2.5 year old and 4 languages. I am confused and worried

kennethkivumbi

My native language is Turkish, my wife's is Bosnian and we have been living in Sweden for nearly the past 6 years. My wife learned some Turkish but we speak English among each other, as we have always been. Unfortunately we still don't speak Swedish very well since we work in international companies where the main language of communication is English and Swedish people are very good with English so we never felt a great need to learn it. You always get by with English on your daily life here.

When our son was born, we were confused whether to follow the OPOL technique or introduce English alone to avoid confusion. Although my wife was an OPOL advocate (I suppose like the majority here), I was in favor of getting him up to speed with his speech by introducing only one language. I will admit I was a bit impatient to have a meaningful chat with him and thought it would take him much longer to master too many languages and level one up to a fluent degree. Now, I see how capable babies are and regret my decision a little bit. Luckily, my wife, breaking free from my ignorance, decided to introduce Bosnian more intensely when he was 16 months old. Meanwhile, yours truly was still adamant about English alone.

Now, he is very fluent in English, possibly using over a thousand words and forming 4-6 word sentences. He's also fairly fluent in Swedish, which he was exposed to daily in daycare since he was 14 months old, and he can have simple conversations in Bosnian with his mother. Seeing his impressive language skills, I finally decided to introduce Turkish. Here's how it played out

Sitting in his room one evening, I grabbed a book that has a dog on the cover and gathered my courage, nervous and excited to see his reaction when I speak in Turkish with him for the first time..

ME: Bak, bu bir köpek. (meaning: look, this is a dog)

HIM: (perplexed, his brow furrowed) WHAT?

ME: It means "look this is a dog" in Turkish. You know that I speak Turkish with my parents and friends. I want to speak in Turkish with you too.

HIM: No, no, no, no, no (as in bro don't you dare to bring up one more language now) , it is not pöpük ( starts crying), it's a DOG.

Ever since, all the attempts I have made have been met with a similar response. He just doesn't want me to introduce another language. The reason I really want him to learn is that it finally dawned on me that, although I am fluent, I am not a native English speaker. I feel insecure around native speakers when I am speaking with him and don't want a language that we don't speak perfectly to be our main means of communication. Although I love English, I guess I am a bit frightened of being judged. I know it's silly.

Have any of you been in a similar situation? How can I introduce Turkish at this point? Also, do you think our not-so-perfect English will leave a mark on him later in life?

@kennethkivumbi Here's a very good article on introducing a language to a child when they've already started speaking. Specifically, this article is when the author's eldest was 2.5yo.

https://chalkacademy.com/speak-minority-language-child/

Here's another good article on how to carve out enough time for further exposure.

https://bilingualmonkeys.com/how-many-hours-per-week-is-your-child-exposed-to-the-minority-language/

Further, you guys need to switch to just Bosnian and Turkish at home. Given Sweden is very good at teaching their entire nation to be proficient in English, just leave Swedish and English to the community and the school system. There's really no need for you to be teaching English if the school system is going to do it for you.

@aldredian Wonderful, thanks for the articles.

As for switching the language at home, it's actually quite challenging. Bosnian and Turkish are entirely different languages. It will take a considerable amount of time for either my wife or me to become proficient enough to establish one of these as the primary means of communication at home. Additionally, after all these years, it feels somewhat strange to communicate with my wife in a language other than the one we've always used.

@kennethkivumbi Sorry. What I meant was you guys switch to OPOL with your wife speaking Bosnian and you speaking Turkish. English can still be the family language or just the language you and your wife communicate in. As in, you guys speak to each other in English but when you turn your head to speak to your son, you switch back to your respective language. Yes, you might have to translate for each other but not a problem.

it feels somewhat strange to communicate with my wife in a language other than the one we've always used.

And this is actually the crux of it when it comes to passing on languages to our children.

We are not TEACHING them a language. We are establishing a relationship with our children using our language of choice.

You have established a relationship with your child at this point in English. You will get a lot of pushback and resistance right now because kids, assuming yours is still young, is very resistant to change. It's also just "weird" because why is dad now speaking something I don't understand? To this day, I get goosebumps whenever my mum tries to speak to me English (not often). My entire relationship with her was built on Mandarin so for her to switch to English was just weird for me. Similarly for her, the other day, we didn't want my son to understand us so I asked my mum to switch to our dialect (which I could only understand, barely speak it) and my mum struggled. This dialect is her mother tongue but because our entire relationship was built on Mandarin, switching to our dialect on me was just weird for her.

Anyways, you need to preservere. There will be push backs but you have to push on if you want to see success.

@aldredian Sorry, that was my misunderstanding. I get your point now.

>Similarly for her, the other day, we didn't want my son to understand us so I asked my mum to switch to our dialect (which I could only understand, barely speak it) and my mum struggled.

This struggle is not foreign to me at all. Though I thought I was the only one going through it. I am surprised to see that it is potentially common.

@aldredian
You will get a lot of pushback and resistance right now because kids, assuming yours is still young, is very resistant to change. It's also just "weird" because why is dad now speaking something I don't understand?

Oh, yes, I remember showing a friend's son (around 3 or 4 at the time) the original (English language) title song of his favourite children's TV show, which he only ever watched in German. He listened to it for a few seconds and then made it very clear that he wanted me to switch it back to German. He didn't seem extremely upset, but it was a break from routine and it did make him uncomfortable enough that he wanted it to stop.

@eriksun I've experienced that. I watched Beauty and the beast in Mandarin first when I was a kid. I couldn't watch the English one (at first). Too weird.

@kennethkivumbi do your parents visit often? either you start really spending quality time with him and speaking in Turkish or the only hope now is that the grandparents pass the language to him and you all speak in turkish when together.

@katrina2017 They visit once or twice a year, staying for a total of 2-3 weeks, unfortunately. But you are right, these visits can at least instill some interest in him. If they teach him the basics, it would be easier for me to take over and carry it forward, I suppose. Grandpa is really playful; at 49, he still has a lot of energy. He loves spending time with him, but they haven't been able to see each other for the past 9-10 months. It's time to invite them for a longer stay now I guess.

@kennethkivumbi We have similar situation, with four languages. We each speak our native language, kids learn local language at school, and listen and understand english when we (parents) speak to each other.

@shawnchristfollower1980 In practice, I’d say we learn the language at a basic level through listening, eg food stuff, animals etc. not necessarily conversational level.
But no, we don’t feel excluded when the other parent talks with the kids. It also works as being my quiet time when the other parent is talking with the kids.

@kennethkivumbi Man, kids learn faster than you and me both combined and what’s is amazing about is that they do it while trying to understand the world around them and actively observing your body language and speech.

Don’t forget that there is an embedded language in all of us, which we are born with trying to understand the world. When we are learning a second language (which is spoken mother language and the body language through culture) we often forget to use the first one (gut feeling).

My little nephew will learn the languages and his way of presenting himself will be shaped by his experiences, I pray all beautiful and positive ☺️ Just you focus on teaching him the world’s language 😄 Like our parents did or we did ourselves. Water flow and find its way and you are already paving a beautiful way for him.

@kennethkivumbi Hahaha so cute.. Dont force him.. By the age 3-4 yrs old, when he starts to communicate intensely with your turkish friends and family.. He will pick it up easily without you realize it. Now that he speaks 3 languages already, it will be easier for him to speak the next language he is exposed to.