesterone checked out) to rule out any future miscarriages that could be avoided.

@edm1 I am so sorry!

I'm glad you find a doctor willing to rx progesterone since yours was low. Just make sure you know to chart your ovulation and start it 2 - 3 days past a positive opk. If you start progesterone too soon in your cycle, you can stop ovulation. Then you stay on progesterone until you've know you aren't pregnant. Your period will usually start 3 - 4 days after you stop progesterone.

I've had 4 pregnancies. 2 I kept with progesterone help, including this one. And two I miscarried because of low progesterone, after I couldn't get the doc to rx after tests showed I was low. So I know progesterone can help pregnancies stick if you are low and the baby is fine otherwise.

I hope to see you back here soon. Hugs!

Back