Baby wearing outdoors in the winter?

aishaaa

Can everyone give their advice for carrying in a cold climate? (Below 30 F). I was a daily winter walker before I had my baby and am hoping to continue with her in tow.

I primarily use an ergo for my longer walks, and bought the all weather carrier. It seems that her body stays warm, maybe I just need to buy some extra toasty mittens and socks?

And what about my own comfort and warmth when I won’t be able to zip my parka? Do you buy a second coat in a much larger size to wrap around the carrier?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

@queenvictoria93 I have this and used it with my first. I liked it because you can basically dress the baby however you are dressed and you know they aren't cold because they are right against you.

@queenvictoria93 I have this one! I haven't used it yet for babywearing, but I used it when I was pregnant last winter in Quebec (so it was very cold, it was a good test hihi). The removable fleece lining did a good job to keep me warm!

@aishaaa This is the answer! I would front carry with a baby friendly coat all of winter. Mine is a down coat from Seraphine. Comes with kangaroo panel for carrying baby and extendable panels for pregnancy.

@aishaaa If you walk a lot, a babywearing jacket is great. Would highly recommend. So much easier to get baby on and then just throw a coat over both of you, rather than fussing with little mittens, etc.

My first was born in Chicago, and we walked the dog every day, even when it was really cold. If baby is against you and sharing your body heat, it’s not hard to keep them warm enough.

@ladycherise63 I have a lovely seraphine coat that’s lasted me several winters and babies. I also have a lighter fleece jacket that allows back wearing from Suse’s Kinder (bought on Amazon).

@reebern I also got the coldest seraphine coat for Northern Ontario Canada. I walked with both my kids in -20 C/-4 F no problem. They were nice and toasty.

@reebern Which seraphine one was it for Chicago? I know they have levels of coldness listed on the site, I’m in Chicago lol and wanna make sure I get the right one

Also how old was your LO the winter you baby wore? Mine is 7 months right now

@twinsxtwo I don’t think they sell it anymore. It was a wool coat with a fuzzy liner that could be removed. I wore it a lot my daughter’s first year (5 months to 8 months or so) and some her second year (17 months to 20 months).

The seraphine coats are beautiful quality and I’m looking forward to wearing this winter with my newest baby. But given that your baby is getting to be big enough to back wear, I might consider an angel wings or similar.

@reebern Thank you! I’m definitely going to get one of the seraphine ones they look nice! Also what baby carrier did you use? I use infantino, graco cradle me, and a ring sling but trying to determine what would be best with a coat in winter

@aishaaa Either some sort of jacket for baby-wearing or a universal cover. I have a cover for my carrier. It’s waterproof and fleece lined with a hood and a fleece lined pocket. I got mine on Amazon.

@aishaaa I bought an XL men's winter coat, specifically CAMEL CROWN Men's Mountain Snow Waterproof Ski Jacket. I can zip it over me and baby in the ergo. I kinda wish I had bought an XXL tho to cover my butt better when walking (I'm normally a women's L) I have something similar to what the other commenter linked, but honestly prefer just zipping my coat over us vs dealing with making sure there's no air gaps between the baby carrier blanket thing and my jacket.

Back