Are any of y’all considering moving out of the country?

@praiseyahweh4ever Yes, but not until after kids. I live in Australia and am lucky to have good healthcare/general safety but don’t see myself living here beyond my 40s (I’m 22 now for context lol thinking long term) would love to move to New Zealand or Eastern Europe but need to travel more first to see what I like

@praiseyahweh4ever Great idea, I would recommend an Airbnb if possible to make it feel more homely and try cook your own meals a few times/go grocery shopping to get an idea of what it would be like

@cbonn103 Yeah it’s honestly the same here in Aus in certain parts - everyone is feeling it for sure. Fingers crossed 20 years from now it’s on the up or Eastern Europe it is haha

@praiseyahweh4ever I don't know much about DR or Argentina politically, aside from traveling (which I would not want to live) but Norway, Sweden and Denmark seem to be the type of countries the US should mirror in regards to social/health programs.

Granted the grass is always greener...

@stuka Yeah I’m just worried about all the school shootings, especially since I not only grew up doing drills, we had a few active shooter situations. Luckily nobody got hurt but I don’t want to risk that.

@praiseyahweh4ever As long as you've traveled to DR and Argentina, and done your research, there's nothing wrong with wanting to provide a better life for your future kids.

I'm not sure which state you're in, but you can move to a safer state as well. It might be easier than moving to another country.

@stuka I’ve been to Argentina before, but not the DR. We have a large family in both countries.

The added benefit of living in either countries is that my kids get to grow up with one of my parents culture and their family.

My bf is French/Italian but didn’t grow up with that parent, so they don’t feel connected nor do they seem interested in reconnecting with their culture. Otherwise I would also add Italy and France to the list.

@stuka I’ve been in Argentina before for 6 weeks, I loved it there. The economy is unstable though. I would love the visit the DR and the plan was to go this summer but it seems that plan has changed

@praiseyahweh4ever When I visited DR, it was very poor. It was a big culture shock since I imagined it to be beaches and turquoise waters and palms trees. They had all those, but the poverty was super high.

A week after we left, they got hit with a hurricane. So not country will be 100% safe. I mean, Italy just elected an openly fascist prime minister, who fancies Benito Mussolini...

@stuka My family have been in the DR since the Taínos. We come from Taínos (and the Spaniards) to be exact. So we own a bit of land that we live and farm on in a more rural village. But my grandfather has no trouble feeding 10 people everyday, and still has lots of money. He sells his produce to the US.

@stuka We do have a pretty good system (both social and health) in Denmark, although our healthcare is under pressure. But I don't know if it's possible to scale it up to a country of US size?

@stuka The grass is greener in Scandinavia/Most of Europe - sorry not sorry.

You don't have to worry about being shot or murdered going to the mall/cinema/whatever

Salaries are high

Healthcare is free/dirt cheap

No fear if school shootings

Free kindergarden/cheap kindergarten

Better healthier food that taste better

No tornados /massive hurricanes

4-6 weeks legal vacation every year that HR is pushing you to take out and it's PAID

If you're sick - you still get PAID

Diverse nature depending on what country you choose

In Germany we go around naked mixed gender in saunas, pools and by the beach and there's no rape because of it!

Sidewalks/bike friendly streets everywhere = your children don't need a car to get somewhere

FREE COLLEGE EDUCATION

1-1,5 years PAID maternity leave

Here we don't carry and push or babies after 9 months just to have a funeral for them some years later. Brutally said.

@bws1989 What you said isn't totally accurate in regards to America.

You don't have to worry about being shot or murdered going to the mall/cinema/whatever

That's fair, but most Americans don't have the thought of going somewhere and getting shot.

Salaries are high

I know nothing about salaries in Europe, nor cost of living. But I'm sure it varies depending on the country.

Healthcare is free/dirt cheap

This is something the US needs to strive to make better, I work in a hospital and I agree, this is what we should focus on.

No fear if school shootings

You're right about this.

Free kindergarden/cheap kindergarten

To my knowledge, kindergarten is free in the US, as K-12 public education is free.

Better healthier food that taste better

This is completely subjective.

No tornados /massive hurricanes.

I guess this is somewhat true? However, anecdotally, my first time visiting Ireland, there's was a hurricane that killed 4 people.

4-6 weeks legal vacation every year that HR is pushing you to take out and it's PAID

The US has this too - the BLS reports 85% of all workers receive at least 10 days paid sick/vacation. Now it's not 4-6 weeks, but most jobs have paid sick/vacation

If you're sick - you still get PAID

Addressed above.

Diverse nature depending on what country you choose

The US has diverse climates, depending on the state.

In Germany we go around naked mixed gender in saunas, pools and by the beach and there's no rape because of it!

Germany still has rape.

Sidewalks/bike friendly streets everywhere = your children don't need a car to get somewhere

That's fair, but the US is also a significantly large country.

FREE COLLEGE EDUCATION

This is available in the US. But I agree, college is way to expensive here in the states.

1-1,5 years PAID maternity leave

This is also fair, the US has abysmal maternity care/leave.

Here we don't carry and push or babies after 9 months just to have a funeral for them some years later. Brutally said.

I get what you're trying to say, but Europe still has funerals for children.