Do you consider it "taboo" for a boy to see the diaper changing of his baby sister?

knorvy10

I was having a discussion with my husband, and I asked him if he ever changed a diaper before (because he has younger siblings) and he mentioned that whenever his mom would change his baby sister's diaper, she'd always tell him to go away, and that it's more or less a "shame" to see.

I had an adverse reaction to this, as I could never think about a baby's diaper changing in this way.. especially when it comes to your own baby sister.. or any baby for this matter. I responded that this is sexualizing children, more so the sibling thats being told to not look, and making them feel shameful or that they're doing something wrong. I also mentioned that if it was opposite roles, that there probably wouldn't be any issue with a girl seeing her baby brother getting changed.. a baby is a baby regardless if gender, and that its sexist and unfair to do that to boys and contributes to the existing animalistic male stereotypes.

He took offense to this and responded that it was more of a privacy thing for his baby sister than a sexual thing.

Thoughts?

@knorvy10 No, I really don’t see why a child would be sent away. My brother and I always shared a bath too when we were toddlers. We had a lot of fun in the big bath together with all our Duplo blocks.

Back