What's working in big tech (e.g. FAANG) as a parent like?

twerne

Hey parents, so I've been thinking what kind of benefits or allowances are accessible to you as parents or caregivers while working in Big Tech companies (Facebook, Amazon, Google, etc.). Are they legal where you live or the company just offers them as perks? Are you comfortable working with non-parents folks? Are you provided with some flexibility in case of anything happens that might require your attention? I am also curious as to what would be your role also and how would you score your overall work/life balance.

I might be simplifying a complex matter, but still wanted to gauge what's it like.

Thanks!

@twerne Yes tech companies often have a sort of work life balance in their benefits, though the huge tech companies have their bouts of selfish demand from employees (for example recent Twitter 100 hour weeks)

@twerne I don't work for a FAANG but I live in the SF Bay Area and I work in biotech and my husband works in fintech. We have 2 kids. Jobs are fairly flexible, husband is permanent WFH since covid and I WFH ~50% of the time. As long as we get our work done, no one is micromanaging hours or anything. But our kids are in full time care 8-5:30/6 other than illness, school closures, etc. as are most/all colleagues.

California has pretty generous maternity (18-20 weeks at ~60% pay up to a max IIRC) and paternity (8 weeks at same pay level I think) leave and most big employers will make up the difference to your full salary, some might also offer additional paid time off up to 6 months.

@twerne Partner worked for one and now works for another. Work life balance is completely dependent on 1) role and 2) location.

He’s in data centers. No work life balance. Worked through the whole pandemic. Didn’t get full access to their internal carerer leave. Total bait and switch from the year long interview claiming all these benefits.

We also found out 1 out of the 2 he’s worked for is awful in regards to disabilities and he’s actually on long term disability because of PTSD as it relates to his tech job and how they handled his disabilities.

They’re not all they’re cracked up to be.

@twerne not in one of those companies but I've been in tech for about 25yrs or so. In all of the big companies I've worked in, more than half are parents and it's fine. You're over-thinking it.

@twerne My husband works for a smaller tech company as a software engineer. He works from home and basically sets his own hours(they don’t really care what he works as long as his work is done by the deadline). He usually works 7-3 mon through fri. Some weeks if I need him to be off he will take off a weekday and work the weekend instead. It’s been pretty great for us. I stay home with the kids so it’s nice having him home when needed. He also gets paid hourly so they rarely ask him to work over 40 hours a week and if they do he gets paid time and half. Which is nice. Only downside is his benefits suck. He gets no paid time off and our insurance is $700 a month. He does get paid more though to compensate for not having those benefits so I guess it evens out.🤷‍♀️

With that all said he’s looked into working for a bigger company to get better benefits but most do tend to overwork you since most are salary jobs they expect 50 hours a week and he doesn’t want to do that. So it probably depends on where you work. Just do research into the company and you should be fine.

@twerne I’m at one now and have worked at another. Benefits are solid and offered regardless of legal state requirements. You have to remember, these are giant international companies trying to offer great packages so they can secure the best talent.

There is a pressure to perform and if I have to miss a day/afternoon, I often make up that time at night or on the weekend. It’s role and company dependent but “flexible” doesn’t characterize my experience.

But yes, of course there are tons of parents around. Lots of experienced workers in their 30s and 40s so many have children.

Back