4 month regression? Almost 17 weeks and now refuses bassinet. Unsafe sleep situation last night.

@sweetkf Just a week or two before her 5m birthday I think 🤔 my memory of that month isn't very good though, I wasn't sleeping much and my husband had just started school, our schedule was crazy. We didn't see the full benefits of our sleep training efforts until a month later when we moved her into her own room. Turned out we were waking her up in the night a lot with snoring or getting up to use the bathroom ourselves.

@londonleah Haha I don’t let my snoring husband sleep in the same room as us! Between his snoring and my bladder nobody would be getting any sleep. I definitely have woken him as I get in and out of bed..

@sweetkf Ah okay. My 3mo was acting like this when it was time to drop her 5th nap. It lasted about 9 days and I did everything I could to extend those naps so that we could drop to 4. My ass was SO sore from sitting in that damn rocker for hours, but it worked! She was around 7am and we get her down around 8pm, with a 4 nap schedule. We are working on independent sleep again.

@sweetkf My baby has always woken up on transfer which forced us to work on independent sleep really early on. Something that worked well for us was giving her a lot of opportunities for independent sleep- we'd put her down in her bassinet/crib like 5-10 min before the end of her wake window awake but calm/relaxed/happy and give her like 15 min to try and fall asleep on her own, with no rocking or paci or patting or parent in the room at all. We'd let her fuss a bit but would pick her up and calm her down if she was melting down/screaming. If she melted down or was like 15-20 min in and starting to become overtired we would abort to contact nap, but she gradually started falling asleep on her own more and more often: early on she would only fall asleep on her own like 20-30% of the time, but gradually that increased to the point where she essentially never needs to contact nap.

I think if he's screaming and really fighting sleep he maybe needs to go down for naps a bit earlier, we had the best luck when putting her down when she's still in a good mood. Sometimes we have overshot on the early side and she'd be in her crib babbling to herself for like 20 min; if she wasn't acting grumpy or overtired we would just let her hang out.

@sweetkf My LO fought naps and had a terrible time going to sleep and staying asleep till we bought the Taking Cara Babies first 5 months bundle at around 3 months and started following that. We’re now putting him down awake in his crib around 8, dream feeding at around 10 and then sleeping till around 630-7. Naps are1-2 hours. He’s 5 months today and if he had a 4 month regression we’d didn’t notice bc of the work we did from Cara’s class. It’s not CIO, teaches you to separate feeding from sleeping, recognize sleepy cues and wake windows, and calm them down almost instantly.

We transitioned from daytime naps in the bassinet around 3 months and only had him in the bassinet at night. He started rolling a few weeks ago so now he’s in his room in his crib for all sleep and everyone is sleeping better. Before, he would wake my husband up with his noises and my husband would wake him up with his snoring.

15/10 would recommend her to literally anyone. My husband and I joke that they shouldn’t let you leave the hospital without telling you about Cara.

@bmazodze Also want to second TCB!!! (Taking Cara babies) we did this with our LO. She’s 4.5 months and an amazing sleeper. Bedtime at 7 am. Night feed at 10 pm sleeps till 7 am. Well worth it. It’s not CIO at all and it really helped my confidence too.

@sweetkf Omg definitely not, well at least not the newborn class. Newborn class is based on Dr. Harvey Karp’s book “The Happiest Baby on the Block” and her own experience as a mom/ nurse. My mom bought me the book when we had him but I couldn’t get past the first few pages in my sleep deprived new mom state. Guy is legit, he invented the Snoo too. Cara made it easy and is my savior and idk where I’d be without her.

We haven’t felt like we needed the next class yet, I believe she discusses Ferber in it though.

ETA:
We noticed a difference almost immediately after we started using Cara’s methods but it took a few weeks to really get him and us into the routine.

I haven’t done a lot of research on it, but our pediatrician said not to attempt to do any formal sleep training (Ferber/cio) until about 6 months because they’re not developmentally ready.

@bmazodze The Happiest Baby on the Block and The Happiest Toddler on the Block 2-Book Bundle by Harvey Karp, M.D.

Attention parents and grandparents, nurses and nannies: If the child in your life is under five, this convenient eBook bundle is for you. From respected pediatrician and child development expert Dr. Harvey Karp, national bestsellers The Happiest Baby on the Block and The Happiest Toddler on the Block will help you calm a crying baby, survive the “Terrible Twos,” and much more, resulting in more loving time for you and your child. THE HAPPIEST BABY ON THE BLOCK The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer “The best way I’ve ever seen to help crying babies.”—Steven P. Shelov, M.D., editor in chief, American Academy of Pediatrics’ Caring for Your Baby and Young Child With Dr. Karp’s sensible advice, you will be able to soothe even the fussiest infants and increase their sleep. His highly successful method is based on four revolutionary concepts: The Fourth Trimester (re-creating the womblike atmosphere your newborn still yearns for), The Calming Reflex (an “off switch” all babies are born with), The 5 S’s (five easy methods to turn on the calming reflex), and The Cuddle Cure (combining the 5 S’s to calm even colicky babies).

THE HAPPIEST TODDLER ON THE BLOCK How to Eliminate Tantrums and Raise a Patient, Respectful, and Cooperative One- to Four-Year-Old “An informative and engaging romp about toddlers. Roll over, Dr. Spock.”—The New York Times Dr. Karp provides fast solutions for molding toddler behavior by combining his trademark tools of Toddler-ese and the Fast-Food Rule with a highly effective new green light/yellow light/red light method. As you learn how to boost your child’s good (green light) behavior, curb his annoying (yellow light) behavior, and immediately stop his unacceptable (red light) behavior, you will be able to alleviate stormy outbursts with amazing success—and better yet, prevent these tantrums before they begin.

I'm a bot, built by your friendly reddit developers at /r/ProgrammingPals. Reply to any comment with /@lisamarielillypop - I'll reply with book information. Remove me from replies here. If I have made a mistake, accept my apology.

@sweetkf Around 4 months my kid started sleeping terribly in his bassinet, we moved him to his crib in the nursery and he started sleeping much better, he just needed some more room since he moves around when he sleeps. Also we weren't waking up constantly with every nocturnal grumble he'd make. We started sleep training a few weeks after that as well and he took to it well enough.

@panday Literally same!! She went from sleeping through the night to waking up every hour in her bassinet. We moved her into the pack and play and she’s back to sleeping through the night. She now likes to roll on her tummy and her side while she sleeps so she just needed more room to sleep how she would like.
We also have a similar day schedule to OP except mornings start at 8 AM (especially with a 9 pm bedtime) and that has worked really well for everyone

Back