Final Miscarriage

nicholasb

8.5w journey - also posted in r/miscarriage- just wanted to share

(TW: miscarriage)

Hi all, I just had my D&C of my 5th and final miscarriage. I’m 40 now, and after 5 losses I’m ready to accept I will not have any more babies.
I just wanted to write it out-

I conceived this baby on July 12th (yes I was tracking lol). Conceived with lots of love and good times.

Unknowingly, the baby (I want to call it baby, I know it wasn’t yet) traveled with me from Canada to Holland to see my family, after more than 20 months apart due to Covid. ‘We’ hiked, we ran, we went to the beach. On the last day in Holland, I found out I was pregnant.

I was nervous, scared. Not sure if I even wanted this, so scared of pain after so many losses. I wrote about those fears and doubts.

We traveled back to Canada, embraced by my son (8) and partner. I told my partner the next day, and we agreed to not get excited, not after the 4 losses we had had.
But baby grew, and I had ultrasounds every week (high risk of ectopic). Hormones kicked in, boobs hurt, I started feeling tired, and my mental health suffered.

I became sick, so sick, throwing up 8-14 times a day. I was suffering. I booked an abortion - I didn’t know how to pull through. But I postponed that abortion, had another scan and saw baby grow and have a heartbeat. I got medications that made me a little less sick. I canceled the abortion. I felt love, I wanted this, no matter how sick and awful I felt. But I was so so scared.

Then an 8 week scan. Baby measured 8w, such a strong heartbeat. I had hope, started to imagine the future, names…I think it was a girl, I would have called her Sigrid. I smiled, I loved.

But a next visit with my OB was just a few days later, and she offered a scan just for reassurance. Baby measured 8w5d, but the heartbeat was so so slow.
I knew what that meant. The next days were hell. I was still vomiting, my breasts hurt, so tired, for nothing. My baby was dying inside of me.
I tried to do things with it - went to the pool, took walks in the sun.

Yesterday before my scan I jogged up a big hill. I was so sick, but wanted to take baby to my favourite spots in the city - the woods with a view of the entire city. I rubbed my belly, I said sorry for not being sure, for being so scared, and told baby she (?) was loved, wanted.

At the scan, the heartbeat had stopped. 8w5d. I was able to get a D&C the same afternoon. The nurses and doctors were very sweet. I’m home now, sad, empty. But the nausea is gone, the brain fog is gone, and my mental health aside from this grief is more stable. There’s mercy in that.

I don’t know what’s next. No more pregnancies for me. I told my partner that if he wants a biological child, it cannot be with me. I will honour his decisions, and he can always be a part of my and my son’s lives. I don’t know the future, and I am sad there will be no more baby for me, but I know I am privileged and am grateful for what I have.

I wish my 5 losses had a grave, a spot to go to and cry. Maybe I’ll get a tattoo, or set up a little spot at home. If I had a girl she would be named Sigrid, a boy Oskar. I dreamt of a little baby girl, which in the past I thought was a sign, and that dream became a reason to keep trying. But it was just a dream. I gave it my all, and then some, and it was still worth it.

@nicholasb I’m so sorry for your losses. I think your idea about getting a tattoo or setting up a spot at home sounds like a good idea - my therapist suggested that I plant a seed or a tree to commemorate my loss, so that’s another idea. Sending you grace and compassion ❤️

@katrina2017 Thank you and I’m sorry for your loss. A tree or seed is lovely in principle, but I have a habit of killing plants 😬 and in this climate (Montreal) it’s especially hard. A tattoo is a safer bet for me haha

@nicholasb Ha, I am also a serial plant killer which is why I didn't plant a seed either. Actually I'm still thinking about what I want to do to commemorate mine - I am thinking a tattoo, too, but I'm not sure what I would even get.

@katrina2017 I was thinking of getting a tattoo of Jizo- the Buddhist guardian of deceased children (including unborn). I am not sure if it’s cultural appropriation to do so, but I have not been able to find an equivalent meaningful symbol.

@nicholasb I don't think it's cultural appropriation to find something meaningful in that way. If it gives you some solace, I hope you feel comfortable getting it. I'm so very sorry for your loss and am sending you love.

@nicholasb Everything, EVERY SINGLE THOUGHT, was completely normal and I'm so sorry that you have had to go through so much!

A tattoo is a great idea, I find mine to be very good at getting me to a processing stage of any major life changing event.

Sending love and hugs

@nicholasb I’m so sorry for your loss. I got a little Jizo statue for my lost baby that I keep in a houseplant. I look at him often. Wishing you healing in the months ahead.

@nicholasb We are also OAD after 2 early miscarriages and a painful TFMR at 17 weeks due to chromosomal abnormality. I am 37 and the decision is hard. I don’t know what we’ll do for permanent birth control yet as I refuse to take anymore hormones but therapy is helping me sort this out. The pain has to end. I’m sorry we are both here. ❤️

@birdyluv0 I am so so sorry for your losses. A TMFR must be especially brutal. I don’t wish any of this to anyone. Today I saw a Facebook pic of myself 5 years ago, before I experienced any loss, and I wish I could bring part of that person back. It changed me. But then I remember as well how all the loss and grief also came with a profound gratitude for the son I have. I kind of took a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby for granted…. Never again.
I’m also in therapy, and have been for years and years throughout my losses, it has helped me tremendously. Especially as I’ve lost friends - some got ‘compassion fatigue’ I guess. Nobody likes sad stories without a happy ending or easy fix.
Before this final loss, I paused on trying for a year and a half. I knew at my age that was risky, but I needed it (plus pandemic omg). In that period I got a window into the full OAD without trying life, and it’s a good life. A great life even. I hope I can get back to that mindset. I don’t think I’ll be able to see pregnant bellies and newborn babies for a long time without feeling pain, but life around those moments is pretty great. Being part of this sub is also a constant reminder of the upsides of OAD - money, time, sleep, independence, etc etc but yeah it wasn’t my plan A….

Lots of love and strength to you

@nicholasb oh honey, you brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry for your losses. You wanted that --and you are enough. This is not your fault. You're allowed to feel sad, bitter, angry. You're also allowed to feel relief.

I wish I had some advice to give you. Internet hugs to you.

Back