Apps say belly might start to feel firm (9W), but doesn’t with the extra fluff

onlyway019

Plus sized friends who are beyond 9W: when does your tummy start to feel firm? Here is what my app says this week: “Whether or not you’re starting to show off a baby bump just yet, you’ll probably notice that your lower abdomen is a bit firmer than usual”

I was pregnant 4 years ago and 1) didn’t have as much fluff then as I was 50lbs lighter and 2) honestly, don’t remember exactly when I felt the tummy firmness.

@onlyway019 I feel like I was somewhere between 12-16 weeks when the top half of my belly started to firm. The lower belly is still a little squishy (33wks)

@onlyway019 I'm 25 weeks and only in the past two or three did I really feel firm, and I'm completely squishy when I sit. Only firm when standing. I also just suddenly started appearing pregnant rather than my normal fat this week or so.

For reference, pre-pregnancy weight was 264, and I'm now 271, only having gained weight in the past 3 weeks.

@onlyway019 I’m 8w5d and my belly felt just like bloaty hard to suck in. Wouldn’t say it felt hard like I actually have a bump - I just felt full like I ate a meal I can’t big salty meal.

@onlyway019 Tbh, I think even without extra weight, until 12w it’s just bloat. For me, I noticed a significant rounding out of my belly at 17w. My wife noticed that I was standing in a very “pregnant” way at a store lol

@onlyway019 the top half of my belly is almost rock hard since about 19 weeks. the bottom is still soft and probably will be most of the time because of my weight

@onlyway019 Oh it happens. Mine was right around 10-12 weeks. I noticed it in the upper abdomen first and not really in my lower belly (fluff part). Now that I’m 29 weeks, I’m noticing it in the lower as well.

@onlyway019 I think your app is mistaken either way. 9W is really early, the uterus hasn't even gotten big enough to emerge from the pelvic bone. I don't remember when my belly got firm (currently 30wk), but I could palpate my uterus by ~13 weeks for so while laying on my back.

@onlyway019 I really noticed it around 14 weeks, but even then only when I was standing up (otherwise my belly fat tended to sit on top of it so it was harder to feel my uterus)

@onlyway019 37 weeks currently, I am 5’5 330 with an apron belly and I feel like the top half of my tummy started to feel firm close to like 15-20 weeks. Now it’s hard as rock and my lower belly is still squishy.

Thank you all so much, this is really helpful. And, can I just say, what wonderful community this is! I’m so grateful someone posted this group over in r/pregnancy. I feel much more connected to and supported by the folks in here 🙏💛

@onlyway019 I’m 18w and my belly is still not firm except after a nice meal and never while sitting down. Just embrace whatever baby body you have throughout each stage! And take lots of photos to look back at :)

Back