Can’t stop missing the younger years

@proangel If I may offer up this… your story is so similar to ours…just the two of us, horrible conflicts in pandemic because of school and him refusing to do the work, my mental breakdown which eventually led to serious family trauma. Again, I could have written this response. So crazy.

I had the same fear and heavy thought…it’ll never be the same. And yes, even though it’s not the same…we have come back to a certain amount of softness which allows for some connection. And so it didn’t stay super hard and some of it did come back. So keep the faith.

I also had to shift to remembering that it was gonna change anyways, as it should at this age so they can individuate. Had none of that hard stuff happened, it was gonna change anyway. Helps get me out of the belief that it’ll never be the same or good again.

Lots of parents remind me that if I approach with compassion that he will come around again. That in later years, when they no longer need to rebel and push us away, they will come around. So I keep the candle burning for that.

I have always taken a liking to his interests so he shares about art with me. And local and global social issues and politics. Actually those are MY interests that i passed on to him…but God forbid I say that! 😂

Happy that you came here to share your heart with us. Helps me too to know I’m not the only one going through this, with such a similar story.

Hugs. Keep sharing and updating us.

@proangel I understand completely. I've been crying missing those younger years as well. 😢
My son is 12, going through the start of puberty etc. He's so different than he used to be...plus we bicker and argue all the time.
He still tells me he loves me and we do things together, but I also "annoy" him.
I want my baby back 😩 I cry watching old videos.

@proangel Came on Reddit to seek advice about just this topic! Happy I’m not alone, thankful for all the advice and currently crying! I have to just sit with these changing times and try to embrace (on her terms) my little one who’s almost grown! 😔