3-6 months - What’s next?

@benvi85 If your baby is anything like ours, get ready for the terrors of teething at 6 months.

Usually our girl is a great sleeper and will sleep 6:30pm-7:30am but in the last two weeks she has been waking up every 2-3 hours from teething pains and she usually goes right down after her last feeding after bath time but it has been much harder to get her to go down.

@benvi85 I have a six month old as well and you can not only feel it, but you can see it too. Usually we’ll just give her one of those little pacifier-like things that we can fill with what we want. I think they’re called fruit soothers or something like that and it’s calms her down.

@benvi85 Yes what Rachel said, you can feel the teeth if you touch their gums. I felt them before I saw them when I was rubbing teething gel on her gums one day. She was also showing other signs of teething too (pulling at her ears, increase in temperature, refusing a bottle). It’s been a battle but luckily little one is doing much better now, and as tough as it was it was worth every ounce of sleep deprivation to see those cute little teeth of hers now!

@benvi85 It doesn’t always get easier but it does always get different.

More personality, more preferences, more giggles, less easy sleep (for us, ymmv), more having fun doing stuff as baby becomes less potato and more baby who participates.

Edit: there is still chaos aplenty.

@benvi85 Yeah I’m currently with my 7 week old second baby. I don’t want to wish the fourth trimester away because we’re two and through so it’s my last time with it. But damn, I can’t wait for more baby and less potato. Toddlers are when the real fun begins! There is still chaos throughout.

@hawleyray With our second 9 week old and saaame. When she's showing I'm sad that the newborn stage is rapidly leaving but when she's awake and screaming in pretty excited to see more personality than anger 😅

@benvi85 LOL RIGHT?! I feel like everyone is “oh newborn phase is hard, but…” no. I was not prepared. lol This shit it HARD & exhausting beyond my wildest dreams lol.

@charlie89 My first was the easiest newborn and so much more difficult once he was mobile, but his little brother (almost 4 months old) has been colicky and really difficult as a baby, hes just starting to get a bit easier and hopefully it will continue. Each baby is SO different. I'm giving up on trying to predict anything 🥴

@benvi85 So many changes with sleep and eating. We fell into a more predictable schedule around 4 months (coinciding with the infamous 4 month sleep regression - you will survive!!). They really start to notice things and play with toys and people. My baby became absolutely fascinated with crinkle books and his toes!

@benvi85 It’s honestly so good watching their skills develop at each life stage.
My kid is 16m and she helps take rubbish out, helps unload the dishwasher, puts groceries away etc

@benvi85 I loved 3-6 months! Her overnight sleep got better, she learned to crawl, naps started lengthening sporadically around 4 months old, no daycare viruses as she hadn’t started. 8-9 months has kicked my butt and we haven’t even had teething yet! But I’m sure I’ll look back and think some part of this stage was easy haha

@benvi85 My LO will be 5 months this Saturday and he has already made so many changes since 3 months! He can roll from his back to his belly. We went from blowing spit bubble sounds, the shrieking to babbling, all within like 3 weeks lol. He has started grabbing at things. And tries to pet the dogs and cat now 🥹 He wants to be entertained more, but can also entertain himself more if that makes sense. We was sleeping through the night but last few weeks he hasn’t been- that may be due to dads snoring though 🤦‍♀️

@benvi85 Baby proof things early. I swear one day my baby couldn’t do much and the next she could do it all. We’re 8months and she can sit up on her own from laying down, crawl, get into EVERYTHING, pull up on everything to stand and walk a few steps with help. It started around 6 months and I’m STILL finding things I didn’t know I needed to baby proof lol. But it’s so fun. I love playing with her and giving her toys and listen to her talk. I miss the calm snuggly newborn phase but this is sooo fun.

@benvi85 It’s such a fun period that is coming to a close as my lo approaches her six months.

She is forever in a “trying to sit up” position. She wants to be carried or engaged in an activity —never wants to be laying down.

My lo became so vocal, coos turned into joyful screaming at all hours.

She naps every three hours instead of two. She doesn’t like daytime naps so I have to rock her while on contact nap position.

They start grabbing toys and putting everything in their mouths.

No crawling or independent sitting for my own child but possible for yours. Mine just rotates in a circle. We practice rolling over a lot.

I started using repetitive singing and phrases with certain songs and phrases. Same good morning song, same Ms.Rachel video once a day, same “pucci!” Sound when I take off her diaper. She recognizes these and gives the biggest cheesy smile.

She recognizes herself in the mirror.

Such a fun time and they become much more engaged with you.