Do I Choice Breastfeeding or Weight Loss?

guille

Hi Fellow Ladies! I am needing advice on how to approach weight loss.

A little bit of background. I am 8 weeks PP with my first and hopefully only baby. I weighed 140lb when I became pregnant. Delivered at 190lb. Since then, I have floated around 165-170lb w/o exercise. I wanted to start working out around the 3-week mark but due to some severe tears down in my hoohah, I didn't get cleared for exercise until 6 weeks.

Another dilemma - I am exclusively pumping for my daughter and I am struggling to produce enough milk for her. I average 20 oz a day. She consumes between 24-28 oz a day so I am having to supplement 1-2 bottles per day for her. My goal is to eventually get her off formula but my workout attempts have resulted in lower milk production on those days.

I drink 160 oz of water per day, take my prenatal vitamins, sleep 7 hours per day, eat relatively healthy by limiting fast food and junk food and always try to get walks outside as the weather permits (it's been a hot ass summer!)

I want to lose weight gradually but not too slowly as I will lose motivation if I don't see change quickly (personality flaw). My initial goal was to be between 125-130lb by 9 months but I'm not sure how to do that without impacting my milk supply. How can I lose weight while not impacting my already low milk production?

Thanks!!

@guille You're really early still. I wouldn't worry about weight or calories until 6 months. Just eat healthy and when you're hungry. Try to just walk a lot but don't over do it. I found breastfeeding helped with weight loss and it was slow and gradual but it keeps moving in the right direction for a year. It takes almost the full year to get back to goal weight. So be kind to yourself and start slow.

@guille I wish I had been kinder to my body at 8 weeks, I accepted that as "it" and bought clothes etc. To suit that body. At 5 months once my milk regulated something clicked (for me, this was my situation, it varies) and I've been losing weight since, I'm now below my pre pregnancy weight
I know it can be hard but you grew a baby for 9 months, you should be giving yourself 9 months (this is when many people say they feel like themselves again) to return to that version of you.

@kwells Your first sentence is so true. OP, this is really fresh! I was so frustrated with my body at 8 weeks, thinking I was stuck between weight loss or breastfeeding. In hindsight it wasn’t true, I was just impatient and hard on myself. I’m still only 4 months out but looking back I’ve been slowly losing weight the whole time. And now, my body seems to be getting back to normal at a faster pace. Move a little more, eat healthy, things will look different in another couple of months.

@guille I am in a very similar spot. I am almost 14 weeks pp and I am very ready to lose some of this weight. I started out at 125 and weighed in at 174 when I was admitted to the hospital for pre-eclampsia. I have been sitting at 150 since my little one joined us. I am exclusively pumping and find a similar experience of on workout days my supply makes a small drop.

Somethings I am doing are:
-calorie & macro counting - I want to check in and see how much I am actually eating. And I am making sure on workout days I eat more protien.
-walking - I think its a highly underrated weightloss tool and when I walk the scale goes down but my supply does not
-focusing on body composition - ultimately what I really want is less flab and for my prepregnancy clothes to fit lol. So weight lifting and adding muscle, which I definitely lost while pregnant are priorities. Starting slowly with pelvic floor.

So far I'm about a week and a half in, with a serious focus and I've lost 2 pounds, which is not much but its start.

I hope some of that helps!

@guille I think everyone is different so it’s difficult to advise on this but for me I was about 135 pre-pregnancy, delivered at 190 and now I’m hovering around 140 but am finding it hard to lose the last few pounds. I lost weight due to breastfeeding but I also run, walk and bike every chance I get (averaging about 12,000 steps a day). I haven’t done much with diet because I need the calories for breastfeeding.

I would give it a bit more time with your current routine to see if the numbers change but based on my personal experience, increasing activity was what did it for me!

Everyone is different though so I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself! This period goes by really quickly and I kind of regret getting so hung up on my weight those first few months. The recovery period is definitely a marathon not a sprint.

@struggles17 I was similar pre-pregnancy weight and delivery weight to you. Can I ask how far postpartum are you? I’m 4.5 months and stuck at 158. Been working out consistently for 9 days now lol. Also exclusively breastfeeding, trying to start a bottle of formula a day but baby currently doesn’t like it, so I practice with her a little here and there

@roadoftravel I’m 7 months postpartum. I’ve been stagnant on weight loss for about 3 months now…but I’m not pushing it for the last few pounds. I’m sure once I’m able to diet they’ll come off. Just don’t want to push my luck with my supply

@guille I have almost the exact same stats as you. I stopped breastfeeding at 6 months and I could not lose a pound before that. A lot of women can’t lose weight while breastfeeding because of hormones (something nobody told me until I was one of them). I’m 8 months postpartum and have lost 15 pounds in the last 2 months by not even doing anything extreme. I would have loved to have continued breastfeeding, but there were several reasons I stopped. Whatever you decide, if your weight loss is slow during breastfeeding don’t be too hard on yourself because once you stop it’ll probably come off fast (if you’re like me).

