Do y’all also do this to your kids?

tobi80

Hi. So I’m 14 and earlier tonight, I was eating, watching the wrestlemania press conference and when I was waiting for my food to finish my mom started talking about how she’s tired of having to write stuff on the board or asking for simple things like washing the dishes, or sweeping the kitchen floor, or vacuuming the living room floor. Even though she knows that’s how my brain works, you have to write stuff down for me to do it, and I don’t know if that’s something normal or not. And I kinda made a remark of “I do the opposite of what you tell me to do” as a complete joke! And yet she just started popping off, “don’t sweep the floor”, “don’t live as a slob”. So I guess my question is, do y’all also do this to your kids? And sorry this is so long and kinda turned into a vent. Love y’all. Keep you and your children safe. 💜💜💜

@tobi80 She might have had a rough day. We don’t always communicate the best either so give her a break every now and then. At 14 I expected my son to do things without always having to be asked. Try to set your own reminders and give her a hand sometimes. She will 100% appreciate it.

@tobi80 She might just not want to have to be your manager. Since even though you are helping by doing the chore, she has to keep track of it and remember to remind you or write it down, so it's still on her mental load.

You guys should have communicated better and you are still a kid, so the responsibility to have the better behaviour is on her. She is probably just annoyed that she probably has/had to do the same with your dad.

@tobi80 I have a 12yo with similar issues, and it's truly exhausting having to constantly remind him of the same basic rules we've had forever ( don't leave your laundry everywhere, don't throw stuff around, clean your room, don't leave food out where your toddler siblings can spill it). Imagine if you had to tell your friend constantly how to act like a human bc they were an alien. How quickly would that get exhausting? The older you get, the more responsibility you have to take on. Write your own list, and set a schedule with alarms.

@tobi80 It’s a good lesson for when you get older. Your Mom won’t always be around to tell you what to do and eventually you have to help yourself and be independent and proactive.

@tobi80 You already know what needs to be done. Whatever your routine chores are needs to be done repeatedly over time. Make yourself a list in the notes app of your phone, and set alarms to go off periodically to remind you to do the chores on that schedule. This way everyone wins. The house gets cleaned on a schedule, you show your mom that you are being responsible, it’s written down so you can see it, and your mom doesn’t have to write it down anymore. Show her you are responsible.

Back