Another kid at my step son’s school called him a Ching Chong, what would you do?

@jozymba I'm a man in my 30s and I would find someone firing back with "better than being a ding dong" so impressive. I'm going to bank that one away in case my kid ever gets the same treatment as OPs.

@enginseer Don’t forget to have bi-racial kids with the new wife and give them extra attention alienating the step son which will only make him hate Asians even more until he joins a far right militia and eventually fire bombs an abortion clinic.

The circle of life.

@thecabinetbarn The agree and amplify approach to bullying/name calling is often effective. Takes the spotlight away from the bully and shows that it is useless. Orrrr, the ol’ I Ching chonged your mom last night is also a classic.

@thecabinetbarn It's not the same thing, but my wife is German and our kids look very German. When I was in school, we had a classmate who had German heritage and looked very German, and was called a Nazi. A lot. I don't know what I'm going to do, but my oldest is starting kindergarten next year and I'm afraid he's going to experience the same kind of bullying.

Kids are just not nice sometimes, and I guess you can't control what other kids say or how they treat your kids, or how they are punished, but you can help your kids understand that there is nothing wrong with them, that they are perfect and that you love them.

@thecabinetbarn For an isolated incident it seems like the school is handling it fine, so I'd just be having a talk with my kid and make sure he's ok.

If it ends up being an ongoing thing, I'd be wanting to talk to the principal and the teachers involved about a plan to stop it.

@thecabinetbarn Speaking from a school administration perspective, I made it clear to any students that I worked with that racist and sexist comments were not tolerated and their behaviors would result in detentions/suspensions. If the behaviors continue to occur, my advice would be to contact school administration to see what else can be done. This could be counseling or other types of mediation.

As an new Asian American father, these types of issues worry me because I know what it's like. COVID and the geopolitical issues with China will only make things worse, in my opinion. I have vowed to have open conversations with my son and to try to instill a confidence in my son so that he can be more equipped to handle the eventual bigotry he will face.

OP, I hope things improve for your son. Feel free to dm me anytime and I will try to give some advice.

@thecabinetbarn Import context is what is the ages of the kid. Probably helps dictate advice given as what you’d say to a 6 year old, while likely lots in common, isn’t going to be the same you say to a 12 year old.

@thecabinetbarn Punch that kid.

Kidding. Everyone else had good advice about educating your kid and helping him process, so I figured I'd just make jokes.

I am concerned they are keeping the kid from the library. If he read more books, he might be a little less racist.

@thecabinetbarn Kids repeat behaviors that they see in their friends or parents. If that behavior isn't corrected properly then it can imprint on them.

I'm white and when I was a kid I was called cracker, white boy, white trash, or just "fuck you whitey". I've heard slurs against Hispanic kids, black kids, Asian kids, native American kids, and more. There seems to always be those types of kids that spread hate.

It sucks, but this is something that all kids need to learn to deal with. People are going to dislike you or mistreat you simply because of the way you look.

@thecabinetbarn The psychotic father in me would suggest you pull a page out of Liam Neeson’s Taken playbook and make him regret the day he was born, but that’s irrational me. The rational side of me says talk to you son about how he’s feeling and make sure he’s ok mentally then make sure school officials ensure that if this does happen again the kid is punished to the fullest extent possible. The world sucks and is unfair.