3-6 months - What’s next?

@benvi85 Sleep changes! My newborn could sleep anywhere at any time. Between 3-6 she stopped sleeping on the go (way too interested in what’s going on). She used to nap on and off until around 10pm when she’d sleep for the night—but then she started a self imposed bedtime of 7:30pm. It took a lot more work to get her to sleep; rocking her, dark room, sound machine, etc. We became very focused on how to get her to sleep and it took a lot of our day.

Your baby has a built in personality! Likes and dislikes will come out. Ours hated baths, the stroller, and the wind. She loved any electronic she could get her hands on (their hands will start doing what they want now), drooling, light up toys. The preferences change quickly too.

@rtuite So interesting! LOL about the wind! I’m scared of sleep changes. Feeling like we’re just getting that part kind of figured out 😅 How do you know when they are putting on a self imposed bedtime? Mine was around 9pm for while but now I feel like she’s done for the day around 8. Do we just change it and see what happens?! I guess so!

@benvi85 Yeah we thought we had a great sleeper and then the 4 month sleep regression rocked us. Instead of just going right back to sleep at night, she had to be rocked to sleep and gently put in the bassinet to not wake her up. And this was like 2-3 times a night.

For the self imposed bedtime, she basically stopped doing the 8pm wake window and was just powering down at 7. Even if she hadn’t been up long, she would get super fussy, start eating a ton, and falling asleep at 7:30. We had to rush to get through dinner because she was so ornery. So we decided ok fine she goes to bed then and she started going to sleep much faster.

@benvi85 Honestly, and in my experience I loved 3-6 months. You can still set them down on the floor to play. They aren’t crawling yet but rolling around is fun to see. They start with their cute little babbles and look like a baby rather than a freshly born. You get to see them get interested in new things like colors, books, textures. It is really a wonderful time in my opinion.

@benvi85 If breastfeeding, a very distracted baby! Feeds which took 5 mins before are stretched to 15 mins now. It goes like..
" Mommy! I am hungry.."

"Oh look! The dog is stretching."

"Mom!!! Hungry!"

"Oh hi dad! I haven't seen you since the last second!"

"HUNGRYYYYYY!!! *SMALL SCREAM"

"Oh hi dad! I haven't seen you since I last saw you just a second ago!"

"Mother! I am hungry and you shall provide your services this second "

"I am just gonna be distracted because I can"

Screams

"Let's just stop feeding to test mum's patience"

Feeds profusely for 2 mins - milk spraying EVERYWHERE

"Oh hi dad! smiles"

"OK mummy all done!"

@jparadise Omg forgot about this! Happened to me at 4 ish months and caused me so much stress and anxiety! The distracted phase will pass. She suddenly lost interest in feeding and went through phases of only wanting bottle unless she was sleepy. I was so concerned about her not getting enough! Try not to stress too much - they’re getting more efficient at eating and at least for us, the phase passes.