Didn’t get the promotion

@mormonmartini Just putting this out there—if you’re only going off a generic rejection email you can’t be 100% positive you didn’t get it. Could be a mistake, they could’ve closed the position because they were telling you tomorrow, etc.

Your assumption is probably right, but I’d say hear it from them before you burn any bridges.

@reluctantasr This happened to me a few years ago- I accepted the offer and next day received an automated email saying I was rejected. They apparently forgot to remove me when they closed the position (they were embarrassed and it was no big deal once I confirmed it was an oversight).

@reluctantasr I’m a federal employee - but every time I’ve been hired, the system has still given me a reject email … even when I know they’ve told me I’m the candidate. Not telling you that it’s 100% wrong, but I think all this HR systems have issues.

Good luck!

@mormonmartini I would recommend reaching out and advising you got the generated email, politely explain you are bummed as you felt like you are doing the job functions currently. I would ask for feedback on your interview and aspects you could improve.

My advice is even though it sucks, just be kind and lay out your current role and the aspects of this role you are already doing - ask for a raise. If they don’t ask, how soon they will expect the new person to be taking on these tasks and the training for the role. If they ask you too, ask for a raise.

@benjaminndavid As someone who was hired into a managing position, I personally don’t think this is a good approach. Obviously, this situation sounds different, but one of the people who reported to me wouldn’t help with anything - like unique to the company processes etc. I had 10 years more experience than her, a technical license, and honestly just a LOT more technical knowledge. Like I said I’m not saying this is the case, but if nothing else it’s simply not nice or professional to refuse to help someone who’s new. She made it really difficult for me to even use my skills because she would purposely not share client information, etc. if nothing else, it was mean. Idk - I’ve been passed over for promotions before and while it felt crummy I didn’t take it out on whoever was hired who had no control over it. Some of the people didn’t work out and they were gone quickly, others I built lasting relationships with that I’m glad I didn’t tarnish even if I’m no longer with that company.

@mormonmartini I am so sorry. Unfortunately this is at least the third time I've heard about really awesome internal candidates finding out they didn't get a position through a generic auto email. Both times the person then left for better positions.

@mormonmartini I obviously don’t know your experience level or what the other candidates being. I will say that this has happened to me before, I’ve been passed over for a job I thought I was totally ready for in favour of someone else. Both times the new person came in and I learned SO much from them. I wouldn’t be where I am in my career now (senior leadership) if I’d not been willing to learn. Obviously if the new hire came in and was clearly at my level this wouldn’t have been applicable and I know my boss was just an idiot, but I’d never have known if I’d immediately left without seeing what it was about the new person that made my boss hire them over promoting me.

@mormonmartini The same thing happened to me. I applied for an internal promotion. My boss ended up hiring someone who didn't have all the qualifications I had. The new hire didn't even know how to use Excel. I ended up looking for a new job and landed one with a $25,000 increase. Jokes on them - less than a year later, the new hire was fired.