C section aftercare: a warning

kellygok

ETA: Yo let me preface this with a note that my c-section was a beautiful experience and, until this moment, has not been terribly difficult to heal from in the last few days. Yes I’m sore but it’s like a “I just ran a couple miles for the first time in a year” sore. Bearable new work out pain is the best way I can describe it. I promise if you end up having a section and you remember to take your pain meds when you’re supposed to, all of the following can be avoided.

TLDR: Take your meds and you will be just fine. Also, accept any and all help so you can be as gentle with your body as you can as you recover.

Anyway, here is my tale:

Hello all. It is I, the village idiot.

Just a reminder that a c section is a MAJOR SURGERY. If you end up having one, and I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE YOUR TYLENOL AND IBUPROFEN EVERY SIX HOURS.

I was so absorbed in my baby, timing feedings, learning how to swaddle, figuring out latching etc. that I did not take time to make a note of how often I was given pain meds. I know the nurses came in every few hours to give me Tylenol and Motrin but I was too preoccupied with my little one to care much about that.

I was so excited to come home. Was fresh off of a dose of Tylenol when we left the hospital. Now we’ve been home for hours and we’ve gotten through a few feedings, some naps, getting showered and such, watching some Star Trek...

Suddenly I feel like I have been hit by a god damn train. I can’t stand. My guts feel like they’re about to fall out of me with each step. It took me a full five minutes to walk to the bathroom which is exactly 10 steps from where I was. I was given oxycodone in the event that I needed something to hold me over between doses of pain meds and I took that.

Good lord, you guys. SET an ALARM for those MEDS. DO NOT forget that you have a GIANT WOUND that is healing along with your whole body adjusting to having gone through giving birth.

Fuck.

EDIT: corrected spelling and drug time recommendation (jumbled my hours up because it is I, the village idiot).

@kellygok Add on: they usually prescribe a laxative or stool softener with oxy. TAKE THEM TOGETHER. Take it whether you think you need it or not, by the time you "know" you need it you will have hours if not days of terrible discomfort ahead of you. Take it as a preventative!

@lovinglife2016 Good god yes. I took colace, milk of magnesia and miralax all to make sure pooping was a breeze. I’d rather have super loose poops than try and engage my bum muscles at all right after. So much less painful!

@crownfair I want to add squatty potty to that list of essentials. The pregnancy constipation was hitting hard and my muscles didn’t seem to be working the way they used to. Enter -squatty potty- and my poops are a pain free episode instead of a 20 minute event.

@kellygok AMEN!!! And do not forget to rest AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!! Have other people do every single thing for as long as possible. Get up to pee and sleep and that’s about it. Your job is baby and to heal, period.

@kellygok I know that you're supposed to rest, but honestly walking is a lifesaver. You shouldn't lift anything heavier than baby, so I just had hubs set up the stroller and off we went. We walked through the parking lot and eventually around the block. It also helps a ton with the swollen balloon feet.

As long as you aren't doing too much, i.e. chores, activity is really good for you (they made me walk laps around the hospital floor I was on I think the next day or the day after that).

@coleson Walking helps so much with the gas! That was honestly maybe the most painful part. Nobody told me they would pump you with gas so they could perform the surgery.

@tonyt316 And then it's really weird when the dr asks if you've passed gas before discharging you. Its normal medical stuff, but just weird hearing someone ask if you've been passing toots lol

@coleson The main reason we ask about passing gas after Caesareans is that - as with any major abdominal surgery - your bowel is handled by the surgeons a bit, and hence can take a few days to start functioning again. So if you haven't opened your bowels before you leave the hospital we want to know that you're at least passing gas so we can feel comfortable that your bowels are beginning to work again :)

@coleson Oh absolutely! I believe both resting and being active where possible are definitely compatible. Just a matter of the balance with rest and activity as well as being careful with how you’re active. I shudder to think of where I’d be physically if I didn’t force myself to get up and about asap. Also, I’m the type to grin and bare it through pain so strongly enforcing the mindset of “girl you need to chill “ is the only thing standing between me and a hernia.

Do you have any tips on how to manage the swelling (in addition to mobility)? Right now I have straight up logs for legs and the puffiest feet I’ve ever seen.

@kellygok Compression socks, trying to keep them somewhat elevated, and walking. I think it took maybe up to a week before I felt like my feet were my feet again lol. I couldn't fit into my sneakers unless they were mostly untied for my babes and my dr appts that week. I wore the compression socks nearly the whole time because my feet just HURT. It's like they were sore from being stretched or something, it's hard to explain unless you've been there lol.

I am the grin and bare it type too, but I was so concerned about my guts spilling out that I took it easier than usual. Some days it was just getting up and taking the dog out. My walks were very slow at first, but it made my body feel better for sure.

@kellygok Yes! Take the meds!!!! Also the stool softeners!

I was on hydrocodone amd ibuprofen and opiods can stop you up bad. I won't get into it here but I ended up having to do things....bad things. Max dosage of allowed stool softeners for the whole time you are on the meds. Trust me. For the love of all things holy, trust me

Back