Best Carrier?

@xd005 I commented under a thread but I would try an ergo if you want easy, washable and back support.
I've used ring slings, stretchy wraps, woven wraps, Tula, Ergo, Beluga Baby, Boba X independent brands (think handmade) half buckles and mei teis.
My favourite overall is a Mei Tei. I find it very easy and quick to put on, and for me it's the most supportive on my back. I found that the Tula waistband was too thick and my baby didn't have a deep enough seat no matter what I did.

I've tried the ergo omni 360 and og. Of the two I'd suggest 360/breeze for summer since it doesn't need an infant insert. They have the hood in the front pocket. Took us awhile to notice 😂

See if any of the stores near you will let you try it on, with or without baby. If not, you might have a lending library near you that you can try out a carrier.

Tbh, I wouldn't get the artipoppe. It's just an expensive name when there are tons of other options that are probably better carriers anyway.

@katmack Thank you for this! I am definitely going to look into Meh Tais. Do you have a brand you like? Also, do you think the Ergo omni breeze is pretty cushy/comfortable for you and baby and also very supportive? As in be able to carry for a long walk without your back dying?

@xd005 Ergo-yes, it's supportive enough for long walks. My baby is 22lbs at 6 months old lol and both my husband and I are comfortable with it! He naps for 1-1.5hrs in a carrier and we're good! It is cushy, we've put him in it with just a diaper and he's been totally fine. Just make sure you have the proper M positioning of the legs, have baby's bum lower than the knees and they should be comfy! I even nurse in carriers 🤷‍♀️

The mei tai I'm using is from Mum's Joy, it's borrowed from a lending library and tbh I'm searching for one for long term! There are many companies out there (but lots are out of my price range).
Hope and Plum, Chimparoo, Didymos (DidyKlick is a half buckle so it's easier or DidyTai), Lenny Lamb (WrapTai), Love and Carry etc etc 😂

@xd005 I absolutely hate all the ergo carriers (tried the adapt, original, 360 and Omni breeze…) and I didn’t like Lillebaby but really love my Tula so it shows how different people are! What Tula do you have? If you like the way Tula feels but baby isn’t happy, you could try the explore if you have the FTG or original since it has more padding in the leg area.

@xd005 I have a funky/unhappy back so I have to wear my carrier fully on my hips, like in my hip notch/9?34 my pelvic bone. For the Lillebaby, the wide waist band hit my thighs when I had it comfortable on my back. For the ergo babys, regardless of adjustment and position wearing them, they all made my back ache really really quickly.

FYI Tula does make a lumbar support, or you can use one from like the Lillebaby or boba as well.

@crownfair Gotcha, I feel for you! My back has been murder since I gave birth! I cannot handle a lot of time in my Tula for that reason. I might look into that lumbar support!

@xd005 I would look into Naked Panda Duo3 in mer or silk material. Mer is waterproof and light weight. Duo3 will last for longer but the duo2 would likely be a better fit tour now.
My LO is practically weightless when I use my Naked Panda. I’ve also used a Tula and Happy Baby (alone with woven wraps and ring slings). NP is definitely my favorite SSC.

@tay796 Thank you! I had never heard of this brand and it looks awesome! Which material do you have? Does it have any cush or stretch? Breathable? How easy is it to out on? How’s the support? Can you wear it for long stretches/walks?

@xd005 I have both mer and silk. The waist band is super cushy and worn not apron style. When you first get it, the amount of adjustable straps is intimidating but once you adjust them once to your fit I only need to adjust one set each time (the ones by the legs).

Super supportive, the straps are SO cushy. The mer material has slightly more stretch because it’s made of board short material. The silk is very lightweight and breathable, but requires hand washing. One other thing to note since mer is water proof it does not come with a hood for safety reasons. There is a big used market but I would recommend buying new if you can. I’ve bought two used, one was amazing and still had a ton of life left in the straps, the other since it had been used so much more is just not as squishy and supportive anymore.

Edit: I’ve worn it for hours at a time because for a while my LO was only contact napping. He’s 6 months now and approximately 16 pounds as well.

@xd005 I don’t have advice but I’m following because my 7.5 month old also hates our Tula!!!! I thought maybe I was doing something wrong but I’ve done so many fit checks and she still despises it.

Have you looked at the ring slings? I tried them briefly when my LO was a newborn but haven’t again. I know they have a steeper learning curve but are washable, breathable, and supposed to be very easy once you learn them.

@hatty I tried the ring sling when my baby was tiny and failed miserably.

But ever since after 4m, it’s been awesome! It’s my go to for lots of things, but it’s not super ergonomic for me. I always keep one in the bottom of the stroller in case he gets fussy.

@xd005 I recommend the WildBird Aerial, which is the unicorn I finally found, especially as a woman under 5'4" (specifically 5'2")! The only general disadvantage is that converting to and from back carry mode is a bit of a hassle, but I believe it is well worth that issue, and you could technically buy a second one to set permanently in back carry mode while you keep the first in front carry mode.

I am planning to write a long review to post online when I have the chance, but for now here is my short verdict on the WildBird Aerial (in Sparrow XS-XL):

It is fantastic for long front carries, especially for me as a petite woman who has found other carriers problematic. The well-fitted, soft, thick waistband truly sits at my natural waist and distributes the baby’s weight excellently, while being at the right distance from the shoulder straps. The shoulder straps are meant to only be crossed for front carrying—instead of merely being supposedly capable of being crossed for front carrying, as in other carriers—so they mold to my particular shoulders and back and fall where they should. And it fits so incredibly well that I can easily wash dishes while wearing my baby on my front!

The Aerial is very good for short front carries. Compared to a more typical soft structured carrier with H-straps rather than crossed straps, the Aerial takes some seconds longer to put the baby in and to take the baby out. But I believe the far superior support and comfort of the Aerial more than justify the negligible sacrifice in time.

After trying the LILLÉbaby Complete All Seasons and the Happy Baby Original, this is the only soft structured carrier I have found comfortable for back carries, largely because of the waistband and straps going in the right places. However, converting to back carry mode takes enough time and hassle that I believe that if you decide you like the back carrying, it would be logical, if financially feasible to buy a second Aerial, and keep one Aerial in front carry mode while you keep the other in back carry mode. In our case it looks like I am going to just use the Aerial in front carry mode and look for a different carrier to serve for back carries. The reason is that I only need or want back carries for cooking and cleaning, and our kitchen is very narrow, so since my baby’s arms are freer in the Aerial than in any other carrier because the Aerial’s fabric is very low profile on the baby (a feature I generally love), he can grab too many things in our kitchen when he is on my back. I hope that one day we will live somewhere with a bigger kitchen, in which case I would be thrilled to have hopefully a second Aerial in back carry mode.

I hope this summary helps! If you have any questions, just let me know!

@kamalb Thank you so much for taking the time to add all the detail! This is exactly what I wanted to know all about. Can you tell me more about why it is difficult to change from front to back carry configuration? And how long does it take? I agree that if all other criteria are met, it would be worth it if it takes long to get in and out or to put in back carry mode. Can you tell me more about the fabric? Does it have any give or stretch? Pretty soft?

Back