dad’s review of new Barbie movie

@mamabear2000 It’s an honest mistake, but also an easily avoidable one. I don’t think the commenter above is hating, just stating facts. I’d definitely lookup a movie’s rating and some info about it before bringing young kids.

@mamabear2000 I'm not 'hating'. It's irresponsible. He even said he knew the rating ahead of time. Still brought his younger kids. If a movie is rated too high for your kids, the absolute least you can do before going is to look it up. It literally takes 5 seconds.

@hemispheres Yes we have a Barbie-mad 5-year-old but I was concerned from the outset that this wasn’t for her. So we read up when it was rated by the film board. Then we had a conversation with her a few weeks ago to explain that this was really a grown-ups movie. She still has all the Barbie movies and series on Netflix. That’s enough for her at this age.

@hemispheres I liked it, psychedelic, original, fun, and some real heavy/heart pieces too.

Also, my 4 year old blond son is definitely going out as "mink coat Ken" for halloween this year 😂

@hemispheres It was directed by Greta Gerwig, celebrated indie director of Lady Bird and Little Women. It’s exactly the movie you’d expect if you know that particular fact.

@hemispheres I got to see it with MAYBE ten total people so even if everyone laughed it wouldn’t have really resonated but you’re right. It was hard to say if the jokes hit everyone, or just the people I was with. But god damn some of them hit us hard lol.

@hemispheres Wow. I haven’t spent much time thinking about this movie but that’s not at all the vibe I got from the stuff I’ve seen on TV. Very interesting to read after seeing the “humorous” crossover ads (Progressive) and reading the biz articles on how this is supposed to be a sea change for Mattel. This makes me more interested to read all the reviews and see how the box office does as we go forward with word of mouth.

Not that I was ever going to see it in theaters…I’ve got 2 under 2 and nobody watches them but my wife and I, and between that and Covid I haven’t been to a theater since 2019. 😢

@hemispheres I feel like the marketing was very clear about what type of movie this was- and any cursory 10 second google before you purchased tickets would have told you what to expect.

And they made little effort to give a 10 year old enough of what they need to stay engaged.

It was also PG13.

Back