yOuR bOdY iS mAdE fOr ThIS

simons

Full disclaimer, I completely understand how this line can give people comfort and if that works for you, super!

But I’m really tired of reading this line at 31 weeks. Idk, maybe it’s because I’ve been see-sawing between hungry because the smaller portion I’m eating to help with heartburn actually isn’t filling my stomach, or indigestion because wait one more bite means it’s too much food for my stomach. And that’s not even including the increased fatigue, and the whole can’t breathe as easily, difficulty sleeping.

So I’m not sure if my body is made for pregnancy. I just want to eat a whole burrito without feeling ill.

@simons Not sure if this helps, but I agree with you. Our bodies really aren't made for this like other animals. Naturally, without medical intervention, humans have some of the worst birth outcomes among any mammal on earth. We evolved in a really weird way (I've seen various talks on how our babies got bigger but our bodies didn't catch up with the change). Don't let people gaslight you into toxic positivity lol

@mamajobrooks Also, they way we shifted to biped really did a number on our lower backs and our pelvis isn't exactly ideal for the situation. It's like we still haven't evolved a good way to deal with all the weight that is now put on the sway of our lower backs, plus how modern life makes it even worse.

Someone else said this before, but I definitely agree if you need a little positivity lol. We may be structurally screwed, but at least we aren't horses

@simons Oh for real. It can be a great motivator for some, and for others a slap in the face for feeling less perfect if they're struggling. Same for if any intervention is needed.

Mine was doritos. I was obsessed with eating them but had the worst cramps and headaches after. Like why not let me eat the dang crisps body?!

@simons I get out of breath even rolling over at night sometimes. I can't bend down to wash my legs without feeling sick or uncomfortable so I've had to buy a back washer loofah with a long handle to make sure I can still get my legs comfortably. I struggled to put shoes with shoelaces on today. These are only a few of the things I struggle with. I'm only 29 weeks 😅 yeah my body may be made or designed for this but that doesn't mean it has no affect on the rest of my body/bodily functions/life in general 😂😂

Luckily I've only heard this comment directed at me a few times, once or twice from a man, but mostly from nurses and midwives or even other mothers who say it to comfort me when I express how nervous I am about actually giving birth. I don't mind it in the context of "it's alright, plenty of people give birth every day and they're fine, you'll be fine", when talking specifically about labour. I like it less when it's about the rest of the pregnancy haha

@simons 30 weeks here and for the past month I’ve been known to exclaim ‘it’s 2021, there has to be a more efficient way of having babies now than actually being pregnant!’. I’m tired. I ache. I’m cranky. Everything is gassy. I am bored of people and their need to comment on everything

@simons Agreed! Just because female bodies are made for procreation does NOT mean it's easy for everyone. That line is so dismissive and does what people have always done to us for eternity - dismiss our pain by calling it "discomfort", tell us we're being dramatic or hysterical and not believing us or taking us seriously.