Doctor said my 6mo needs PT

springwillow

So she's technically a nurse practitioner but she told me that if my 6mo isn't sitting up on his own by 7 months he needs physical therapy. Isn't this a bit extreme? All the research I've found said they can sit up unassisted anywhere from 6-8 months. I'm considering switching, I just want to know when y'all's little ones started sitting up unassisted

@springwillow I personally think that's a little early to worry. However, I would ask her why she recommends it so early. Does she see some other signs as well that lead her to this recommendation? Is she recommending PT or just an evaluation?

I personally don't think this a reason to switch providers. But I would ask her more questions.

@eb231 It could also depend on where OP lives, the availability of services, whether public services are the only option and the length of the waiting list. In my area there are public and private and early intervention means getting on the list and removing yourself if it isn't needed or when you get the call to schedule the evaluation and realize it isn't needed.

If waiting 4 months past the milestone for evaluation means getting on a list with a 3 month wait then I'd be glad they NP said something at the 6mo appointment rather than wait until the 1 year, or a sick visit, or the flu shot at 9 months or whatever.

@eb231 I'm definitely gonna talk to her, it feels wrong to ask to switch to only the pediatrician before even asking more about her reasoning now that I have more information. She's a very nice lady, but like you said I think it's a bit early to recommend physical therapy. I mean it's also slightly worrying to hear "your child may need physical therapy"

@springwillow Try not to think of it that way. PTs are available as early intervention and are a wonderful assist in parenting.

The reason for PT is either to prevent something that is already a given (like a traumatic brain injury) from getting worse (and in the best case, improving somewhat) OR to get an otherwise healthy person back to where they need to be. All in the least invasive way possible.

PTs help prevent surgery in some cases (mostly adults, but some kids) and improve quality of life.

My son has 2 PTs - one general (I think she's actually occupational therapist, but 🤷🏼‍♀️) and a speech therapist (Yes, she still helped with things even when he couldn't talk). He has grown LEAPS and BOUNDS with his therapists and his daycare supporting him (in addition to us, of course). He's on the verge of exciting the program as a two year old.

@finnyjoyfj I agree with most of this comment. I’ve used PT much of my adult like for varying injuries or during pregnancy to prevent pain and keep me mobile. I’ve always found it to be a great way to learn more about my body and helpful knowledge to build upon.
Ask your dr all the questions you have but I also wouldn’t think of PT as a bad thing. She might just be being proactive

@macherieamour They also have pediatric physical therapists in the buildings that offer soeech therapy and occupational therapy, at least where we go. Some kiddos are regular visitors, while some are just healing after a broken bone.

@finnyjoyfj We have two therapists for our 7mo. One is a pediatric OT and the other is a SLP that specializes in bottle feeding.

Our baby girl was born with tordicollis (a fancy way of saying she had a crick in her neck). She had pretty poor head and neck control from the very start and it wasn’t getting better quickly, and we were worried she’d get a flat spot on her head because she was always looking to the right and slept with her head turned all the time. At around 4mo she was nowhere near able to hold up her head on her own, nowhere near able to roll on her own, and was really struggling to bottle feed because her entire upper body motor control was weak. Whenever we put her in tummy time she would just put her head down and scream.

Fast forward to today (four months of therapy) and she’s sitting up, sucking down bottles (still some difficulties with that, she never really liked bottles and greatly preferred breast feeding) and is learning to eat solids. Her head and neck control is fantastic and we can carry her around in a front-facing carrier and she just bobs along and loves it so much.

I honestly am so thankful for our therapists and what they’ve done four our baby. Also, extra shout-out to my boss who was totally cool with me working from home a lot and taking time off three times a week to take my baby to appointments.

BONUS: PT sessions are like a hardcore workout for babies. 30-45 minute PT session and she goes down for a nap with zero complaints and stays asleep for a solid 2 hours, and is in a great mood when she wakes up.

@springwillow Best case they are right and your child gets the help they need. Worst case you waste some hours and your kid gets ahead of the curve. Recommending PT seems very reasonable to make sure you don’t hit 8 months without sitting up then you have to play catch up instead of getting ahead of it. You should at least get an evaluation and understand what this level of PT entails before you make up your mind.

@springwillow I would honestly give the PT a chance, after you've clarified reasoning with the nurse practitioner.

My son has this weird thing going on with his left foot. It points outwards (out-toeing) and is significantly more narrow than his right foot. We got some xrays done and the Dr checked him out and was like "All looks fine, he might just be a little asymmetrical." But now that he's pulling to stand & cruising, it's SO OBVIOUS that he favors the right foot and only uses the left as an anchor. Which also means he favors his right hand to grab things while standing, because he continues holding on with his left.

Idk, it's just worrying me and I felt really dismissed when I asked about PT. If it's not a financial or time burden, I'd say just go for the initial appointment and see what the physical therapist says. They might just give you some phenomenal activities to do at home to speed up progress! I really don't think it could hurt.

@bynom I would ask about this one again... I mentioned that my son seemed to already be right handed when he was around 6 months, and just from that comment we got sent for a brain ultrasound and then onto PT to make sure he was using both sides of his body equally. Didn't end up being serious, just a mild case of torticollis, but still would recommend a second opinion....

@springwillow Why is physical therapy worrying to you?
Personally I was concerned about my sons headshape at 4 months and begged for a referral to the helmet clinic. Almost nobody else could see the flat spot I was freaking out about. Our pediatrician gave us a referral to PT and it was great. We were able to correct his head shape and torticollis with some stretches and strengthening exercises. PT told us they were happy to tell our pediatrician to write us a referral for the helmet clinic but they honestly didn’t think he would even qualify.

@springwillow Based on those simple facts it does seem extreme. BUT early intervention/physical therapy is GREAT for kids. They give a ton of great tips on how to help your kid. And early IS better. A lot of physical therapy have long wait lists, so she may be recommending earlier due to this

@gbredr Agree with this. We started PT with our baby and she’s made huge leaps and strides with her physical development.

Bonus: PT sessions are like a hardcore workout for babies. 30-45 minutes of PT and she goes down for naps like a champ.

@gbredr Yes! My baby has Down syndrome so she’s been in PT since the get go but I’ve been telling everyone that I think every baby would benefit from it! I hope I can remember to do these things for baby #2 as it just seems so helpful.