4 month regression? Almost 17 weeks and now refuses bassinet. Unsafe sleep situation last night.

@sweetkf Agree with others they probably need more sleep… you mentioned you cap a 2hr nap, so sounds like they’d like more sleep?

I had to start using an app to help understand exactly how much mine was getting. I’ve managed over a few weeks to increase from 11/12 to 15 hours sleep. I just have to carrier nap in the day and I do let him sleep 3 hours straight sometimes before 4pm but he’s only 10 weeks

@sweetkf Increase your wake times a bit and then sleep train at the start of the night. Absolutely drop to 4 naps, 5 naps is newborn territory

If he won’t fall asleep with nursing and rocking he is way under tired and needs more sleep pressure

He’s not too young for Ferber. 4 months is a very common time to sleep train .. I did it on my son’s 4 month birthday.

If you go to the PLS Facebook page (great resource) people are applying SLIP at much younger ages than suggested in the book and the author is very active in that group

@sweetkf I feel like your post was written by me 4 months ago, so I'm going to share my experience.

We resorted to co-sleeping. I have a love/hate relationship with that choice. I loved the baby snuggles and how close I felt with my son - initially. But then it quickly became that I was the only one who could settle him AND he couldn't fall asleep anywhere but in our bed. Quite honestly it turned into an unsafe sleep environment very quickly. Because we let it go for so long, we've had to resort to CIO. I hate it and never thought I'd be this parent, but it's honestly the only thing that has worked.

Another horrible downside to co-sleeping that I never see mentioned; now I can't sleep without him beside me. My son has been blissfully asleep for hours and I'm scrolling Reddit to prevent myself from standing over him wanting a snuggle. My anxiety is horrible either way, and ultimately I regret co-sleeping because I think we both regressed during it.

If you had a routine that worked for you before, my advice is to stick to it. If you have to scroll on your phone or set alarms so you don't fall asleep, try it.

Best of luck to you, I hope your experience goes better than ours!

@onthewingsofeagles Ohh thank you for sharing your experience!! I have been way too anxious to co sleep but now that he’s bigger it’s tempting. I love the night snuggles but I also want to be able to sleep with my husband again someday.. and I don’t have a safe setup for it either. You sound like you’re regretting the decision to do it. But also sounds like it was somewhat necessary at the time… if it makes you feel any better one of my mom friends said she regretted NOT co-sleeping with her first baby so you’re damned either way I guess. And omg a mom sleep regression?? First I’ve heard of that but makes total sense!

@sweetkf The starter wake windows for a 3 nap schedule is 1.5/1.75/2.25/2.5. Youre basically there but adding 2 more wake windows. Have you tried extending the wake windows? Even if it was 4 30 min naps thats fine but you said sometimes you get a 2 hr nap. I think youre adding a wake window instead of bedtime and he’s getting overtired.

Back