Anyone want more kids but OAD was ultimately the right choice?

@leonardod I’m in a similar but not same boat - I KNOW that going through pregnancy and infanthood / early toddlerhood a second time will destroy my mental health and I’ve even told my husband that.

We have ONE 15-month old. No village. We are somewhat high income (our taxable income on our tax return starts with a 3) in a medium COL city so we can fortunately afford some degree of paid childcare help.

I have a few hobbies / passions that are incredibly time-consuming (competitive distance running, currently finishing a novel, international travel…i was a digital nomad before i “settled down” in the burbs).

And i just don’t feel like myself at all.

I LOVE being my son’s mom.

I always believed (for me) that kids was a “have 0 or have 2+” thing.

I was an only child who struggled mightily to make friends; my first real friend (ie not an acquaintance or close coworker or friendly neighbor) that I ever met in my life was my husband whom I met at the ripe age of 40.

I literally had ZERO FRIENDS until I was 40. I tried to throw birthday parties a few times and no one would come, so I just gave up after a while.

Oh, i’m 43 and I could be at the end of my rope re conceiving naturally. We are totally gucci w adoption though, but that is not an easy process.

I’m literally terrified of having just one. I remember my life before I met my husband- loneliness, alienation, being constantly the target of bullying in school, and learning at an early age how worthless I was. I don’t want him to go through that for decades of his life until he, like, meets a life partner like I did.

But I know logically that some only children still manage to make friends even if they do not have cousins nearby, and that many only children manage to make lifelong “chosen family.” I just am socially unlucky, but that’s scarred me enough to want to give my son the exact opposite of what my childhood was like.

TLDR - I would sacrifice my mental health if it meant that my son wouldn’t go through decades of loneliness and anguish like I did. But would his experience be the same? The ONLY reason I’d be having another kid would be so he’d have someone . But what if he manages to make friends and doesn’t ever think twice about a sibling?

We also have no cousins for him as my husband is no-contact with his sister. And I’m not close with any of my cousins.

I broke down to my husband that I just don’t think I can have another child (ie go thru the infant / toddler phase) and keep my mental health and he seems to be totally fine with that and that I’ll get over it…..

@gordon63 Oof I relate to this so much. We have no village, good income, various hobbies (I.e long distance running, reading, domestic and international travel) and it’s been hard finding myself again. Independently and with my husband.

I love being a mom. It’s one of my greatest joys. I think most of my fears regarding my daughter being an only kid is potential loneliness and having to deal with me and my husband in our old age. And there are so many single kids who are fine and don’t worry about these things. But the what ifs get ya some times.

@leonardod Yeah…it’s the “what ifs” that kill me.

I mean, the “having no friends” is a simplification; I was unpopular due to a bad perm and unfortunate fashion choices in middle / high school and didn’t truly find my social footing until my 20s/30s.

Now I have a large network of friends I love on 5-6 continents … just none of them are true “chosen family,” ie friends you make when you’re 3 and keep until you’re 80.

They’re all friends I made as an adult and I had to go through a lot of social rejection, putting myself out there, being gossiped about, etc and that was painful sometimes so I want to spare my son that experience.

@leonardod Gods r/oneanddone is such a toxic sub. It used to be a really good sub a couple years ago but these days is as hostile towards big families or fencesitting as r/childfree is to children in general. Anyone having doubts about OAD being the best choice for their personal situation is no longer welcome there and it did not used to be that way. I still very well might remain OAD or I may go on to have another, but I’ve since unsubscribed from that sub. It’s no longer healthy in there.

Back