@guille I lost all 50 lbs of pregnancy weight by 6 months postpartum while breastfeeding without it impacting my supply. After giving birth, I felt my appetite slowly reduce (I didn’t have the urge to snack as much) and gradually stared reducing the number of calories I ate. I have been eating until I feel I’ve had enough (never full or stuffed) and have been able to maintain my supply. However, I also recognize that every body is different and several factors worked in my favor:
- Genetics
- I have access to a fully stacked home gym, work from home and have been able to work out 3-4x a week
-my baby also has been home these past 6 months and I’ve been able to exclusively breastfeed (I think this really helps maintain my supply)
- I have a partner who eats the same diet as I do (hardly any processed foods)
- Our baby is a good sleeper so I’ve also been also to get enough rest
- I live in a walkable neighborhood and was going for 1 hour walks with my dog since 6 weeks postpartum

Although I’m happy with my body externally, I still have a bladder prolapse that isn’t completely healed and it preventing me from going extra with weightlifting.

You got this, it just takes some time!

@guille You can always focus on weight loss but you can’t always enjoy infant time, it’s fast and fleeting. W that said don’t feel any pressure to BF. I hated it and it wasn’t right for me and made me miserable. I was similar weight to you. And didn’t lose weight for the first year and it was really hard. But now 17 months postpartum I have lost a lot (w kiddo in daycare it really helps ) and looking back I just wish I had relaxed and enjoyed the time bc I can never have that back. Enjoy movement and eating healthy but perhaps do it to feel strong and nourished rather than what the scale says (there is a lot more data that’s helpful than just the stupid scale #) hugs mama! Your body is strong and has been thru a lot

@guille Most women lose weight while breastfeeding. Weightloss can be done whenever but giving your child critical nutrients that will benefit them for a lifetime is temporary. Your so should be understanding as well. I just hit yr mark of breastfeeding and now losing weight and my husband understanding bcuz need to take xare of baby and give him headstart at good health in life. Just continue nursing and walking and progress should come slowly but surely

@soulm8 Yup! As soon as you stop producing altogether the breastmilk doesn't just reappear. It's only stimulated by pregnancy most of the time especially for 1st time moms. "U only get one shot do not blow this chane this opportunity comes once in a lifetime"- slim shady

@guille I think it’s a personal choice! I choose not to breastfeed because I wanted my body back and I didn’t want to struggle with body image. 4 months postpartum and I’m 10 pounds below pre pregnancy weight AND I love my body more now than when I got pregnant. That is absolutely worth formula feeding TO ME. It’s not for everyone, but I’d do it a million times over. I hear so many stories about women who feel like strangers in their bodies postpartum and honestly I’m glad I don’t relate.

@katrina2017 This. I am still breastfeeding at 21 months and do feel like a stranger in my own body (need to lose 40 pounds). However.. knowing the lifelong benefits of breast milk for my baby is what keeps me going. I’d love to have a bangin body again… but I have NEVER regretted breastfeeding and has no idea it would become this special and cherished. Although I look forward to dieting and getting this weight off.. I am going to be sad when our nursing journey ends. This is likely my only baby as well. I struggled haaard learning to breastfeed and that’s why I’m going to BF into my baby wants to quit. As the previous commenter said, breastfeeding vs weight loss is a very personal choice. Wish you the best!!

@guille Choose whichever you feel will be best for your mental health, that will be best for your child in the long run.

I started weight watchers and a pretty intense exercise program at 12 weeks pp with my 2nd child. I had success with weight watchers because they have plans that cater to breastfeeding. I was able to do both, and not worry about my supply because there was always a healthy snack option. After my first child, I was only able to lose about half the "baby weight" even though I was exercising because anytime I cut calories my supply tanked. Sounds like you're doing everything else that I did, so maybe give weight watchers a try.

@guille Have you considered power pumping to see if it is just a supply issue? I would also consider calorie counting over exercise. Exercise puts a greater strain on your body.

I would track food intake and supply, but halt the exercise, and add in an extra pumping session in place of it. Once you have an idea of whether or not you can pump enough without exercise and maintain your weight, you could drop some intake calories and see if you're able to make it budge.

I was not able to lose any weight while breastfeeding, but I also did not calorie count, just ate to fullness. I am currently pregnant again and due in a few weeks, so I'll be trying exactly my advice and see if it helps this time around.