Which one of these jobs would you take as a working mom?

rubym

Job1: M-F With traffic it will probably be out of the home 6 am until 4-6 pm. 5 weeks vacation. (Also lower stress while I’m there as well).

Job 2: M-F 6 am until 6-8 pm for 2 weeks, then one week of nights, then one week off. Also about one 48 hr weekend shift once a month. Total is 16 weeks off. The down side is, the 2 weeks i am on day shift, i may barely be able to see him (if at all) but the i’ll have some timr with him when i work nights and on my week off.

As a parent - which job would you accept?

(We will be using both day care and a trusted au pair, as my husband is working crazy hours as well).

@rubym Probably job one of those were the options. My current job is 12 hr days four days a week but im fortunate that my partner is a stay at home dad so i can do that.

@rubym The first one would provide much more consistency which I think is crucial for kids (and us adults probably more than we are willing to admit sometimes). Especially if the child is younger this would be a better scenario.

@rubym I'd always take the first job except if you love shift work. Normally, shift work is asking a lot of your body and is not recommended. Also, when using day care I don't think that you can bring him there for two weeks, but not for the following two weeks. You'd at least have to pay all of the weeks, even if you're not using them. And for him it's a shift in reality every two weeks, that's exhausting. With the first job you might not need an au pair and can enjoy your regular weekends. As he grows up he'll have that time table anyways because of school, so it makes sense to work when he is in school.