Anyone else feel like it's a struggle to get baby out and about?

ajay003

I mean more so in a social aspect.

The virus that shall not be named (why can't we talk about it here??) is unfortunately still alive and thriving and I find I'm trying to balance this invisible line of "Do I take baby out to see the world? Or play it safe and keep him within these four walls even longer?"

For not being out much, he LOVES seeing people! He always smiles at others and is very interested in whatever it is someone is doing. A big people watcher lol. He'll furrow his little eye brows, deep in thought and you can just tell he's trying to warp his head around what he's seeing.

Why is that person doing that, with that thing?

Anyways, I was super looking forward to taking him to a puppet show at the local library. Age group is 0 months to 2 years, he's 9 months so it would perfect for him. I know seeing puppets would probably blow his little baby mind haha.

But 😞

"The virus that shall not be named", seems to be back. Where I live, it always makes a come back during the typical flu season, so Fall to late winter.

I would feel like the worst mom ever if he got sick and with the current Tylenol shortage.. I mean, heck...

I also feel bad that he hasn't been able to enjoy the outside world in a normal, carefree way and I worry about how it'll impact his development with basically only ever seeing either me (mom) or Daddy.

😮‍💨 that's all, it just kinda sucks.

P.S thank you for all of your responses 😄 it's nice to know that I'm not alone in my worries! I think we'll still go to that awesome puppet show, just with some precautions in mind.

@ajay003 Ontario, Canada resident here. Ontario sort of took COVID seriously, but my baby was born at the end of April and by then most people had given up and taken the “We’re all gonna get it so may as well stop trying” approach. I have a close friend with long COVID who recently stopped being able to eat tomatoes because they taste rotten, and my MIL had a COVID-related stroke and is now bedridden, so I am still taking it seriously.

I do recognize that having my baby exclusively indoors is also not good for her, so I have taken the following approach. I waited until she got at least her 2 month shots (because there’s no point in adding fuel to the fire with other illnesses) before going to places that weren’t family. After 2 months we went swimming (wide open space, less likely to be up in someone’s face, easy to swim away from close talkers, etc.), library programs (typically in big rooms and not usually full), parks (outside), and shopping (I mask up, but it’s not like people are, thankfully, shoving their face into her car seat).

Once she hits 6 months, she’ll be old enough to actually do things, so we’ll be attending playgroups, music groups, and play dates. We’re not gonna be idiots about it, so if I ever feel sick we won’t go out, etc. At 6 months she’ll also be eligible for the COVID shot here, so with our doc’s recommendation we’ll be getting her that. Obviously this won’t prevent her from getting it, but it’s a nice added barrier.

Then, when she goes to daycare all bets are off because it’ll be a Petrie dish there, but she’ll be at least a year old then and have her shots, so I’ll be less concerned.

Yes, COVID is here to stay, yes, we can’t stay inside all the time, but I’m not going to go out of my way to be reckless about it. It sucks. It sucks hard, but I do think there exists a balance for parents who have these struggles.

@armouryellow Hey, also Ontario here and my boy was born at the beginning of April. Did your doctor say how long (if any amount of time) to wait between regular 6 month vaccinations and the covid shot?

@eliwu No. That was going to be my next question to her, but we had to reschedule my daughter’s 4 month shots due to a scheduling error and my doc was on vacation for those, so we just saw the nurse at that appointment.

@armouryellow We were recommended 2 weeks just incase there was a reaction you would know what caused it. However a friend of ours took her baby the same day as their 6 month shots.

@ajay003 Are you me? Feel like I could have written this myself. This year I feel like I’m being forced to do a family thanksgiving with my unvaccinated niece and nephew because everyone where I live just DGAF any more about the virus and I’m just sitting over here in my N95 and wondering how people can be so passive about such a potentially deadly or debilitating illness whose long-term impact we know not of.

@blessed2oo I’m so glad I’m not the only Momma infuriated by everyone just acting all “la de da” and carefree like this isn’t still happening. My husband is one of those. I fell pregnant by accident (I’m almost 40 with severe endo and 8 years of ttc prior to this baby, shouldn’t have fallen pregnant) otherwise I wouldn’t have had a child with him due to his conspiracy theories around covid and the vaccine. I will be getting baby vaccine as soon as I can without him knowing and I do not even feel bad. Southern US here and it’s worse here than many places due to a more lack of education. I’m suffering with horrible PPd right now because of the differences in parenting styles between us and about to start therapy. I’m praying this helps.

@nicky_uk That sounds so rough, I'm so sorry for what you're having to go through 🫂 PPD/PPA is no joke.

It sounds lame but it gets better with time and I'm so happy that you have access to a therapist.

Me and another friend who have babies close in age, about 2 months difference, feel like the few who have chosen to get all of our vaccines, including those for baby. She told me how nice it was to have a friend that understands the importance of them! 😅

Even all the medical staff I spoke to and my obgyn were...oddly, very happy that I got my vaccines. Like, smiles from ear to ear. I thought getting them would be more common place but I guess not 😞

@blessed2oo We aren’t doing Thanksgiving this year. No matter how many guilt trips family throws at us. We have too many unvaccinated family members who think the virus is a hoax, and could use the day anyway.

I also hate the holiday and find it stressful. So I think it’s gonna be just us three until she’s bigger.

@blessed2oo I can second this for sure! I'm in the States. Baby born middle of May 2 mo the premature. We are taking it VERY seriously. And especially now with flu and RSV season upon us. Anyone who comes over (mostly just family) must wrsr a mask at all times and can o ly hold baby if they are up to date with their shots. We spoke with our pediatrician on when we can get more lax with masks as she too will be headed to day care around her 1st birthday, but she was adamant that we hold off till after RSV season. Just not worth it and potentially end up in hospital. Stay strong and don't waiver. You do what's best for your baby. You are your baby's advocate! 💗

@ajay003 I totally get it! My girl is a very social baby too, she loves faces. I do feel a lot more comfortable taking my 6 month old out in public now that she's vaccinated. I really like taking her places outside (I also have dogs so we have to walk outside a bunch anyway). I'm sort of looking forward to the cooler weather too because I still have that postpartum sweat.

I also love taking my LO to the grocery store or the mall just to walk around! People don't usually get very close in those settings, but there are still lots of people around for her to stare at. Plus she loves riding around in the shopping trolley!

She starts daycare next week, so I expect she'll get sick a lot in the beginning! Especially because she hasn't been sick yet. But I am really glad we got her flu vaccine and her first COVID shot in before it started.

@dashunds7 We got our now 17 month old vaccinated as soon as the vaccines rolled out. We promised ourselves we would be more “normal” now that she had more protection and we have. It feels nice. We are still cautious and sometimes choosy of who/where/when we go but we are finally living life again.

My LO has been in daycare since she was 8 weeks* old and has been through so much. I wish your baby the best and just remember that all the sicknesses she gets will only build up her immunity.