Dad and baby name rhyme

wannasmile

Hey all. As my wife and I were deciding baby names, the name Felix kept coming up as one the two of us really liked. The only thing is my name is Alexander, but I go by Alex. At first I kind of liked the nod to the “X” in my name (not too many names have X), but I feel like Felix sounds so similar to Alex. My wife disagrees and thinks it’s cute that they are similar but to her they are two completely different names. I was never into the “Alex Jr” thing because I feel like that’s just a old patriarchal way for men to show pride, and I’m feeling like this is too much of that going on. He was born last week and we went with Felix, but I just get slightly uncomfortable saying his name to people. Like will people be like “wow, you named your kid Felix and your name is Alex? A bit conceded don’t you think?” Or “wow, a rhyming dad and son name, he’s going to hate that growing up”

This could all just be first time dad emotional thoughts and I’m overthinking it

@wannasmile Felix and Alex don't rhyme. I can understand why it would be considered weird if the names were

Alexander and Salamander

Or

Derek and Erik

Or

Sean and John

Even in those three instances, I don't think it's conceited. I think the x match is cute.

My name is Kendal and my daughter's name is Clark and I like that we have the matching K's in our names and that we both have unisex names. No one has said anything about it. She's 18 months old now and I don't think anyone has even put that together!

@wannasmile Falex would rhyme with Alex.

Felix would rhyme with Elex.

Felix does not rhyme with Alex.

Felix is a nice name. Maybe you can buy your baby a rhyming book and you can read it now lol

@wannasmile I think you are over thinking it and that the nod to the X in your name is cute. Most people probably wouldn’t even notice or think twice about a father and son Felix/Alex. They are very different names. If anything, I like how they are a little similar because you are father and son. I also like rhyming names to honor your father though lol. My husband is Garrett and we have Barrett at the top of our baby names list haha 😅

@wannasmile They don’t rhyme. I think they are fine together. I doubt anyone would even say that, let alone to your face. If you like Felix then keep it.

@wannasmile i think there is probably more going on these days with handing down names. Many like to honor those they truly loved by using their names. We preferred to try to find a different variant, diminutive, elaboration, or possible anagram.

But I get why it's done in today's world. Even if I see this, there's nothing in that's conceited.

As to Alex / Felix, there is a nuanced difference when I say them out loud but it's not something anyone would really pick out on a daily basis.

I don't see, or rather hear, what you do between these two names. There's nothing in the similarity to make me think, "Oh that's why they choose it!" I can see the symmetry between them, but that's not a patronymic thing at all and the choice certainly makes sense.

If the X was part of the original decision, and you plan on having more, give some thought to the world of X names to see if you want to continue it.

Normally, I wouldn't advise a parent to not keep a name that makes them uncomfortable. There's just no good reason for that when the world of names is so enormous but this time, I think it would be ok. Give it another couple of weeks and if you just aren't there with it buy then, go with plan B, whatever name that was.

@wannasmile I don’t really think OP needs a million comments saying “But Alex and Felix don’t rhyme!” Both names have the same ending sound, which is what OP is trying to see if that’s an issue.

@lozzymagoo That's kinda what everyone is trying to answer by pointing out that they don't rhyme. They are saying the names aren't too similar and don't sound weird together, while it would be a bit odd if they did rhyme.

Thanks everyone! Yeah I think I’ve just said them enough out loud enough times that I convinced myself they rhymed or were way too similar. But you all helped me get out of my own head and accept they are two different names, and not as many people would make the connection as I did. I really do love the name Felix! I think I just needed an outside opinion from someone I don’t know, so I appreciate it everyone

@wannasmile Us colored folks do this all the time. It’s fine!🤣

Brian-Brianna
Kenneth- Kennetha/Kennedy
Eric-Erica/Erin
Sammie-Samantha
Deon-Deonna
Alexander-Alexandra
Thomas-Thomasina

I could go on and on but these are just the people I know personally! Surely nobody would make a fuss over Alex and Felix!

@wannasmile I know everyone in the chat said it’s fine and OP is overthinking it… but I’m going to disagree. For some people it will be confusing. Without doxxing these people I know someone whose father and son are named similar sounding (not quite rhyming) names. I have accidentally called the son by the dad's name before and I'm certain I am not the only one who has done so.