Camping

janzee

Kids are 8, 4, 2, and 7mo. We are going tent camping for 2 nights.. We just spent the last 2 1/2 hours packing up our 2 vehicles to the brim. The kids running around excited acting crazy while we frantically try to remember all the things..

Are we crazy? lol we figure if it’s a nightmare we will just pack up and come home. I know they will remember trips like this forever so trying to stick it out. We aren’t really camping people 😅 vacations are so expensive especially with 6 of us so hoping we have a good time.

@janzee We just got back from camping with 5, 2, and 6 months this past weekend. It went mostly smoothly and had a great time. Hope yours does too!

@janzee You’ve got this! We camped twice this summer with our 1.5 and 3.5 year olds. All in all, it went well.

My tips are:

1) Keep your expectations fluid, haha. Think if this first foray not as a test, but as an experiment. Open a note on your phone and jot down things along the way that worked and things you would do differently next time. We did this both times and it was great for later. Like, ok next time pack this in a more accessible place, next time let’s have packing cubes, next time more camping chairs instead of just a blanket to sit, next time a better air mattress, next time this campsite next door three down from ours looks way bigger and being closer to the bathrooms would actually be good, etc etc. Whatever your discoveries are!

2) The goal is family time together. That might not look exactly like YOU envisioned. You’re a more experienced parent, so you might already have a good grasp on this, haha. When we went camping, I had in mind what I already thought was pretty low expectations: one very short hike, two nights of campfire meals. Well, it rained. The firewood was too wet to light the second night. Instead of a late-afternoon hike, my kids played and wrestled and played house in the tent. I convinced my husband to eventually let go of trying to make the fire, and we made sandwiches instead of cooking hot dogs. The next morning, the kids played in the backseat while we packed in the drizzle, and we drove to the nearest diner for breakfast. It didn’t look like what I had pictured. But it was only actually MY attitude that had to change. My kids were having fun, and we achieved the goal!

3) We have long laughed that there are two kinds of fun: Type 1 Fun is fun when you’re having it and Type 2 Fun is not exactly enjoyable in the moment but makes for a great story/memory later. Camping CAN involve a lot of Type 2 fun haha. That’s ok. It’s still fun! You can indeed always decide to pack it in and go home, though.

4) No shoes in the tent, ever, if you can help it! Keeping the tent tidy like you’re all playing house helps keep me sane haha. Store all food in the car, not in the tent (at least overnight) to prevent critters from investigating.

5) if you make a campfire, make your fire safety plan clear to everyone from the get-go. My 3 year old was fine with being safe around it and and even cooking a marshmallow on a stick, but the 1.5 year old was definitely a liability haha. One parent was always on kid/fire watch.

6) We managed to get everyone to sleep and have time for a glass of wine around the camp fire. Save at least a log to burn after bedtime for yourselves and bring a corkscrew (or make sure it’s a twist top).

@katrina2017 Haha, it’s such a good framework for when you’re hunched under an umbrella over a smoldering campfire, protecting it and not really you from the pouring rain and praying the food you brought will be bare-minimum-acceptably cooked before the wet wind puts it out, everything around you turning to mud—that the littles are alternately complaining about and happily romping in. A decade later, everyone still smiles over, “Remember that time when….?” But now even in the moment itself, I can whisper, “Type 2 fun, type 2 fun,” to myself.

@janzee In the middle of a 4 night camping trip with my 5, 2, and 4mo. We love it. We do it every year and it does get easier the more you do it. My biggest tip is bringing sand toys like shovels and rakes and dump trucks. The whole campsite is like a giant sensory bin. Keeps my kids occupied for ages. The baby is currently rolling around in the PnP with his toys.

Have so much fun!

@janzee You are not crazy, you can do this! Our kids love camping. To make it easier on you, remember the kids will be dirty and it doesn't matter. You can bathe them when they come home. Clean hands for meals, clean hands, faces, and feet for bed, don't worry about the rest of them.
Pack and play for the 2 and 7mo so you can free hands while setting up and cooking. Enlist the older kids to help with chores or watch the littles.

When you get back write notes- make a spreadsheet of items that you used, forgot, took but were a waste of space etc. It will help you pack next time.

@janzee We’ve camped a few times with our kids in the same age range. It’s hectic but sooo much fun. The way I see it is - camping with children, like a lot of other “parenting in bulk” skills, is a muscle that can be built up. It gets easier the more you practice. The first time of anything is hard but you’re right - they’ll remember the best parts :) and it’s so much cheaper.

Have a blast!

@janzee You're a little crazy but in a strong way!

We camped with 8 kids in the Tetons, 30 degree weather at night. We put the baby in a tiny cradle tent inside the main tent, and the 2 year old in the pack n play. Maintaining sleep patterns for the Littles was the hardest because they were both out of their routine.

Bring extra warm clothes and blankets because camping can be unexpectedly cold at night. Make sure all your food prep is packed (French press, camp stove, cooler, condiments, salt pepper, camp utensils, plates if needed, water bottles, etc, etc). Make sure you have a rain cover for the tent and a deck of cards or other activity to play if it rains.

My wife and I can't ground sleep anymore so we bought camping cots off Amazon.

@csdkale Side note but can you share what camping cot you got? We've been camping a few times now with our four, and we're working on building up our inventory and are interested in getting a cot for us because yes ground sleeping is hard, literally lol

Back