Wife’s water broke at 31 w / 4 d - scared and alone

anon9000get

My wife’s water broke Christmas Eve morning, she is currently 31 weeks and 4 days old. She’s been admitted into the hospital and given steroids to help develop our baby’s lungs and antibiotics via IV and orally. The plan is bed rest at the hospital and hope and pray that we can keep the baby inside my wife for as long as possible, target 34 weeks.

We’re both extremely scared and afraid though my wife is really strong. I’m scared for her risk of infection along with her having to endure (hopefully) weeks in a hospital. Additionally we’ve both read and heard how premature babies in the 32 or 34 week period are at high risk for long term emotional and intellectual impairments not to mention the physical challenges of coming into this world without fully developing senses; I’m hurting so much thinking of seeing our baby in the NICU with feeding and breathing tubes.

Does anybody have experience with this and can offer some reassurance? Anybody raise a premature child and can quell our development concerns? How can I help keep my wife strong and support her during her stay in the hospital?

I really just feel like my world is crumbling around me and don’t know what to do.

@anon9000get Try and stay strong for your partner going through this.

I was born at 26 weeks and I survived and am just fine. All I've got is asthma and ADHD.

It can be stressful but modern medicine is absolutely amazing and your partner and baby have amazing odds in their favour.

Deep breaths and see if there is anything else to be done before baby gets here to help keep you busy.

@juraganloak Thank you so much! We’ve heard how babies around this gestational age are likely to develop emotional challenges in addition to being more challenging when they come home from the NICU due to their higher anxiety and stress. Have you experienced that in your patients?

@anon9000get Early preterm I would worry about this... You guys are so close to full term (37 weeks) that I would not worry about long term issues at all!!! Lots of babies are born even earlier than yours and they are absolutely fine. :) Seriously, do not worry!!!