A/B Testing: My experience with Vaginal vs. Scheduled C Section

mzsky

I posted a thread asking for something like this when I discovered I would have to have a breech C-section for my 2nd baby when my first was a vaginal induction. Now that I've done both I would love to contrast/compare for you guys in case any of you are debating what to do or have to have a different birth the second time around. So here goes!

Disclaimer: I do NOT mind a "medical" birth. I had zero desire for an au naturel homebirth or anything like that. My vaginal birth was in a hospital, with an induction. So obviously that factors into how I feel about different things. Anyway, here goes.

Pain during procedure
  • Vaginal birth: Induction contractions are brutal. Technically my team offered me the epidural many times before I actually chose to use it (I didn't expect to opt out entirely, I just wanted to "see what labor was like" and eventually had my fill.) Before I got the epidural the pain was basically the worst period cramps of my life, but not enough to feel like screaming torture. Overall 6/10 in pain.
  • C section: Only pain experienced was during IV insertion and spinal (similar to vaginal birth.) Zero pain during actual procedure. 0/10 in pain.
Excitement factor
  • Vaginal birth: Despite being an induction it was pretty exciting! I slept for a lot of it, but when it was time to push it was a really magical and awesome moment (especially given that I had pain relief) and there were lots of happy tears. 9/10!
  • C section: Still magical to suddenly see a baby (I didn't even realize they had started cutting, so you can imagine my shock) but the baby was handed off to the medical team first and I didn't get to hold her right away and being in an OR felt a lot more clinical and less "Magical." Not as "fun" if you will. 6/10.
Immediate post-birth experience
  • Vaginal birth: Amazing. Got the "golden hour" and my husband and I both did skin to skin. It was easily the best moment of my entire life. Only downside was I lost a lot of blood and almost fainted, there was some anxiety about that. I tore pretty badly but didn't realize at this point because of the epidural. Overall 9/10
  • C section: This was maybe the biggest drawback of the C section. The meds they gave me made me vomit uncontrollably despite preemptively taking Zofran. I also suddenly fell asleep despite not being given any sedatives. I didn't really get the golden hour but my husband did. On the bright side, I was able to breastfeed immediately so the C section didn't impact that at all. 3/10
Recovery
  • Vaginal: Honestly, pretty bad, fast labor plus huge baby meant tons of tearing (Upward) and itchy stitches. I also had a prolapse that lasted for 18 months. It sucked. 2/10.
  • C section: Better than expected. First two days were brutal, but I was off pain meds and walking around feeling like myself within a week. My vagina is unscathed. I'm a little nervous about my incision (infection, re-opening etc) but I'm being told that's a rare outcome. Being fairly immobile for 2 days is overall worth it for an easier recovery overall. 7/10
Photos
  • Vaginal: Although I did get some good photos of my vaginal birth, I wasn't wearing makeup and I looked kinda crappy. 6/10
  • C section: Mine was scheduled so I showed up to the OR with face and hair on point. I look really cute in the photos. Yay! 9/10
Bonding with Baby
  • Vaginal: Bonded immediately, trouble with breastfeeding although that had nothing to do with the method of birth. 8/10
  • C section: Also bonded immediately, minus the hour when I was throwing up. Breastfeeding was a breeze. 8/10
Unexpected side effects
  • Vaginal: Other than the tearing (they told me I didn't tear because there was no tearing in the perineal area but I absolutely did tear) nothing took me by surprise immediately. The prolapse did, but that didn't become apparent till later so I'm not including that. 8/10
  • C section: idk if it was unexpected since I did read about these things ahead of time, but the gas pain and itching were brutal. 4/10
Time spent
  • Vaginal: From arrival at hospital, baby was out in 10 hours, 8/10
  • C-section: From arrival at hospital, baby was out in 3 hours 10/10
Risks to baby
  • Vaginal: There was a lot of anxiety about his heart rate dropping and I felt a decent amount of anxiety when pushing afraid that something would go wrong. Nothing did, but it was still scary. APGAR score of 9. 7/10
  • C section: With the amount of medical professionals in the room and the fact that there was no labor, I was pretty confident in baby's health although still a bit scared because I was told ahead of time the baby might not cry (although she did, right away.) APGAR 9, 9/10
Risks to Mom
  • Vaginal: I lost a ton of blood and tore, but after my blood pressure stabilized I felt pretty good and wasn't too worried about my own health. 8/10
  • C section: I knew theoretically there were more risks to me, but everything went smoothly. However I was plagued by worries about my incision for the first week, so that wasn't great. 6/10

@mzsky THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for sharing this amazing comparison!!! I had a vaginal induction (water broke, never went into labor naturally so they had to start induction after some amount of time due to risk of infection) and had a 3rd degree tear and prolapse that took almost 12 months pp to feel better. I'm only 9w with second pregnancy but already weighing vaginal vs scheduled c-section this time. My midwife and OB offers elective c-section to anyone with previous severe tearing. This was a huge help. Leaning towards scheduled c-section now. Ahh I'm sure I'll change my mind a million times between now and 39 weeks. Any other tips or advice would be appreciated! How was it taking care of a toddler and newborn during csection recovery?

@steve_yavli I had lots of help from my in laws and husband so it actually wasn’t hard BUT if it was just me, or just me and my husband, it would have been. I’m 11 days out and no longer need as much help!

@mzsky What all help did your in laws provide? Just trying to get an idea of what kind of care we’ll need post c-section if we go that route.

ETA— thank you so much for this post! It is incredibly helpful

@autumnstar Mostly cooking, cleaning and occupying our toddler! I did all the breastfeeding (I mean nobody else is able to lol) and my husband did most of the diapers.

@mzsky This is great thank you. I ended up with an emergency section with my first (no labour they caught baby in distress at a check up) and I'm now wanting another section with my second. Both times I felt dismissed by Drs for wanting a section them stating recovery is more difficult but I've always felt like they never give an unbiased view of how difficult vaginally birth can be too and the risks involved.

@mzsky I had a similar experience to yours. First vaginal birth, second was an “emergency” c-section (went in to get induced but baby was breech). I cried when I was told I was going to get a c-section because my MIL scarred me by saying that a c-section is such a hard recovery, and it’s so rough on the body, and all these awful things.

She couldn’t have been more wrong. It was nothing like she described. Recovery wasn’t bad, baby was fine, I was fine. I wasn’t even in pain after. I was prescribed pills for pain, but I was just taking ibuprofen since I didn’t feel the need to take strong meds if I wasn’t in agonizing pain.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t choose to get a c-section, but if it were necessary, I wouldn’t be upset either.

Shoutout to my OBGYN for doing such an amazing job at stitching me up- my pouch disappeared after two months.

@mzsky Thanks for this! I am considering an elective c-section if my doctor will allow because 1) it's scheduled so I can schedule around my due date of December 23rd and have my baby before my week long winter-break and 2) then I can take eight weeks paid leave versus six weeks paid (thank you, America. For what it's worth, I'm a public school teacher, so this is my lot in life.) This is making me lean more towards a C-section even though everyone I know has been trying to scare or shame me away...

@goldielocks I'd get two more paid weeks for a C-section regardless. An entire paycheck.

Ugh, I feel horrible even contemplating all of this... but I need to remind myself that the guilt here is with my employer, not me.

@anonymous8 You are correct! The guilt should be worn your employee and not you. If the tables were flipped, admin would do what works best for their interest, and so should you. 💛

Back