Deep breath and here we go

@carlosbroch I think at 17 he should fail or pass on his own. He has to deal with the consequences of his actions or lack thereof. Don't limit his activities. Just tell him he is responsible for it all and encourage him not overschedule himself. He'll be going to college soon and he'll have to do this on his own.

@carlosbroch A lot of these time procrastination and outburst sound like adhd. Is it possible this is why he is struggling! As someone who was diagnosed as an adult … I understand now why struggles so hard in school and staying organized

@kostas89 I agree. I had same issues with my very smart son lying, getting bad grades due to sheer "laziness" & he didn't even have extracurricular activities except a job. He went on Wellbutrin until he could start seeing a therapist & I can't even tell you what a difference it has made. He's had a few appointments with a therapist finally & they diagnosed him with ADHD, which we always knew was a possibility. But with addiction in his family (not my side), we weren't too keen on the meds for it. They say there's better meds out now. We just haven't gotten there yet.

@carlosbroch I hope this helps and opens the door to atleast having the conversation. As an adult who got late diagnosed, I am now medicated. I couldn’t imagine how different my life was if I knew I had ADHD and the tools / strategies to manage my life with it.

Instead, I just felt lazy and incapable and Weird and alone because I didn’t “fit in / function” like typical people. My dad was so mean to me about “my differences” and I’m not going to lie… it’s caused lasting issues. Not just from my parents but just the guilt of “why can’t I do this… or why can’t I just be organized or take a shower, or not being able to get things done until the last minute”.

Knowing that my brain just works differently now, has made me extend so much grace with myself and others.

You’re a good mom, trying to find answers and solutions and caring about your son’s wellbeing. Good luck ☺️

@carlosbroch I am sorry your son is having a hard time. Honestly, he sounds pretty angry on the inside. You seem like a great Mom, so I doubt his anger is towards you, but none the less, slamming cabinets and breaking stuff is an alarming red flag.

I’m not sure how I would handle the missing assignments. I have never been the best at holding my daughter accountable, but I am trying to do better!

I do think your son needs some type of accountability for his behavior in the kitchen though. In my humble opinion, I would use this event as a catalyst towards getting him into counseling. A simple anger management class might do wonders for him. Even a self-paced one online.

I feel like you are in a very unique situation bc you can still legally require your son to go to a counselor but that window will close as soon as he turns 18.

Teens his age are going through an unprecedented amount of stress. The amount of distractions in a given day are more frequent then they have ever been. Your son may be having a hard time prioritizing where to put his energy right now. I feel like a counselor could really help with that. And if, on the off chance, his recent behavior is due to something more severe, then getting him mental health support now could save his life in the future.

I hope you don’t mind me saying all of this. I honestly don’t even know where all this is coming from. I just felt compelled to answer and started typing.

I am thinking of you and your son and I hope he is back on his best path soon.

@carlosbroch Please stop punishing him because that will only continue to push him away from you and encourage a relationship of distance and closed emotions, which leads to deceit and ultimately a damaged relationship and leave him with memories of trauma. A punitive approach is never a more successful option than a collaborative one.

Have you had him assessed for ADHD? I was very smart and did very well at school (first in my year level twice) when motivated but also really struggled with severe procrastination, and the typical ADD type distractability which can’t be “punished” away because it’s not a choice, it’s our brains hardwired dopamine seeking activity. Executive function can be very degraded even in highly intelligent people.

Try to approach him with love and empathy. Connect with him by finding out what he finds fun, what is the thing that he finds so enjoyable that he doesn’t notice time passing while he is doing it? What things excite an inspire him, when has he been proud of himself, what has he overcome. The Peter Benson TED talk on finding your child’s spark is brilliant:

Focus on strengths, and spend time just doing little things with him like just have a brewed tea in the evenings together, or getting an ice cream by the beach or whatever simple thing feels nice and doesn’t have an end goal. Build the positive parts of your relationship with him and that will lead to a greater trust, connection and more open communication. Then you can start to talk through what he feels and what are the obstacles he is struggling with (he may not be able to figure this out alone either) and have some honest, supportive conversations that become constructive.

And if you can, please get him assessed for ADHD or ADD, I wish my parents had done the same for me when I was at school, I may have ended up finishing one of my uni degrees with the right support and maybe medication (not always necessary though, sometimes just OT type support is enough).

@carlosbroch Uhh. I feel like I could be writing this in two years. My son is diagnosed with ADHD. He was in all advanced classes for middle school. Started hs in all advanced, 1 AP, and marching band -- even though I recommended not taking all advanced. He was doing great managing on his own in 8th, now his grades are all over the place with missing and late assignments. I feel like he is playing whack a mole with failing classes. We had his 504 and they added a few modifications, we got one of those open top accordion folders, and I am trying to help him by checking in constantly. I know he needs down time but feel like he has a hard time with not gaming and needing to study. Reading your post really scares me!

@carlosbroch My son was diagnosed in 5th grade. I think it can be harder to diagnose kids who are advanced learners because they are great at compensating until things just get so overwhelming as they get older. I don't remember the process, but understood.org is really great. And I know we went to his doctor first and that is who provides the diagnosis.

@carlosbroch Awwww, I’m going through this with my kids. Please be patient with him because it may be something he cannot control. My oldest has severe OCD. Couldn’t put our finger on it for the longest time but glad we finally did and she was able to get help with the cognitive behavioral therapy. For the longest time she would do a whole assignment, if she did not like something she would delete the whole thing assignment.

For my youngest, she too is a smart girl, excellent grades when she submits the work, and highest reading score in her 8th grade class. It is too hard for her to focus, outbursts similar to your son. Tries to be active in other activities such as sports but gets in trouble often because she can’t focus. She goes to tutoring often but it doesn’t help. She looked up her symptoms and she said “mom, I wonder if I have ADHD, because all of my symptoms point to it.” So we are in the process of getting her tested for that.

Hang in there! It is frustrating when kids lie but just remember it may be something much deeper than that and they may need your help navigating. Good luck!

Back