Another kid at my step son’s school called him a Ching Chong, what would you do?

@thecabinetbarn Been called Ching Chong, chink, Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, slanty, jap, and small dick every year of grade school starting from about 4th grade.

Frankly, there is no stopping it. It will keep happening to your kid even if this one kid is removed. Kids are racist and assholes (just hop onto any video game voice chat). The best you can do is support him and help him process the racism and understand it isn't about him.

@katrina2017 I have an Asian last name that sounds like a sound effect. Got made fun of most of elementary school and middle school but this was the 90s where schools didn’t really care about this kind of thing. There is no avoiding this sort of thing so it’s important to learn coping skills. Basically the other kid is a jerk but if you learn to not let it bother you it takes all the power out of the bullying.

@rodite I've got a Scandinavian last name that's difficult to say and if pronounced wrong can sound similar to a bodily function. I've heard all the variations of it. Kids are cruel but I got used to it.

Although I think my friend Richard Burns got it worse.

@rodite One of my Asian friends is literally named Bruce Lee. I can only imagine how many jokes he gets. I purposely tried to avoid pointing that out when i first met him