dad’s review of new Barbie movie

@divinelife Tbh I didn't know anything about it except that it exists, until I read the OP I guess. But seeing the PG-13 rating would definitely give me pause when I was buying tickets.

@doubtfulguy Right- you would have seen the rating and googled the movie to see why it got that rating- and like 10-20 seconds on google would've been enough to get the gist of the movie "Barbie has existential crisis, leaves toyland, and ken drinks a lot of beer".

@divinelife I agree with that. My point was this wasn’t like a PG-13 marvel movie or Fast Furious thing. It was more like a brainy Hudsucker Proxy about the hopeless tragedy of womanhood.

@sofialo09 Considering the movie's subtext that women in the real world of today have the unavoidable fate of being held down by the sexist oppression of the patriarchy, it doesn't really seem like there's any meaningful difference. In other words, the movie seems to be saying that existing as a woman today is inherently tragic because women are inherently oppressed by sexism, and sexism is tragic.

@benaiah2015 Yes, that’s why I thought a review made sense to help the dads here. Based on their faces walking out…I’d say very few in our packed theater knew what they’d signed up for. It was well done, tho.

@hemispheres I'd assume that about anyone, male or female, describing themselves as "running a large networking group of entrepreneurs." Nothing sexist about it, it's a sketchy description.

@hemispheres Still sounds like MLM.

"You work for yourself, its your business start-up! You buy the products from me and you can bring in people underneath you to distribute if you wish! Do what you want, you're the CEO!"